Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Msd 6010 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Msd 6010 trouble

My motor will start once in awhile but usually not. Its high compression stroker. I've tried the box on another similar motor and it is better. Both seem to have to crank awhile before they lite. Last year it started quick but it was lower compression motor. I've tried an extra battery to only run ign while cranking. I hate to have to buy another brand ign but I'm stumped.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive read of this issue with people with 24x enignes.

Maybe try 24v starter, spin it faster. I read somewhere that helped somone out in a 13.5:1 deal
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

This one cranks a lot faster than my other one. Both are strokers, in jet boats. This is the one with turbo. I just put a new block in it after breaking my other block a month ago.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hook a laptop up to the unit while cranking. See what the cranking RPM is. If it is zero than the unit is having issues reading the crank sensor.

What idle timing are you running? Backing off on that helps. You can just set the 500 RPM value to something stupid low and the 1000 RPM to what you want when it is running.

Also are you running a MAP sensor and if not did you zero out the map curve? That will really make it hard to start. That mistake on the 6010 cuts in something like 22 degrees of advance all the time.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks

Thanks for reply. Cranking rpm is 185. Timing is barely above zero . map timing is adding some. Not much tho. I'm going to try reducing plug gap next. Its already down from 35 to 25. Going to try 20 and maybe 15. It lites my other motor which is same c.i. and compr. But it has more overlap in the cam which probably reduces cranking compr.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you resolved your starting issues on this one ?
Old 07-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default No.

No. Ordered new cranksensor but don't have it yet. I doubt its the problem but I'm willing to try it. Next I'll swap the box back to my other boat, then maybe put that box in this one or swap harnesses.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Launching!

If you need a Daytona Box let me know
Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thanks

Thanks. I can't figure it out. I put the box on my other boat and it fires right up even tho its nearly identical motor and a weaker battery. It seems like it must be in the wiring harness but I've checked every wire. New crank sensor and can sensor didn't help. Haven't tried coils but how could 8 coils all fail at once?
Old 07-26-2016, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OkieDave
Thanks. I can't figure it out. I put the box on my other boat and it fires right up even tho its nearly identical motor and a weaker battery. It seems like it must be in the wiring harness but I've checked every wire. New crank sensor and can sensor didn't help. Haven't tried coils but how could 8 coils all fail at once?
not likely have you hooked up a lap top to see if it has cranking rpm and a cam sync ?
Old 07-27-2016, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

Default Wiring harness

I swapped the wiring harness over to my other boat. Fires right up. Seems like it has to be coils or maybe bad new crank sensor. Learned one thing. It runs without connecting can sensor.on laptop It doesn't show cranking rpm but neither does the one that runs.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, the car will run without a cam sensor. Without a cam sensor you have a 50-50 chance of it starting up correctly or backfiring from be 180 out of sync
Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Coils

Swapped in a different set of coils, still no spark. Maybe I bought a bad new crank sensor.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

It might be the reluctor wheel. Many years back people with a certain brand of aftermarket crank couldn't get the MSD box to work. MSD actually came up with a firmware fix that corrected most of the problem. But every now and again I still see people complain about a motor that just does not work with the MSD unit.

You might try contacting MSD directly. They have been pretty good about reflashing people's boxes.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
It might be the reluctor wheel. Many years back people with a certain brand of aftermarket crank couldn't get the MSD box to work. MSD actually came up with a firmware fix that corrected most of the problem. But every now and again I still see people complain about a motor that just does not work with the MSD unit.

You might try contacting MSD directly. They have been pretty good about reflashing people's boxes.
I've called Msd a couple of times. So far, no help. Its a scat 4.125" crank just like the one in my other boat. Looking in the hole where the crank sensor goes the reluctor appears to be about dead center of the hole.I'm going to try one more crank sensor. Looking at other cranks in my shop its hard to imagine one of them coming apart but ...
Old 08-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default Running!

Got it running today. I put in my old megasquirt box and harness from when I was trying to run Efi. It fires ign just fine. Lots of extra wires that I don't need. Now I have to figure out how to change the timing on it.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Default Spare Msd 6010

Got my timing set with ms3. Now I have an extra Msd with harness. It works fine on my other boat. Don't know why it wouldn't fire my turbo boat. It did last year. Anybody needs one, I'd sell it. Or advise to get Daytona sensor box instead.

Quick Reply: Msd 6010 trouble