Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Picked up a 01 Camaro SS SLP edition, what to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a 01 Camaro SS SLP edition, what to look for?

Hey guys. I just sold my iroc project. Just don't have the time or funds to build it how I wanted to this year. So my plans changed. I picked up this car, which to me sounds like it is fairly rare. Just a bit of information on it, it's a factory SS car in metallic blue, all original, apparently only 154 of these made that year. It's a 6 speed manual with black leather interior and t tops, fully loaded with all options. I have the build sheet for the car, it was built by SLP on 10/10/2000, it was build number #2403 of camaros built in that year, and is #28 of 154 built in metallic blue, and #19 of 20 built with a 6 speed, leather and t tops. It was an SLP Y2Y build. It came from California originally, has roughly 131,000 miles. I got it for a deal I could not resist. So this brings me to my question. This is the first 4th gen I've ever had, they weren't ever on the top of my list of favoured Camaro styles so I never looked into them much. What are some things that should be done first mod wise? I have an LSA blower and a lq4 I was planning on putting into the iroc, but from what I can tell so far it won't fit under the hood without a lot of modifications to the k member and cowl. So it's safe to say I will be adding a power adder of some sort in the near future but while I'm waiting, what's the first things that should be done to upgrade the suspension? Brakes? Exhaust? The LS1 is bone stock, and I don't know if I can get to my HP goal by keeping it. I want a car with a solid 700rwhp. Would an LS1 with supporting mods and boost of some sort get me to those goals? Is there a top mount supercharger that will actually fit under the hood like a Maggie or whipple? Thanks for the advice ! Here's a few teaser pics, I'm picking it up this week!
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 01 Camaro SS SLP edition, what to look for?-image.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Another shot....
Attached Thumbnails Picked up a 01 Camaro SS SLP edition, what to look for?-image.jpg  
Old 06-05-2015, 03:22 PM
Teching In

And another! Soooo clean.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Being that you are aiming at 700 hp I would def get started on susp with shocks/springs, LCAs, torque arm, panhard you know all the good stuff. 700 shouldn't be that hard to reach with the LS1 just search around and you will see it time and time again on here. Nice car by the way,, she is clean as hell**
Old 06-05-2015, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I've always liked this color
Old 06-06-2015, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You can get a roots blower to fit under the hood. I believe you have to lower the k member & cut the cowl a bit. Hawks has a kit.

Nice SS by the way. She looks clean.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a set of subframe connectors 1st. You'll thank me later if you do. I wish I had...
Old 06-06-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

better get started on ye ol' 10 bolt into a 12 bolt or better

beautiful find. you will love the car

I also went from third gen to 4th gen (will never get rid of my thirds though)
needless to say it's my new daily and I never like getting out of it
Old 06-10-2015, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the compliments guys! I pick it up this week! About a 10 hour drive back in it so I have loads of time to get comfy. Unfortunely tho, the third gen is gone, older gentleman picked it up a few days ago, sad to see it go but I just don't have the space to keep it. Here's a quick question tho. What's a good forum you'd recommend for 4th gens? Like if I wanted to search up interior or suspension mods, like third gens have thirdgen.org, what about 4th gens?
Old 06-10-2015, 01:43 AM
TECH Resident

You're on the biggest 4th gen site. Everything you can possibly want to know/see can be found using the search button.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking car I am partial to the NBM. As mentioned above start with sub-frame connectors and look into upgrading the 10 bolt. I would also look into a new torque arm with a drive shaft safety loop as with big power you don't want a broke rear or drive shaft to beat up the floors of a car that clean.

As far as power goes an ls1 can reach those numbers so long as it is built right so maybe talk to a few engine builders if you have any local and see what they suggest.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure what your timeframe for 700rwhp is, but I'd make sure the car can handle it before you do it.

-New Rear either an s60 or 9", that is based on your opinion though, plenty have gone fast with 12-bolts as well. Get a good DS during this part of the process
-Shocks and springs, depends on if you want a drag car or a canyon carver
-While you're doing your suspension it couldn't hurt to knock out new bushings and ball joints
-I'd just run the t56 till it grenades, but pick up a good clutch at 700rwhp I think most would recommend a twin disc

Stock brakes are fine, just get some better pads if you plan to auto-x or HPDE the car

After that you should be able to do basically anything to your motor, heads, blower cam and F1 procharger should get you to your goal pretty handily.

Getting these cars into good shape with reliable power isn't hard, but it will get expensive. IMHO, there really aren't any rare 4th gen f-bodies, aside from the low mileage firehawks. You can source a 100k+ mile SS fairly easily.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Finally have the car in my possession, got it yesterday. It's not bad for a bone stock car, missing a lot of exhaust noise and about 450hp lol. The clutch is getting bad tho, there's a portion of the engagement where no matter what I do it bucks the car. Look like a noob driving around town but oh well. That'll have to be my first task. There's a few scratches and minor dings I'm gonna get a body shop to touch up for me. Ordering an eibach pro kit, cme exhaust, and some new black headlights and a 6LE front and side splitters while I'm waiting. I have a 6 litre in my garage I'm building gonna do a 408 stroker and either a single turbo or an f1 procharger I haven't made up my mind yet. That'll be after Christmas by the time I'm ready to swap that in. Need new wheels, it has genuine z06 wheels and they just don't fill out the wheel wells enough for my liking. Does anyone know what kind of wheels these are??
Old 06-14-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost-Wayne
Finally have the car in my possession, got it yesterday. It's not bad for a bone stock car, missing a lot of exhaust noise and about 450hp lol. The clutch is getting bad tho, there's a portion of the engagement where no matter what I do it bucks the car. Look like a noob driving around town but oh well. That'll have to be my first task. There's a few scratches and minor dings I'm gonna get a body shop to touch up for me. Ordering an eibach pro kit, cme exhaust, and some new black headlights and a 6LE front and side splitters while I'm waiting. I have a 6 litre in my garage I'm building gonna do a 408 stroker and either a single turbo or an f1 procharger I haven't made up my mind yet. That'll be after Christmas by the time I'm ready to swap that in. Need new wheels, it has genuine z06 wheels and they just don't fill out the wheel wells enough for my liking. Does anyone know what kind of wheels these are??
Don't do the prokit, do strano or BMR instead. Also if it's still on stock shocks you can swap those for bilsteins for not a ton of money.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by boost-wayne
does anyone know what kind of wheels these are??
ssr gt3?

Quick Reply: Picked up a 01 Camaro SS SLP edition, what to look for?