Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Some Third Gen Camaro Questions Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Third Gen Camaro Questions Help?

Next week I'm possibly going to be getting a 1991 Camaro RS V6. And it is in a non running state, so before I swap it out to a V8 I want to CLEAN THAT ENGINE BAY!

So I know so far that I am wanting to relocate the battery to the rear of the car. And I don't know what would be better but I want to relocate or remove the washer fluid reservoir. But this is also going to be a DD so I think it would be best to keep it...

Where could I relocate the reservoir if I can? And what else can I remove/relocate to clean the engine bay? And do the third gens have power steering? If so I would like to remove that. And for it being a DD should I remove AC? And what can I do about hoses all over the engine? Cause I want to swap a LS engine for lighter weight(aluminum block,aluminum heads) THanks
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 AM

Light weight isn't why you swap in an LS1. Power is.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:56 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remove power steering?

It sounds like you're trying to set up a race car, not a driver. I would not do any of the things you've mentioned. I would clean it up and do an engine swap, but unless it was a track-only car, I'd not remove anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by demonspeed
Remove power steering?

It sounds like you're trying to set up a race car, not a driver. I would not do any of the things you've mentioned. I would clean it up and do an engine swap, but unless it was a track-only car, I'd not remove anything.
Heard that power steering makes engine bay more cluttered is this true? If not I will not remove it
Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Light weight isn't why you swap in an LS1. Power is.
agreed but i do it for both
Old 08-25-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1_SIK_SS
Heard that power steering makes engine bay more cluttered is this true? If not I will not remove it
The only clutter your going to see is the pump/resevoir and lines. To be honest, if your going to DD this vehicle, then I wouldn't remove the power steering. But if you must, then go with a manual rack. As for relocating the battery, its not hurting anyone where it is. However, if your set on moving it to the rear, keep in mind the all the wiring involved and you will definately need a battery box with some sort of tie down.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sweet_SS
The only clutter your going to see is the pump/resevoir and lines. To be honest, if your going to DD this vehicle, then I wouldn't remove the power steering. But if you must, then go with a manual rack. As for relocating the battery, its not hurting anyone where it is. However, if your set on moving it to the rear, keep in mind the all the wiring involved and you will definately need a battery box with some sort of tie down.

Okay I'll keep the power steering it looks like, and thanks for the info on the battery relocation
Old 08-25-2010, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Remove the windshield washer resevior. It probably barely works anyway. The power steering, all the lines, etc are tied into the engine and would be dependant on if and when you are doing the LSX swap.

Are you trying to get it running first or just remove stuff to get the motor out? Timeframe?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Remove the windshield washer resevior. It probably barely works anyway. The power steering, all the lines, etc are tied into the engine and would be dependant on if and when you are doing the LSX swap.

Are you trying to get it running first or just remove stuff to get the motor out? Timeframe?
removing stuff to get motor out, and clean up the engine bay for when I have money for the new ls more engine to go in. Which as I see it, is probably going to be a while...

Quick Reply: Some Third Gen Camaro Questions Help?