Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

New Edelbrock super victor ls3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by streetknight2
In the mean time, I now have to sell the Super Vic and the Dominator. Using an adapter is out of the ? since I have hood clearance issues
And this is exactly the issue I imagined would take place when I first saw the pics of the new intake.

The design is too tall for most street/strip applications, and they could have easily made all the same improvements with a lower overall height.

This manifold will be a flop, if anyone from #Edelbrock is reading, get in contact with me if you'd like to some fresh thinking brought to the table!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there zero clearance? If you have 1/2, even a 1/4", you could make an adaptor ?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the design of the manifold.

It was not geared for street/strip applications. That is what the Junior is for.

It is an all out, budget minded single plane manifold and I love it.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I love the design of the manifold.

It was not geared for street/strip applications. That is what the Junior is for.

It is an all out, budget minded single plane manifold and I love it.

Agree
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 PM
TECH Regular

Okay, well the Vic Jr L92 is listed as having a carb pad height of 7.40" (WRONG!) when realistically it would be roughly just over 6" or there abouts when bolted down, and the new L92 super vic is listed as 7.67" (sounds realistic looking at pics @ 1/2" shorter than Mast intake) which is a heap higher than the Jr intake. So I would say there is around 1.5" difference in overall height.

Personally I think there is still a market for something in between, the larger runner could still be incorporated into a lower plenum height, and like all intakes the end user adds their own desired spacer plates if required.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 AM
On The Tree

Is the 4150 super Vic out yet?
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Let me rephrase so I don't confuse myself mainly lol.

I was told my engine was borderline for a dominator. Some shops say I need one, most say I don't.

I don't want a dominator on the car because now my class is putting 75# on 4500 equipped cars. So, 4150 it is.

As far as the tuning, the current carb on the car is my Pro Systems 950 that was done for the 6.0 (It's all I had) It's just too damn small for the motor and can't get the AFR where we want it because of that. I ordered a `1000cfm 4150 today, so we will see how that goes when it arrives.

In the mean time, I now have to sell the Super Vic and the Dominator. Using an adapter is out of the ? since I have hood clearance issues
I'm going to have to disagree with who is tuning your car on the carb being too small. Sucks that you're buying another carb for it. Hopefully you get it sorted out without spending too much more $$.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like to have that intake......what size is the dommy?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:07 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
I'm going to have to disagree with who is tuning your car on the carb being too small. Sucks that you're buying another carb for it. Hopefully you get it sorted out without spending too much more $$.
Here's how I'm at the conclusion the 950 is TOO small for the 408. I made a pass and data logged AFR, it's at 10.8:1. This is with the same jetting as the 6.0 motor that was 13.0-13.2:1 AFR. Logical step is to jet the carb down right, since it's rich. I go down 3 jet sizes, AFR picks up to 11.4:1 car goes faster. I continue logging data pass after pass and keep jetting the carb down UNTIL I get to a point when the car is lean on the hit because the jetting is too small and it's still WAY too fat on the big end. The carb can only flow so much air and it can't flow enough for this engine.

If you know something I don't to make the carb work, please enlighten me. Keep in mind this is a "950" carb, but it only flows 840 cfm. I've talked with Holley, Quick Fuel and every Boutique builder I can find and they all say the same thing about the 950 being too small, it's acting like a Restrictor on the engine, they all spec'd something between 980-1020 cfm for my application.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast89stang
Like to have that intake......what size is the dommy?
1050 dominator
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverls1z28ofdeath
Is the 4150 super Vic out yet?
Middle to end of July is what they told me yesterday
Old 06-18-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Here's how I'm at the conclusion the 950 is TOO small for the 408. I made a pass and data logged AFR, it's at 10.8:1. This is with the same jetting as the 6.0 motor that was 13.0-13.2:1 AFR. Logical step is to jet the carb down right, since it's rich. I go down 3 jet sizes, AFR picks up to 11.4:1 car goes faster. I continue logging data pass after pass and keep jetting the carb down UNTIL I get to a point when the car is lean on the hit because the jetting is too small and it's still WAY too fat on the big end. The carb can only flow so much air and it can't flow enough for this engine.

If you know something I don't to make the carb work, please enlighten me. Keep in mind this is a "950" carb, but it only flows 840 cfm. I've talked with Holley, Quick Fuel and every Boutique builder I can find and they all say the same thing about the 950 being too small, it's acting like a Restrictor on the engine, they all spec'd something between 980-1020 cfm for my application.
What is the venturi size of the carb? Are you doing anything with the air bleeds? I would put the jetting back where it was, and increase your high speed air bleeds. In the end, you're going to end up with larger main jets too.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com.a...arbs/58-rq1050
Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VLS1
Okay, well the Vic Jr L92 is listed as having a carb pad height of 7.40" (WRONG!) when realistically it would be roughly just over 6" or there abouts when bolted down, and the new L92 super vic is listed as 7.67" (sounds realistic looking at pics @ 1/2" shorter than Mast intake) which is a heap higher than the Jr intake. So I would say there is around 1.5" difference in overall height.

Personally I think there is still a market for something in between, the larger runner could still be incorporated into a lower plenum height, and like all intakes the end user adds their own desired spacer plates if required.
I agree with your logic, but it's not as simple as taking away pad height and being able to incorporate a larger runner still.

The taller pad height gives them more wiggle room to add more taper to the runner, especially at the plenum entry. They can also leave more meat there for someone to go in and port it afterwards.

Adding a spacer to the Junior will add more plenum volume and it would definitely help that manifold. Plenum volume aside, taper is a very important, useful and powerful tuning aid when it comes to "tuning" the intake tract to make the most power through a given RPM range.

Adding taper to a runner can often times allow it to act much like a shorter runner would without actually having to shorten it. It will carry power further like a shorter runner would while making more power throughout the operating range. Even at the beginning of the operating range at lower rev's. Effectively broadening the torque curve which will always equate to faster E.T. at the track.

Quick Reply: New Edelbrock super victor ls3