Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

need mad info / thoughts....

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need mad info / thoughts....

Ok I'm back in the LS game. Been gone for a couple of months and found out Ford = JUNK. Im not 100% ignorant when it comes to these motors but I'm actually going to try and build one (with factory parts) that better than the last one.....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...rous-guys.html

Yeah I traded the car off for a Ford and after extensive research have come to the conclusion that fords are junk. (Unless making a cleavor but thats another thought) Anyways im rambling now and heres where I'm at....

Yep a 68 Ford Mustang and I'm going to bastardize it.

Heres where I sit now..
Lq4
799 heads
Ls2 floating rods and pistons

Following? Iron Ls2

I have a tsp228r cam showing up.
A powerglide will move it (bought a brake for it also)
And of course my big shot plate will be used
Heres my questions..lol

1) What should I use for an intake? (Single or dual plain)
2) Is this motor going to be enough to get up and go with the transmission being a 2 speed?
3) What fuel pump should I use to power both the carb and solenoid?
4) lifters? Ls6 or Ls7? Will the Ls7 need a different push rod?
5) What sized carb? Im pretty sure the 650 i bought for the 302 is not going to be beneficial.
6) Is there anything I need to address?

Thanks for your time. John
Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Knight

Yep a 68 Ford Mustang and I'm going to bastardize it.

Heres where I sit now..
Lq4
799 heads
Ls2 floating rods and pistons

Following? Iron Ls2

I have a tsp228r cam showing up.
A powerglide will move it (bought a brake for it also)
And of course my big shot plate will be used
Heres my questions..lol

1) What should I use for an intake? (Single or dual plain)
If you are going to spray more than 150 hp, nitrous companies recommend a single plane intake as they say funky things start to happen with distribution in a dual plane manifold above that level. But, like anything, I have had a couple guys say they have successfully sprayed more.

Also, if you plan on having a stall converter of 3500 or above, I would go with the single plane.

2) Is this motor going to be enough to get up and go with the transmission being a 2 speed?
Glides are great for light or high powered all out racecars. You can run faster with a glide in those scenarios. So, if you are building this car primarily for nitrous, it would be a good choice.

In a street car with lower to moderate HP levels, a glide can be doggy to drive around. The low numerical first gear ratio will create more slip in the torque converter too. This can make for a very poor driving experience for a street car and slower ETs if the car does not have the power to weight ratio to make it work. Also, a glide with require a higher stall RPM to work off of the nitrous

3) What fuel pump should I use to power both the carb and solenoid?
It depends on how much nitrous you are going to run. I have successfully sprayed a 81n nitrous jet (approx 200hp) with a Aeromotive Street Strip pump. If you plan to go bigger than that, you might want to look at the next step up. I am pleased with Aeromotive. I know people who have good luck with Magnafuel too. The very best, in my opinion, is Weldon, but they are expensive and noisy in my experience. My buddy has a pair of the new Holley HP 150 pumps. I was impressed with how quiet they are, but I don't know how well they keep up as his car does not make a lot of power.

4) lifters? Ls6 or Ls7? Will the Ls7 need a different push rod?
Same lifter. The "LS7 lifter" has replaced the standard lifters, so they are all the same now.

5) What sized carb? Im pretty sure the 650 i bought for the 302 is not going to be beneficial.
A 750 or 950 Quick Fuel would be my choice. I like the Q-series carbs.

6) Is there anything I need to address?

Thanks for your time. John
That camshaft will be fine for general duty if you are getting it cheap, but if you plan of spraying this thing 200 or better, I would get one with some more exhaust duration. Also, with that camshaft, I would install it on a 107 to 108 ICL. It will work with the single plane manifold better advanced a little.

Last edited by speedtigger; 03-03-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Hey John,

You should start a build thread here and on YB...

Andrew (aka andrewb70 elsewhere...)
Old 03-03-2015, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks speedtigger.
Andrew. I need more pictures 1st
Old 03-04-2015, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Anyone else have any other opinions?
Old 03-05-2015, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone else have any other opinions?
Speedtigger gave you solid advice on everything. I fully agree with his input.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Bought another cam.....it may need the pistons flycut...

Cam A:

Cam B

Which one should I use? I paid $200 a pop for them (I could have had one custom cut by now but ohh well...)

Thanks
Old 03-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Old School Heavy

If your combo is all about the spray, I would run that 235/243 113+4 for sure. Off the spray, it might be a little doggy on the launch, but on the giggle juice that won't be an issue. Just make sure you are clear with your torque converter guy with what you are doing. The stall converter choice will be important.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
If your combo is all about the spray, I would run that 235/243 113+4 for sure. Off the spray, it might be a little doggy on the launch, but on the giggle juice that won't be an issue. Just make sure you are clear with your torque converter guy with what you are doing. The stall converter choice will be important.

What do you think the chances are to not have to flycut? Ive ran a bigger duration before (without flycutting) but not this amount of lift.

The last 5.3 with the trex inspired cam was pretty doggy off the juice. Expecially with the 3.55 gears on 28" tires. Im going to try to stay with a 26" tall this time.

Also the guy "freakshow performance" on ebay sounds pretty good, ever try them? Theres a mega thread on the bullet about them.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:57 PM
Old School Heavy

What do you think the chances are to not have to flycut? Ive ran a bigger duration before (without flycutting) but not this amount of lift.

The last 5.3 with the trex inspired cam was pretty doggy off the juice. Expecially with the 3.55 gears on 28" tires. Im going to try to stay with a 26" tall this time.

Also the guy "freakshow performance" on ebay sounds pretty good, ever try them? Theres a mega thread on the bullet about them.
The 235/243 113+4 will have these valve events:

IVO is 8.5 ° BTDC
IVC is 46.5 ° ABDC
EVO is 58.5 ° BBDC
EVC is 4.5 ° ATDC
Overlap is 13 °

That cam should have acceptable valve clearance as long as you don't mill the heads more than .010". But the saying goes: Check it, so you don't wreck it.

As for the torque converter guy you mention. I don't know. I use Circle D for my lock up stuff and I have friends who have great success with PTC for the non lock up stuff.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you for your time.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

A little update.. I went with the big cam and also put together a powerglide. The glide is not 100% done (needs valve body) but the 6.0 is. Unfortunately I'll have to cut a hole in the hood. Between the vic jr and the nitrous plate i will not be able run an air filter. (Even with a 2" drop base and a 1-3/4" filter. Thats ok ford made a scoop thats been been manufactured in the aftermarket.
Attached Thumbnails need mad info / thoughts....-20150804_144105.jpg   need mad info / thoughts....-20150629_143212.jpg  
Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedtigger

A 750 or 950 Quick Fuel would be my choice. I like the Q-series carbs.
Just curious with this part of your response.

Why 750 or 950 Quick Fuel? You got something against the 850 carbs?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by VLS1
Just curious with this part of your response.

Why 750 or 950 Quick Fuel? You got something against the 850 carbs?
That is an old prejudice left over from the original Holley HP series carbs. In the HP Series, the 950HP was actually just a 750HP with an 850 baseplate. Thier actual flow was about 830 cfm. Both the 750 HP and 950 HP Holleys are good carbs for a 6 liter street engine. The 850 Holley carbs actually have a bigger venturi and can be a little lazy at lower RPMs on smaller engines with tighter street converters.

However the Quick Fuel 750, 850 and 950 carbs are actually just what they say. Their venturi sizes actually increase proportionately. So, that recommendation should have just been for a Quick Fuel 750 Q series for what the OP is doing.

While I have not held one in my hand yet, I think the new Holley Ultra series are true CFM ratings also.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

They are still are off. But now they go the other way. The Ultra HP 950 actually flows 1025 cfm. Not sure about the 750, and 850.

Quick Reply: need mad info / thoughts....