Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Dual planes the ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Dual planes the ticket?

As some of you know, Im sitting around bored ,with nothing better to do than read magazines while I recover from a back surgery. Ive been reading anything I can on tests with LS platforms and am seeing huge advantages with the dual planes over singles with cathedral port heads. One test I read was on a 5.3 w TFS 220 heads, a cam with 228-230 at .050-112. They tested the single plane vic jr against the eddy dual plane. The power crossed over at 4800rpms like you would expect, but below 4800 the dual crushed the single by as much as 59 ft lbs at 3500 !! the single eclipsed the duel at 4800, but only by 3-4 HP all the way to the red line. In the end, the average power from 3000 to 6500 had the dual ahead by 16 avg HP and 18 avg TQ. It really falls in line with the results Tigger got with his Buick when he swapped out. The dual had a better 60ft with the single showing a very slight edge at the end of the track. He got results from the dual plane in short times when he was actually using the lower RPMs, then the very small HP advantage of the single showed up when he stayed in the upper RPM register going through the gears.
The question is, does the guy putting a new street ride together want a 10th or less better ET on the few times he goes to the drag strip, or does he want to enjoy a 30-50 HP and TQ bump while he cruises around , day to day?
I also saw another test comparing the eddy dual plane 2x4 intake against the vic jr. Everyone expected the single to run the show against an old school 2x4 intake design. Didn't happen ! the 2x4 intake made significantly more power down low and when the single came on hard at the end , all it could do was MATCH the power the dual plane was making !
For the guys on here that are drag strip oriented with the drive train built of drag racing, and are banging gears at the track every weekend, the single is the obvious choice. For the guys that go to the track 3 times a year and loves to mess with the rice burners at the local Saturday night hangout, you are wasting some fun HP and TQ wearing that single plane on your LS.
Just my thoughts on it.Whats yalls?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry you are bored buddy. LOL.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedtigger

Sorry you are bored buddy. LOL.
LOL!! What? this topic has been brought up before?
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i see the purpose of a dual plane on an extremely mild setup. maybe a 4.8 that is gutless down low. or a lifted truck with 35"+ tires. with my 6.0 with trick flow 225 heads i have absolutely no problem cruising around down low on the street. i dont think i ever really go over 10-15% tps. when i'm toying with the ricers i'm not giving it 50% throttle like they make you believe in too fast too furious. it's ***** to the walls....which leaves me under 4800 rpm absolutely none of the time.

at the track i have a 4600 converter and shift 7k and drop the rpm back to about 6200...so once again, that power below 4800 is not even touched.

in your tests, did they swap to a cam that was geared towards the single plane when they swapped cams? if not, that magazine is only usefull as toilet paper.

Last edited by TXsilverado; 03-18-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

From what Ive gathered the cam profiles are pretty close on the dual plane and single, but Im no cam expert. If you take the post in the nature it was given, I just believe there are a lot of guys running single planes, well because everyone else is running them. Why? I believe that's what was more available when folks started sticking carbed intakes on LS1s. The one article is on a 5.3 with 220cc heads and a cam with 228-230 durations. For 326 cid that's some big heads and a pretty steep cam. Both would lead you to believe the engine would want to rev high and play right into the single plane wheel house. It wasn't the case. Well, not by much (3-5 HP above 4800). I just think everyone wants to go for the glory numbers at the right side of the dyno graph, and most of them would enjoy DRIVING the car with the extra grunt down low. Ive been convinced for a while that a smaller cube LS3 headed engine will do all it will do with a dual plane. I didn't think that was true with the cat head engines, but Ive yet to find a dyno graph that shows a single making better average numbers than a dual. In fact , the duals have averaged double digits better.
TX, the point I am trying to make at the beginning of this thread doesn't apply to you anyway. With a 4600RPM stall, you are in the track guy category. Thing is, a lot of newbees come on here and ask for a nice street setup and they should know they don't have to run a 4600 RPM stall and a cam in the 230s to have a street car that will haul a$$ with an LS carbed engine.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:39 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Big cam and converter=single, everything else, double is usually where it's at.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a mild setup dual plane is the ticket for sure.. This is an interesting video..

Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

So much conflicting info out there. The only way to know for sure is to try both yourself. I'm about to find out.
Why does the dual plane make more torque ? there's not a big difference in runner length, about 7.5" for the dual and 8" and 3" (avg 5.5") for the single. That's not a huge difference, and if you even less % wise if you measure to the valve.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, Im waiting on pop n wood. He claims single planes are a mans intake
Old 03-19-2014, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by snook
Lol, Im waiting on pop n wood. He claims single planes are a mans intake
LOL. Yea, if we were all light weights like he is, there would be no reason for a dual plane. A go cart will FLY with a Briggs and Stratton ! His car weighs the same as most of our cars, if we pull the drive train!

Quick Reply: Dual planes the ticket?