Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

73' AMC Hornet LS"x" build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73' AMC Hornet LS"x" build

me and my dad have a 1973' amc hornet x that has been an on going project. we've put a lot of time and money into it. but now it's time we did the lsx swap. what all is involved to convert it from efi to carb? instead of buying a drop out motor set up we decided to just buy a complete 99 trans am with an ls1/6spd.(struck a deal we couldn't refuse) motor is all stock except the cats were removed and it has an aftermarket intake lid with k&n drop in.

our reasoning for wanting to go efi to carb is so that we have control of the tune of the vehicle (and so that we don't have to pay $400 everytime we need a new tune) and also for simplicity.

general info on the Hornet "x": complete control freaks suspension setup (IFS, triangulated 4link, qa1 adjustable coilovers on all 4's, subframes,ssbc brakes (front), built 8.8 ford rear with 3.73's. 8 point cage and wheel tubs in the works as well as some other suspension stuff.

Last edited by BIG_K; 02-19-2014 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:26 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You gotta get some pics in here son.

EFI to carb is the easy direction to swap. Just get a carb style pressure regulator and reuse the EFI pump and tubing.

What EFI pump do you have, does it have enough capacity to support your horsepower goals?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Cool build! Just to throw this out there, One of the self learning EFI setups would give you control of the tune+ give you a self learning function so new changes would be cake simple. I use the fast EZ EFI and a dual plane intake/custom cam with my LS3 swapped 72 Camaro. I like it a lot, both for the simplicity and ability to easily custom tune /experiment from the driver seat. Just a thought, carbs are great too. Just a little more involved to tune.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The sticky at the top of this section has a lot of info for you to read.

Basically, you give the box that controls the ignition power, the MSD units are simple and have a lot to offer.

Then you use whatever carb you want.

Then the tuning and fun begins.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Pictures are required.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger
pictures are required.:p
plus 1 !!
Old 02-20-2014, 04:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by newschool72
plus 1 !!
plus 2 !!!!!!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Teching In

http://theamcforum.com/forum/my-proj...67_page14.html
Locked out of photobucket, but here's the thread of the car on an amc forum with pics of the progress of the car over the past few years.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is that Nashrod a concept of a future build , or something you have completed. That's some out of the box thinking right there! Very cool!

I do have serious concerns about the daily driver though. You know that 80% of all Fords are still on the road? The other 20% actually made it home. JK!
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 PM
Teching In

It's a current build. My dad envisioned this a few years ago. And we got the body about a year ago. The custom chassis fabrication will begin after the hornet is lsx swapped. At the rate we're working it will be started around late march-early april. And the DD has been a very faithful car with no issues other than wear and tear. Got me through college. I must say though, a lot a gto's (04-06) have caught my attention lately at some of the local dealerships and I've been very tempted to trade it in. The 83' Spirit GT is going to get ls swapped as well. But that will be after the hornet is completed.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_K
It's a current build. My dad envisioned this a few years ago. And we got the body about a year ago. The custom chassis fabrication will begin after the hornet is lsx swapped. At the rate we're working it will be started around late march-early april. And the DD has been a very faithful car with no issues other than wear and tear. Got me through college. I must say though, a lot a gto's (04-06) have caught my attention lately at some of the local dealerships and I've been very tempted to trade it in. The 83' Spirit GT is going to get ls swapped as well. But that will be after the hornet is completed.
I had an 05 M6 GTO for a couple years. I liked it a lot, but to be honest, from a fun driver stand point that gets great mileage, I liked my 99 Z28 M6 I had before the goat. It had great handling and ran good for near stock. On regular all weather tires I could get 13.5s at 107 and , if I drove it carefully knocked down 28 MPG, mostly highway.
Oh and still waiting on PICS! Zone says , if you don't show pics, it aint happening !
Old 02-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Here's the build thread with pics of the nash project:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/nashty-...opic52765.html

The spirit and the Nash are on the backburner since we're wanting to get the hornet done. Teardown of the hornet and it's donor car (98 t/a ls1, m6) will start sunday.

Quick Reply: 73' AMC Hornet LS"x" build