Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Exhaust System/Mufflers 02 SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust System/Mufflers 02 SS

Just got a 2002 Camaro SS, bone stock, 35th anniv. edition, auto. Has the center exhaust. Would like to eventually change the mufflers to something better sounding and of course a little louder.

Have heard much about Borlas, and Corsas for these cars.

What do u all like, prefer, pros/cons on both kinds? What do u all recommend? Not looking too much for performance but more for that deep rumble sound!

Apprec your input!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice! By "35th Anniversary Edition" do you mean it's a 35thLE? (Red with stripes)

As for the exhaust, I would ONLY change out the mufflers and/or the headers/y-pipe. Definitely keep the cat-back CME configuration since it's the most sought after, and thought to be the best looking by many.

I too have a 35thLE with the CME setup, and the previous owner took the liberty of putting the SLP Loumouth I bullet resonator (muffler?) in place of the stock CME crossflow. The car sounds quite loud and will definitely provide that loud and powerful sound you're looking for - at very little cost. You can buy the resonator from SLP, but a muffler shop will have to put in a few custom pipes to make it "swappable."

Here's a video (although I do feel that exhaust videos and sound clips never do ANY exhaust system the justice it deserves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4MJSKZA_Q

EDIT: I see from another thread that you do indeed have a 35th! Head over to the LE forums at: www.35thLE.com
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have slp loudmouth 1 n love it!! But I don't think I'm loud enough
Old 04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

BronxBull, thanks for the info and the link and the video of your car! Sounds great! I will be checking into SLP and how to get the Loudmouth 1.

Also since I am totally new to 4th gens, & am learning more about them, can someone tell me what CME stands for? Thanks!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

"Center. Mount. Exhaust."
Old 04-18-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I left the CME cat back and put long tube headers & off road y-pipe and the car sounds great.It is a waste of money too change that muffler out my car has run 11.88@113 w/ just bolt-ons threw that muffler.Spend the money on headers & off road y-pipe instead.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for ALL the info! Am learning so much on here, but probably still will have a bunch of qstns on other things which will be a separate thread.

The other thread from the guy who was looking at the blue 02 SS gave me lots of info too!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
I left the CME cat back and put long tube headers & off road y-pipe and the car sounds great.It is a waste of money too change that muffler out my car has run 11.88@113 w/ just bolt-ons threw that muffler.Spend the money on headers & off road y-pipe instead.
Depends on your primary goal. Many enthusiasts are not looking for big time performance or improved track E.T.'s, but rather a nice crisp sound to go with the stock LS1 that they're sporting.

It sounds as though this was the OP's goal, and if so, I would still recommend for him to simply swap the restrictive stock cross-flow muffler out for the straight through Loudmouth resonator. So, a waste of money it is not, unless you're building a racer.

1) The parts are much cheaper for this muffler swap (probably a fifth of the cost, if not less).
2) The install time/cost is much cheaper, as opposed to headers and a y-pipe.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i really like magnaflow.....i had one on my 95 z28 and it sounded really deep...quiet at idle, but it really opened up when you pressed the gas......i have straight pipes on my 98 and the 95 sounded better
Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

We are not going race this car so mainly want a better sound and a little louder, well, maybe a lot louder.

Plan to keep it stock, except for the muffler(s)--here's another qstn: one or 2 mufflers? Told ya Im learning! Thx again!
Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maromoma
We are not going race this car so mainly want a better sound and a little louder, well, maybe a lot louder.

Plan to keep it stock, except for the muffler(s)--here's another qstn: one or 2 mufflers? Told ya Im learning! Thx again!
If you choose the Loudmouth route, you'll need just one resonator. Mine is positioned before the axle so the muffler shop would need to:

1) Remove the stock muffler
2) Cut the piping just before the axle to make room, and install the resonator here
3) Use extra piping to fill in the area where the muffler was removed from.

P.S. The loudmouth is quite loud! Start up is great, idle has a rumble to it, and WOT is very loud. And of this is all with stock manifolds.

Cold start of Loudmouth resonator/CME combo, with stock exhaust manifolds and stock y-pipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOGtjlX4csE
Old 04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

i have my lm1 and love it!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:45 AM

Slp loudmouth 1 is the best exhaust. I did my research before buying it and i love it. Everyone gives me compliments about it. I don't even have headers, y-pipe, and high flow cats yet and it sounds deep and good.
Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like the way we want to go. Not planning on any add-ons, just want that nice deep sound!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

I just got LM1 on my all stock 02 WS6. WOOOW its soo amazing. Its deep as hell and the drone is AMAZING!! Really its not crazy loud but it is 2x's louder than stock. Idle is almost like sex, especially on a cold start up! WOT is just amazing! I LOVE IT! I have a video but it does no justice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6we-DaSQ3I
As said before this video does no justice. You have to be there and ride in it to get how it actually is!

Last edited by mesterious; 04-19-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Bronx Bull i am just saying that the factory CME muffler flows great for stock and the price u pay for it from SLP seems like a waste of money too change it out.I am sure my car would go no faster w/a aftermarket muffler and a muffler wont give u the HP headers & a off road y-pipe will but i understand were your coming from and just wanted to give my 2 cents.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
Bronx Bull i am just saying that the factory CME muffler flows great for stock and the price u pay for it from SLP seems like a waste of money too change it out.I am sure my car would go no faster w/a aftermarket muffler and a muffler wont give u the HP headers & a off road y-pipe will but i understand were your coming from and just wanted to give my 2 cents.
I agree, although the Loudmouth will give you almost double the exhaust tone, which is the OP's intent.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

I have the stock SLP CME muffler.
What is this "restrictive" muffler talk??

I do have the SLP y-pipe. I know it didn't add any horsepower but it did deepen the exhaust note just a bit from stock.

I'm putting down 330 HP and 342 TQ with my restrictive SLP CME factory muffler.

Having said that I too would like a louder muffler. I think the LM 1 or 2 is great sounding. But I would like to know what just adding ARH Longtube headers to my factory cat back CME sound?? I just want my exhaust a little louder not a lot louder and raspy.

Quick Reply: Exhaust System/Mufflers 02 SS