Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

shock question Any 4th gen guys successfully doing auto x and drag racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock question Any 4th gen guys successfully doing auto x and drag racing

I have a potent 02 Camaro making around 500hp and tq at the wheels running on stock shocks and straino 1.25" drop springs and straino 35mm hollow front sway bar and adjustable rear sway bar. I want to be able to auto x competitively and still be able to drag race. I disconnect one of the end links of my front sway bar for the drag strip to allow the front of the car to rise but I need to upgrade my shocks. If money was no object what shocks should I get to be able to do both. If possible

I run 315 35 17 rear and 275 40 17 front for auto x
and 325 50 15 rear and 275 40 17 front for the strip (I install the stock rear springs when I put these tires on)

Last edited by TwoSS'sinNY; 01-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Auto x is my main goal and from what I read koni's are the obvious choice for auto x, but can I adjust them loose enough to get weight transfer for the drag strip?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I would go with QA1's. They will be the best all around for what your planning to do.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 5LTRETR97
I would go with QA1's. They will be the best all around for what your planning to do.
Very wrong, that would be one of the worst choices for what he wants to do. QA1's, no matter what they advertise, are drag shocks, and act like drag shocks. They don't control the spring or the car, which is great for launching but horrible for handling or ride quality. Ive been in a car with QA1's, it was an utter joke when it came to handling, the car was sloppy as all hell and you couldn't hope to be competitive with them auto-xing.
The shocks you want are something like Koni SA's. I have Strano springs and his swaybars as well with the konis, and the konis hands down made a bigger difference in handling, control and feel than both the springs and swaybars combined.
According to Sam he has had customers switch off their QA1s for a set of Konis (because they hated the way the car drove with the QA1s) and ended up getting better 60' times with the konis.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

Can't you adjust those QA1's to maximize what you are trying to do. I have the Strange SA's and they work great. But I heard that QA1's were good. Guess I was wrong. What about KYB's? I heard those are good as well. Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can't you adjust those QA1's to maximize what you are trying to do. I have the Strange SA's and they work great. But I heard that QA1's were good. Guess I was wrong. What about KYB's? I heard those are good as well. Thanks for the correction.
No, not really. Just because a shock is adjustable doesn't mean its valved correctly to do "both". And just because you can make them "stiff" certainly doesn't mean they will handle, stiff is not what you want, stability and control is.
Heres a great example:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ml#post8344345
The strange shouldn't be any better for handling either, those too are drag shocks and will either be too floaty, loose and soft or too jarring rock hard.
KYB AGX's are supposedly a decent shock for handling, the major downfall to them is they adjust rebound and compression with the same **** so its like a double edged sword. If you want more rebound for better stability and overall handling you are also stuck with more compression which will hurt ride and make the car more choppy. On top of that their build quality is very iffy and they don't warranty their shocks when used with lowering springs.

Oh and to the OP, heres a post about dragging QA1's vs Konis:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-60-konis.html
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I know Strange makes a drag shock, but the ones I bought from BMR, i don't think, were labeled as drag shocks. I could be wrong though. Or were you simply saying the Strange shock acted like drag shocks? Thanks man.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Ask in the Auto-X section or the suspention and handeling section for the best answers.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sweet. Thanks for the info. I know Strange makes a drag shock, but the ones I bought from BMR, i don't think, were labeled as drag shocks. I could be wrong though. Or were you simply saying the Strange shock acted like drag shocks? Thanks man.
To my knowledge strange only makes one shock for our cars, and thats a drag shock.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

I autocross and use Konis

Quick Reply: shock question Any 4th gen guys successfully doing auto x and drag racing