Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Is this as bad as putting SS badges on a V6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say tons of people will give u ****, but who cares, the hood is for looks. if it was badges it would be u being an idiot. i say do it
Old 06-30-2011, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Latch
An LS1 swap is horrible advise? How? Maybe he could skip the LS1 and go straight to a built 6.0 with a 4L80 and a 9 inch.
1) no resale value.
2) you can buy a clean lower milage SS for the same amount of money you'll be into this thing for all said and done.
3) the difference in insurance prices between a V6 and V8 isn't that much.
4) .... Better hope you know what you're doing or know someone who does... Or this thing just became that much more expensive.

The only way a swap would be worth it is if you built a motor to put in it... Otherwise a stock LS1 is a total waste for the reasons above.

Sorry to jack ur thread OP.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:23 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by baalic
I've seen more then a few 3.8 GNX twin turbos running 10's........
I highly doubt that. There were only 547 GNXs built, most are stock show cars. To see "more than a few" will be rare for most people; and the probability of seeing several that are modded is exponentially less (especially modded to the degree of a twin turbo conversion).

Also, there is no need for twins to get a turbo Buick into the 10s. There are tons of TRs running in the 10s with single turbos, some in the 9s too. A twin setup seems to be pretty universal once you get beyond the 9s though.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly any mods on a v6 is pretty lame in my opinion besides some wheels....its a v6 camaro its not supposed to be fast but its your car
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
1) no resale value.
I don't think many people on this forum are worried about their car's resale value. Otherwise they wouldn't have H/C setups, nitrous, big stalls, etc. on their cars. The minute you start modding your car even with just a catback the resale starts going down the drain.

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
2) you can buy a clean lower milage SS for the same amount of money you'll be into this thing for all said and done.
What if he has an attachment to his car, and doesn't want to get rid of it? I know a guy who had an LT1 Z28 and put an LS1 in it, was that a horrible thing to do?
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Regular

Its just a hood. Half of the people you see wont even know its an ss hood. Put that **** on it. As for the ls swap dont do it. If you want to do a swap sell your car and buy a small lightweight car and swap that.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think many people on this forum are worried about their car's resale value. Otherwise they wouldn't have H/C setups, nitrous, big stalls, etc. on their cars. The minute you start modding your car even with just a catback the resale starts going down the drain.
That's because they're on V8 cars built to race, not a V6 Camaro built to putter around town in. Resale doesn't "go down the drain" with common mods like catbacks and lids, either; you're just not going to see any increase in sale price because you have basic mods done.

What if he has an attachment to his car, and doesn't want to get rid of it? I know a guy who had an LT1 Z28 and put an LS1 in it, was that a horrible thing to do?
Is the worth of that "attachment" greater than the cost of doing everything for an LS1 swap, when he could likely find a LS1 car for less than the worth of the V6 car + swap costs? *shrug* But, suggesting a 16-year-old swap a V6 for an LS1 isn't feasible for more than a few reasons.

Anyway, to the original topic, there's nothing wrong with swapping an SS hood onto a V6 car, any more than there is swapping a WS.6 hood onto a sleek beak (because everyone knows the WS.6 has the Corvette motor and all the other cars just have iron-block smogger 350s). Badges and performance mods on a V6 are another thing entirely.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Do the cosmetics mods! There is nothing wrong with taking pride in the way your car looks. Do not misrepresent what motor is in there. If your trying to get in to racing, take the 6 to the track on test and tune night. You can begin to learn. If not, clean the looks up with a few cosmetic mods and enjoy. No rice, I repeat no ricey ****. Good luck with your camaro, enjoy it an go pick up some females LOL!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

To the OP:

Do what you want to make the car uniquely yours. My first vehicle that was truly mine was a 1989 S-10 with the 2.5 liter 4 banger and the dog dish hub caps. It was bright red and had no rear bumper or even a radio. Was it fast? Not at all. But I made it uniquely mine by putting some black Chevy rally wheels on it with BFG tires, blacking out the grille and adding an S-10 Baja bowtie emblem (black with red outlined bowtie) on it, adding the factory black fender flares, larger mirrors, a factory black rear bumper, shaving the fender emblems, tinted windows, and a stereo. It was a good looking little truck. Sure - I could have left it stock and just saved for something nicer. But the truck was MINE and I (tastefully) personalized it and took good care of it. The skills you learn personalizing your own vehicle and maintaining it will give you a leg up when you buy something nicer down the road.

So - my advice is to do what makes you happy. Learn what you like and what you don't. Just don't be a poser by adding SS or Z/28 emblems.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If its not an ss then its not an ss its a god damned v6! Why the hell put ss badges on it?! Thats my opinion but its your car so whatever works for you!
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

This man speaks truff. I am in the middle of a 6.0 swap in my car. **** the resale value it was my first car i paid for and i will never sell it. I wanted dependability over the optispark so i choose an ls motor. I wanted it to be somewhat quick so i decided on a cammed lq9. When i finish that ill be stuffing a 5.3 in an old little isuzu pickup truck that my mother gave me to get to school in when i was 16. Yea these cars are worth pretty much nothing and are not the prettiest vehicles but they mean something to me.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Yea these cars are worth pretty much nothing and are not the prettiest vehicles but they mean something to me.
i think they are the best looking cars. corvettes arent ugly, but looks alone, i would still rather have camaro or firebird over the corvette.

new challengers are the next best thing as far as looks.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
To the OP:

Do what you want to make the car uniquely yours. My first vehicle that was truly mine was a 1989 S-10 with the 2.5 liter 4 banger and the dog dish hub caps. It was bright red and had no rear bumper or even a radio. Was it fast? Not at all. But I made it uniquely mine by putting some black Chevy rally wheels on it with BFG tires, blacking out the grille and adding an S-10 Baja bowtie emblem (black with red outlined bowtie) on it, adding the factory black fender flares, larger mirrors, a factory black rear bumper, shaving the fender emblems, tinted windows, and a stereo. It was a good looking little truck. Sure - I could have left it stock and just saved for something nicer. But the truck was MINE and I (tastefully) personalized it and took good care of it. The skills you learn personalizing your own vehicle and maintaining it will give you a leg up when you buy something nicer down the road.

So - my advice is to do what makes you happy. Learn what you like and what you don't. Just don't be a poser by adding SS or Z/28 emblems.
X2, again a lot of you guys need to READ the thread before you give advice. I doubt this kid has the funds or knowledge at 16 years old to build up a motor or swap a LS motor in the car, I know I didn't when I was 16. Just enjoy the car and do some stuff to it and ENJOY it! Its a nice car for a first car!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you're happy with your V6 then there's absolutely nothing wrong with increasing its visual appeal, like adding a nice hood. Just don't make it fake by putting other trim level badges on it.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

all you ******* cry babies please STFU.

GM put SS badges on every ******* thing. hell with what others think, resale value, insurance, and all that bull ****. do you think you own a gold nugget cause the factory slapped a couple SS badges on the side of a car? hell no. if it were my car i'd clone it to look like a LE and do a bad job at it just to see the looks on you're faces. it's just a car. His car. whats it matter in the end? go home and stick it in you're tail pipe..... it's just a car.

to the op build it and don't give two ***** about what anyone else thinks. just enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My dentist owns two GNX's and "boost performance" started off with upgrading t types and Gnx.. Then a guy we did work for once has a Gnx in his garage. Then I saw another at the track running 10's.. That's at least 4 in this town alone.. And I hear all the time how rare a ws6 is but in Amarillo if I don't see 5 in one day, I didn't leave the house.... Jussayin...
Old 06-30-2011, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by lethal bird
Yea these cars......are not the prettiest vehicles
Speak for yourself.

There are few cars that I like as much or more than the 4th gens, in any category (including appearance).
Old 06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by baalic
My dentist owns two GNX's and "boost performance" started off with upgrading t types and Gnx.. Then a guy we did work for once has a Gnx in his garage. Then I saw another at the track running 10's.. That's at least 4 in this town alone.. And I hear all the time how rare a ws6 is but in Amarillo if I don't see 5 in one day, I didn't leave the house.... Jussayin...
WS6s are not rare. 10s of thousands were built, with production ending just 9 years ago. GNXs (real ones) are rare, there were 547, and they were built 24 years ago.

I still call BS on you "seeing more than a few" GNXs with twin turbo conversions running 10s. T-types, Turbo Ts, Regal/Regal Limited turbos and Grand Nationals are not GNXs.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmith564
all you ******* cry babies please STFU.

GM put SS badges on every ******* thing. hell with what others think, resale value, insurance, and all that bull ****. do you think you own a gold nugget cause the factory slapped a couple SS badges on the side of a car? hell no. if it were my car i'd clone it to look like a LE and do a bad job at it just to see the looks on you're faces. it's just a car. His car. whats it matter in the end? go home and stick it in you're tail pipe..... it's just a car.

to the op build it and don't give two ***** about what anyone else thinks. just enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!
It's settled. I'm going to go put Ferrari, ZR1, Z71, and GT350 stickers on my Trans Am. Screw what everyone thinks, my car is a unique butterfly!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Speak for yourself.

There are few cars that I like as much or more than the 4th gens, in any category (including appearance).
When i said that i was more or less talking about my truck.

Quick Reply: Is this as bad as putting SS badges on a V6?