Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Black Smoke At Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Black Smoke At Full Throttle

Hi, i currently own a 1999 Camaro SS with 82k miles on it. The other day i was driving with my cousin he had his mustang and was driving behind me, so i decided to puncht the gas. He said that a black cloud of smoke came out when i did it and it smelled really bad, kind of like gas or oil im not sure. What could this be coming from? Remember it only does the smoke at high revs.
Thanks for the help
Old 07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black smoke = very rich. If its got LT headers and was never tuned that would be your answer right there.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
Black smoke = very rich. If its got LT headers and was never tuned that would be your answer right there.
Every car does this, not only cars with LT's..... just means your going WOT and the computer automaticly ignores O2 sensors and gives the ok to push Max fuel to the injectors to run rich which is what you need when u go full throttle.... Its normal dont worry man...
Old 07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Every car does this, not only cars with LT's..... just means your going WOT and the computer automaticly ignores O2 sensors and gives the ok to push Max fuel to the injectors to run rich which is what you need when u go full throttle.... Its normal dont worry man...
your wrong, 95% of cars dont shoot a puff of black smelly smoke when they go WOT. Plus when your WOT the comp doesnt automatically push all the fuel it possibly can, its called a tune.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
your wrong, 95% of cars dont shoot a puff of black smelly smoke when they go WOT. Plus when your WOT the comp doesnt automatically push all the fuel it possibly can, its called a tune.
ive seen mini vans do this too.. alot of cars do it, obviously some more than others. some u cant even see.. and yes it pushes as much as possible but not to the point were it will starve for air.. and its called open loop, goes back to closed loop when going back to normal driving operation and starts reading O2 sensors again..... my friends new mustang (at the time it was new) would do this all the time when i would try to pass him pretty fast and he would just gun it.... I work with cars all day and i know what im telling u.. if it was not at WOT then yes it would need a tune... this is mostly common on v8's though

Last edited by mannyman84; 07-08-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

most cars DO NOT do this. This typically only happens with high mileage cars, modified cars, or cars that are not tuned or need a tune-up.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
most cars DO NOT do this. This typically only happens with high mileage cars, modified cars, or cars that are not tuned or need a tune-up.
Not true. Like I said my friend bought a rustang with 20k miles and it would do that. It's just going into rich mode as you floor it all the way that's why it does that. Just excess fuel that's it no bIggie
Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mannyman84
Not true. Like I said my friend bought a rustang with 20k miles and it would do that. It's just going into rich mode as you floor it all the way that's why it does that. Just excess fuel that's it no bIggie
so just because some stupid ford does it that means every car does? lol
Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

no car is supposed to do this. NONE. not even deisels. black smoke is a sign of unburnt fuel, lost horsepower, reduced efficiency and it is bad for everything it touches on its way out. if this is happening to something that is stock it means you have an issue somewhere whether its with timing or fuel delivery. it may be hard to chase down but i am guessing it has lit of an ses light. when this happens to modded vehicles it is the sign of a bad tune.

unburnt fuel can do a number of things, it may harm your cats, and your o2 sensors. it can even make your o2's read this as a lean condition since the fuel is not burnt. making the condition even worse. in extreme conditions it can wash your cylinders down and even contaminate your oil. it will spike your cylinder pressure leading to detonation. and despite popular belief it can make your engine run hotter since the fuel burns slower. this kind of rich condition is bad in every way not to mention it makes the back of your car look like crap.

so in short, this is not normal in ANY way, shape or fashion. unless you drive a big unlimited John Deere Tractor at the tractor pulls.

Quick Reply: Black Smoke At Full Throttle