Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Is my 2000 SS a SLP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my 2000 SS a SLP?

Hey guys new to this forum. Have had my 2000 SS CAMARO about 2 years now. It has the WU8 code so it's a real SS but just noticed the Y2Y code. Been doing a lot of research and seen that means it has SLP options but not sure what. It doesn't have the sticker on the passenger side. No special floor mats. No CME. No Lid. No SS SLP grille.

So what else could the car have optioned that I don't see? Like I added a SS billet grille and K&N Cold air intake, and SLP loudmouth
Old 06-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Y2Y and no SLP Sticker on the door meant it was just a plain jane SS. If it has a SLP sticker, it would include a breakdown of the extras. I had the same questions when I first got mine, hoping it had some special parts. It did not lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 PM

damn that sucks but i guess i can stop looking all over the place for answers. i guess it still good to have an SS lol. Still wanna eventually put in the CME exhaust and replace my SS billet grille with the SLP SS one.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Teching In

I only remember seeing one SS with CME exhaust back when the cars were new in 00 or 01. I don't know the numbers but they have to be pretty rare. When I bought mine, the dealership had a Red 01 with CME but the car had a lot of problems so I didn't even consider getting it.

In reality, the SLP options might make the car unique, but you could always do better in the aftermarket for just as much or cheaper.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:11 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Every SS is from SLP, as they are the ones who did the conversion. Originally, RPO Y2Y indicated additional SS content beyond the base package, but eventually they just ended up applying this RPO to every SS (something about making easier to add additional content later in the build process for a given SS car, or so I've read.)

I don't think CME was an option until 2001. Personally I can't stand the appearance of the CME, they look so much better without it. The dual/dual catback was also optional without (and prior to) the CME valance or tips.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So you did allot of research.......and while you were doing this research it hasnt occured to you to call SLP??? You know....the guys who converted the cars.......call them give them your VIN. you will know in like 2 minutes.

i have a blank SLP sticker, SLP lid, SLP loudmouth, and probably one or two other thing im forgetting at this time of night....

i was curious when i bought the car, googled how to confirm a real 01 SS and was on the phone in less than 10min.

Found out the for the 2001 year i have car number 8537.

EDit:: for any typing errors, its 2:30am here and im out of coffee.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:19 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Every SS is from SLP, as they are the ones who did the conversion. Originally, RPO Y2Y indicated additional SS content beyond the base package, but eventually they just ended up applying this RPO to every SS (something about making easier to add additional content later in the build process for a given SS car, or so I've read.)

Over on chirpthird where people involved with the SS/Firehawk project used to be active (they may still be; I haven't been there for years). I had inquired a couple of years ago to them about this very issue as my '02 had Y2Y without any "second sticker" content. Just as RPM WS6 states, Y2Y became automatically added to all WU8 orders. From what I was told, this occurred in 2000 at some point (my '00 SS did not have Y2Y). The reasoning was due to people submitting orders only to decide later (but before delivery) they wanted to add some of the optional content; however, it was too late to do so at that point. This was happening frequently enough that it warranted making Y2Y automatically triggered when WU8 was ordered.

Anecdotally, I do recall the SLP literature from that time frame would specifically mention that optional content had to be ordered at the time the vehicle order was placed. If all my stuff wasn't currently in storage, I'd try to scan one of the letters I had received that stated that information.

A call to SLP will ensure what, if any, Y2Y content was installed prior to delivery of the car to the dealer.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nick V.
So you did allot of research.......and while you were doing this research it hasnt occured to you to call SLP??? You know....the guys who converted the cars.......call them give them your VIN. you will know in like 2 minutes.

i have a blank SLP sticker, SLP lid, SLP loudmouth, and probably one or two other thing im forgetting at this time of night....

i was curious when i bought the car, googled how to confirm a real 01 SS and was on the phone in less than 10min.

Found out the for the 2001 year i have car number 8537.

EDit:: for any typing errors, its 2:30am here and im out of coffee.

I actually did try calling but wasn't sure if I was calling the right number . Went to the SLP website called that number but nothing , do u remember what u called?
Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Javier1591
I actually did try calling but wasn't sure if I was calling the right number . Went to the SLP website called that number but nothing , do u remember what u called?

Ive got no idea. That was just over 4 years and three cell phones ago.

My only suggestion now would be google. If i find the number i will let you know. I might call them again just for ***** and giggles
Old 06-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RPM WS6 was right about CME not coming out until 2001 and at that you don't see a lot of 01s with OEM CME I'm pretty sure the option has a pretty rare count for 01. In 2002 it seemed a lot more common although I'm pretty sure there were quite a bit more sold in 2002 as an SS the. Any other year. There is a guy on here Johnny something who has put together a nice spreadsheet for the number break downs.

As far as SLP goes last I knew it's hard to contact anyone from there as they were bought out by SVE if you go to the SVE website they have a vin lookup tool which is what I beleive you are looking for it should give you what you want
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM
Launching!

As for the CME I dont know how anyone could dislike it as it is the only stock exhaust design for 4th gen camaros that actually fits the car. I ran turndowns for years because any tip just looks weird with the plain Jane bumper design. 2otl don't look terrible though as they tuck up againat the bumper pretty tight
Old 06-26-2015, 09:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
As for the CME I dont know how anyone could dislike it as it is the only stock exhaust design for 4th gen camaros that actually fits the car.
This is all just a matter of opinion but, to me, it's as though someone installed only the rear portion of a body kit - makes the rear look like it sits lower than the front. An obvious afterthought IMO, just like the factory SAP kit. Center outlet exhaust in general doesn't appeal to me, but it's executed better on the C5/C6 as it was part of their original design and there is also more space between those tips.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 AM
Launching!

I realize everyone has their own opinions- that is what makes us unique..... But I Love the factory SLP CME. And here's why:

1) You don't see them every day. In fact, they're so rare, people ask where I got that exhaust from.

2) As previously mentioned, it actually fits and/or is molded to the shape of the rear bumper. To me, it doesn't look out of place.

3) For Factory, it sounds awesome!! I haven't done anything to my exhaust, still have the factory Exhaust Manifolds. 36,000 miles and 13 years later, I still Love the sound!!

4) Yes it makes the rear look lower, but without it, I've always thought the 4th Gen Camaro looked like the rear bumper sat up too high. It makes the rear bumper more symmetric to the rockers/doors.

5) It just looks sexy!!
Attached Thumbnails Is my 2000 SS a SLP?-20140809_164314.jpg   Is my 2000 SS a SLP?-20140809_181718.jpg  
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

CME looks great from behind IMO. but it's price tag looks gross.

I have someone building me a custom full true duel exhaust for less than the CME rear bumper drop and tips for center exit would cost, not including the cost of welding in the tips
Old 07-06-2015, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by CGSmith0524
3) For Factory, it sounds awesome!! I haven't done anything to my exhaust, still have the factory Exhaust Manifolds. 36,000 miles and 13 years later, I still Love the sound!!
This is the only part of your post that I agree with. The appearance is foul, but it sure does sound nice for an optional factory system.

But you didn't need to get the CME to have that sound/catback, the dual/dual catback was available with normal tips and without the rear bumper extension or center tip extensions. It's a bit on the quiet side with the stock cats, but with an ORY the dual/dual is one of the best sounding systems you can have for an LS1.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Javier1591
Hey guys new to this forum. Have had my 2000 SS CAMARO about 2 years now. It has the WU8 code so it's a real SS but just noticed the Y2Y code. Been doing a lot of research and seen that means it has SLP options but not sure what. It doesn't have the sticker on the passenger side. No special floor mats. No CME. No Lid. No SS SLP grille.

So what else could the car have optioned that I don't see? Like I added a SS billet grille and K&N Cold air intake, and SLP loudmouth
Call slp and give them the vin number and they will tell you if it had extra goodies added by slp. I'm looking at 1 and they told me it's 1 of their cars and it doesnt have the slp option sticker and they even offered me a birth certificate. It doesn't hurt to check

Quick Reply: Is my 2000 SS a SLP?