Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My Z28 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Z28 Build Thread

I'm going to start out by saying that this build is going to take a long time. The combination of the price to modify your car plus going to school, makes it really hard to buy anything.

I got this beautiful 2000 Camaro Z28 on Dec. 31st 2011. I bought it off of my brother with about 135,700 miles on it, for a really good price. I never had intentions of modifying it, I wanted to keep it stock. But, hey I know that a lot of us said that but then you just get an itch to modify it, and by then you can't stop. Lol.

I plan on making this car into a corner carving monster. Once I finish modifying the suspension I plan on attending track and autocross events. In addition, to many cruises through these beautiful Southern California mountains. Here are some pics.

Mods I plan on doing:

Engine (Before I do any of these, I want to get a baseline dyno, just to see where I'm at.)
SLP Lid
SLP Smooth Bellow
SLP LM2 Exhaust
A good H/C package with all accesories i.e. timing chain, pushrods, valvesprings, etc. (undecided, gotta stay smog legal)
STS Rear Mount turbo

Exterior
Ultra Z Hood
Berger Panel w/chrome letter inserts
17 inch chrome ZR1 Wheels with 275's up front and 305's or 315's in the back

Suspension
Strano Springs
Koni Adj. Shocks
Strano front and rear sway bars
Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace
Maybe some SFC
Some LCA's (not sure on the brand yet)

Driveline
MGW Short shifter
New clutch (not sure which one yet)
New rearend with gears (3.73's? 4.11's? What do you guys recommend for a corner carving car?)

I might be missing some things, but that's most of it.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this either, so if it isn't, moderators do your thang.

Last edited by 2000Ls1zzz28; 01-04-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Not sure if this is the correct spot to post this build.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Teching In

After having the car for over a year I finally did my first few mods. On Christmas Day I placed an order for a UMI Short Stick for my factory Hurst shifter. I received and installed it on 12-29-12. That is some fast shipping! Here are some before and after pics.
Before

After

Before

After

Overall I like this stick very much. For the price you can’t go wrong. Not only does it slightly decrease the shift throw but I can actually feel the shift a bit better now. This is just a temporary thing, because I plan on installing an MGW short throw shifter in the future.

Last edited by 2000Ls1zzz28; 01-04-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add some things
Old 01-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Next, I plastidipped my berger panel. Here are some before and after pics.

I absolutely loved how it looked from far away but once you got close you could see some spots and bubbles. So I ended up removing it. Although I do plan on painting it in the future.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Today I received my black camaro letter inserts and I went ahead and washed her up and installed them.

So far that's where I'm at, the next thing I do will most likely be to fix my powering steering pump, then it'll be time to get a baseline dyno!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha sweet dude looks good.... gotta get that thing breathing better now good headers and a free flowing exhaust. Just picked up my second ls car yesterday had a 98 w 430 rwhp year ago and sold like an idiot for a pontiac g6. Now im back in the game. Got slp long tubes with power flo exhaust sounds sick fyi i know ya said your looking for slp lm2. Cant go wrong. Btw how do you upload photos i cant do it on my phone or dont know how
Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by etrain783
Haha sweet dude looks good.... gotta get that thing breathing better now good headers and a free flowing exhaust. Just picked up my second ls car yesterday had a 98 w 430 rwhp year ago and sold like an idiot for a pontiac g6. Now im back in the game. Got slp long tubes with power flo exhaust sounds sick fyi i know ya said your looking for slp lm2. Cant go wrong. Btw how do you upload photos i cant do it on my phone or dont know how
Thanks man. Yeah I know, but unfortunately I'm in California where smog laws are very strict, so I can't do longtubes and since I'm planning on doing an STS rear mount turbo down the line, it's best to keep the stock manifolds. I'm definitely going to do the SLP y-pipe and LM2.

Wow, man I can't wait till I make that much power!! Haha, I've thought about selling my car for something else, but the things that hold me back is that it's already paid off and I absolutely love this car and I know I'm going to regret it and want another one. You should definitely make a build thread.

I used an image hosting website and then uploaded them from there. servimg.com I'm not sure how to do it on a cellphone.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice find!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
Nice find!
Yes it was, for sure. When my brother bought it, he bought it from a Honda Dealership, lol.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your going to keep longtubes ive seen someone on here trap 116mph with stock headers. Just has all the right bolt ons. They wont even let you run Longtubes with the AIR attachment and EGR ****?
Old 01-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
If your going to keep longtubes ive seen someone on here trap 116mph with stock headers. Just has all the right bolt ons. They wont even let you run Longtubes with the AIR attachment and EGR ****?
No, I don't think so. Anything that is for emissions has to be stock and once it is removed, it's esentially not smog legal anymore. CA smog laws suck
Old 01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Hahahaha you need to find yourself a good ole lickem stickem thatll just hook ya up. Im in pa we dont have to worry bout that bull crap. Ohhh and hey if the car is paid whats it killing ya to keep it right or did you say you were gonna sell for a vette. My regret is selling mine luckily i found the one i just got... its alot sweeter than my last one looks wise anyways
Old 01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Hahahaha you need to find yourself a good ole lickem stickem thatll just hook ya up. Im in pa we dont have to worry bout that bull crap. Ohhh and hey if the car is paid whats it killing ya to keep it right or did you say you were gonna sell for a vette. My regret is selling mine luckily i found the one i just got... its alot sweeter than my last one looks wise anyways
That's not going to be possible anymore because smog laws have gotten even more strict this year. Any car that is year 2000 and up doesn't have to get the sniffer test but they still do a visual. And if the particular car you have is considered a gross poluter, you'll get sent to a STAR Smog Center.

I bought the car cash from my bro and that was back when I was able to save up money because for one I had a lot more hours and secondly, I saved up a lot of money from gas because I was driving a 1993 camry. Currently I have **** hours and I just barely break even each month with insurance, gas, etc. And plus I'm a student, I have to save up for books and tuition, which right now isn't working. lol...that's why I'm trying to land a second job.

I won't sell this car because I love it way too much. haha, it's my first muscle car and I don't owe anything on it, so I don't see any reason to sell it, unless I absolutely had to. I do want to get a c6 z06 (a corvette has always been my dream car) when I graduate in Spring 2014, by then the prices on those will be way lower. I've seen many selling for $39,000. Yeah, that's why I don't want to sell mine, because like I said previously, I know that I too will regret it.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Ohhh god yea dude hear ya there. Hope all works out well for ya dude. Keep your eyes peeled my buddy at work just sold a 06 zo6 worked for 33,000 only 40k miles there out there. Boy i think id die with those smog laws im in pa slp long tubes no egr, slp ory, loudmouth 2 w powerflow haha. GOOOOOOODDDD LUCK
Old 01-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Ohhh god yea dude hear ya there. Hope all works out well for ya dude. Keep your eyes peeled my buddy at work just sold a 06 zo6 worked for 33,000 only 40k miles there out there. Boy i think id die with those smog laws im in pa slp long tubes no egr, slp ory, loudmouth 2 w powerflow haha. GOOOOOOODDDD LUCK
Yeah man, I know they're out there, but I've never seen one that low. Once the c7's come out, they'll get to the low 30's for sure. One day I will have one. Yeah, it's quite annoying...I love everything about SoCal, but the smog laws.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Ls1zzz28
No, I don't think so. Anything that is for emissions has to be stock and once it is removed, it's esentially not smog legal anymore. CA smog laws suck
Luckily over here in FL i can ride around with tints a single 4" dump and cops dont even care lol I know how it is though, i have friend with slammed hondas and **** over there and i hear how much of an ******* they are about the ride height ****.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamantium
Luckily over here in FL i can ride around with tints a single 4" dump and cops dont even care lol I know how it is though, i have friend with slammed hondas and **** over there and i hear how much of an ******* they are about the ride height ****.
Yeah, cops absolutely hate hondas over here. I've thought about moving to Florida. Smog laws aren't gay and it's also a beautiful state. Maybe in the future once I have my career that's where I'll reside. Haha, how do you like it over there?
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000Ls1zzz28
Yes it was, for sure. When my brother bought it, he bought it from a Honda Dealership, lol.
How in earth did it end up in there! lol american muscle in a ricer dealership
Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blackpanther99
How in earth did it end up in there! lol american muscle in a ricer dealership
Lmao, I have no idea. When we looking at it, I even told the salesman. Who the hell would trade this in for a Honda??? I'm assuming a girl owned it.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice Z, always love our Z's. but my only opinion, is do the same thing i did when i bought my last one, and get that pinstripe off there. mine is black, and has a gray/red pinstripe put on it by the 1st owner. killed the car. had it off the 3rd day, total difference. a little patience and an hour with a hairdryer then wash and wax.
doesnt cost anything except time.
and just my 2 cents, but my first purchase was the SLP lodmouth-2 catback, and i cudnt be happier with it. wanted gmmg but 800 is too much, and this sounds dam near as good.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JDEP162
very nice Z, always love our Z's. but my only opinion, is do the same thing i did when i bought my last one, and get that pinstripe off there. mine is black, and has a gray/red pinstripe put on it by the 1st owner. killed the car. had it off the 3rd day, total difference. a little patience and an hour with a hairdryer then wash and wax.
doesnt cost anything except time.
and just my 2 cents, but my first purchase was the SLP lodmouth-2 catback, and i cudnt be happier with it. wanted gmmg but 800 is too much, and this sounds dam near as good.
Thank you. I kinda like the pinstripe, haha. But I might actually do that since some of it is peeled off towards the back of the car.

And I completely agree with you man, I've heard the LM2 just on youtube videos and it sounds nice. I've heard the lm1 in person, but that's just way too loud. I'm debating on whether I should purchase the LM2 exhaust first, springs/shocks or wheels.

Quick Reply: My Z28 Build Thread