Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

The Red Beast gets dyno'ed again! 1,029BHP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone who dogs this car/project is seriously misguided. That is one hell of a piece of work! And I say congrats to EVS for building one of the most unique and awesome cars I've ever seen.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
Anyone who dogs this car/project is seriously misguided. That is one hell of a piece of work! And I say congrats to EVS for building one of the most unique and awesome cars I've ever seen.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

you girls can bitch, whine, and get your thongs in a knot about a supra engine being in a camaro, but overall the car looks sick, hauls ***, and it's definately a one of a kind custom job. excellent work.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phantom_LS2
Originally Posted by Devylyst
you girls can bitch, whine, and get your thongs in a knot about a supra engine being in a camaro, but overall the car looks sick, hauls ***, and it's definately a one of a kind custom job. excellent work.

Thanks for the praise and support. The car will be featured on Hot Rod Magazine for everyone to check out. Look out for that issue! Some people can't accept change and something radically different. Hot Rodding is all about being unique and different. The car was recently awarded 6 different awards from the NCCA (National Custom Car Association) and ISCA (International Show Car Association). If the pros (NCCA, ISCA, Hot Rod Magazine) thinks its cool I think we are on the right track. Every award it has one was a 1st place award including; Best Engine Setup, Best Performance Theme, People's Choice Pick of The Show (an obvious crowd pleaser award), Best Pro-Touring, etc.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Never would have even thought of that. Great work on the car, and you should do an engine dyno just to have a dynograph with 1,000 hp on it (I wouldn't post it on here, look what mentioning ricer has already started). But you've got an awesome car that will be the envy of alot of people, and the fact that you got a Supra engine into a Hot Rod magazine is no less than amazing.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Great job, it's kinda cool and all but looking at the graphs it seems like this thing has no power down low. what's the deal with that? If you wanted to get some "big block" low end grunt out of this 1000 hp engine you would have to set the idle at 4k or put in a 6k stall, lol
Old 12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
Launching!

yea i must say that idea looks like it came straight outta tokyo drift lol, sweet car though didn't think anyone would do it, although i guess we can let em have one car for all the 400s we put in the rx-7s lmao, nice car, kool idea, and everyone seriously needs to chill the flock out, damn haha
Old 12-10-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

evs- I can appreciate the car. Not my cup of tea but it is inovative. I would rather swap an LS1 into a silvia.

SC300- You are a tool that needs to get out of LS1tech and go preach your ricer logic some where else. You want to compare cars of the same year, take your celica and put it up against a ZR-1. Give me 40K and I'll build a car to smack the **** out of your cars. In fact hit me up in about a year and I would be glad to line up. Oh wait maybe you'll get better gas mileage then me.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats EVS on a very unique and amazing ride!!
Old 12-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Such mass hysteria over one well built and cleanly designed ride. Props to ya EVS
Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

entertaining
Old 12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny thing, put this on the Supra forum and they would be excited to see 2JZ tech in an old skool camaro,
Put and LS1 in a Supra and they would be ready to shoot on site.
But if you go to the Rx7 forums, they love putting LSx and 2j/1j motors in them...b/c they are a lot more reliable than the rotary.
Just my 2 cents.
By the way nice project!
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is like the nismo mustang from tokyo drift (mustang with an rb26dett).

the car looks good and the workmanship is very nice. congratulations on your awards
Old 12-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

TO the OP very unique build. definitely reminds me of the mustang in tokyo drift. but hey, that was a pretty cool car too.
As far as the whole 2jz argument. you boys can drool all you want but aparently you've never seen a car with a 427 LSX solid roller. NA you can easily make 6-700WHP with good heads. add some nitrous bam 900-1000WHP. last time i checked you guys needed A LOT of boost to make that kind of juice.

Last edited by km346; 12-30-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by km346
TO the OP very unique build. definitely reminds me of the mustang in tokyo drift. but hey, that was a pretty cool car too.
As far as the whole 2jz argument. you boys can drool all you want but aparently you've never seen a car with a 427 LSX solid roller. NA you can easily make 6-700WHP with good heads. add some nitrous bam 900-1000WHP. last time i checked you guys needed A LOT of boost to make that kind of juice.
yea this guy runs 37 psi !!! imagine running that amount of boost threw a 427 LSX.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not my cup of tea, but thats what its all about! And I have a 67 camaro. Props on the really clean install, people just want to bitch about too much...everyone thinks 240s w/ ls1's are fine, so why not this? He didnt do it because that was the best way to make power, he did it just to see yall bitch
Old 01-13-2009, 02:04 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A couple of points. I know the point has already been made, but you might want to figure out the actual HP loss through the drivetrain rather than using an estimated percentage loss method which on a bigger HP car is going to really skew the numbers. Using a percentage on a "street" engine is fine. But, people get hung up on a percentage because its easy to use, and it skews the number to represent power that isn't there.

The bottom line that you will find when going from and engine dyno to the chassis dyno is that for a fixed combination, the loss will be pretty much consistent. in other words if you loose 100HP in the driveline at 500HP, you will loose 100 HP at 600HP.

So, in short I think your numbers are off by a fair margin. It would be most accurate to just post the RWHP numbers and forget trying to extrapolate crank HP unless you go bolt it on a dyno and have some numbers to compare it to...

With regards to putting a 2JZ into a Camaro, I wouldn't do it personally. But, to each his own. If the owner is happy with it, they don't need to justify it to me. I've seen every sort of engine swap imaginable. I didn't agree with many of them. But it wasn't my car. So it doesn't really matter.

I would like to point out however that getting 529RWHP is very achievable on pump gas naturally aspirated by a wide variety of engines based on the Chevrolet family.

Making 820 RWHP on race gas is pretty academic as well. Not all that hard... I could cite any number of very solid combos that could make those sorts of numbers all day long....

As an example I've seen a 632 that will make over 1091HP at the crank on 91 Octane pump gas. 820 RWHP is no slouch no matter what engine is making it. So, please don't think I am diminishing the achievement. Its a very solid number and I am sure the owner is very happy with those results.

With regards to the car itself I looked it over at the Autorama. The things that my friend and I immediately noticed were that the bottom of the pasenger side door sticks out dramatically so it appears that the lower rocker and quarter panel don't fit properly. Was the car really tweaked on that side?

While a personal preference thing, the wheels and tires were out of scale to the wheel openings and to the rest of the car. I would recommend something going a bit smaller to get rid of the "Tonka Toy" look of the car.

The other thing that jumped out to me was that you could see the gaps for the new dash and see the knarly old dash under it. I would suggest blacking that area of the windshield out or fixing the issue.

The last issue that was odd was the fact that the stitching between the dash and the seats and the console was different colors.

I used to judge car shows, and those were just a few of the items that jumped out to me about the car. I could point out several others but it would probably come across as being nit picky. I only pointed those items out as if you wanted to compete in shows with it those would be the items I would palce some attention towards. If the intenet is just to enjoy it as a driver then drive the wheels off it and have a blast.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

the beginning of this thread is so funny!

Quick Reply: The Red Beast gets dyno'ed again! 1,029BHP!