Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Switchback LED Turn Siganl

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switchback LED Turn Siganl

Hey guys, yesterday I installed LEDs in my taillights and front turn signals. The rear LEDs work fine, the signals aren't flashing in the rear presumably because my front signals aren't working. I currently just have the driver side signal installed because the passenger side needs a new pig tail, I used a 3157 amber/white switchback for the turn signal. The white lights up for the DRL just fine, but when I try to use the turn signal it won't switch to the flashing amber. I do have the correct flashers installed, I don't know what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

I'm sorry, may some one move this to the electronics or appearance, whatever is more appropriate, section? I didn't even think of that
Old 06-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Are you sure you installed the flasher in the correct one because we have 2 flashers.
I just installed these yesterday in my trans am and it was all plug and play.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Yes sir, I put in a new flasher for the hazards and the turn signals. Could it matter why type of flasher I use? I just used FL-2 electronic flashers off of superbrightleds
Old 06-22-2015, 04:21 PM
Teching In

as long as its an electronic flasher it should work.I just got an el-12 at nappa for like 9 bucks. havent changed my emergency flasher yet.

Last edited by transam197781; 06-22-2015 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Hmm, I still have to get my front passenger side socket and LEDs in, as well as the rear, side bumper lights to put in, I had to stop installing to head to work, I'll finish up tonight. I don't think it will make and difference, but we'll see i guess. I may try another flasher if i can't get them to work. Thank you for your help. I'll get back on here when I get everything put in.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Wait, I put in new sockets, could it be a bad solder connection? Especially since the white DRL lights up and the amber turn signal won't light up/flash? I'll check the connection tomorrow. I'm struggling to get the passenger side light to work. I think that's definitely thanks to my crappy solder work.

If there are two replies like this I apologize. I'm not seeing the first reply on my phone.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Very well could be the problem.You should be able to test the connections with a meter or test light.I didnt change any of my sockets and my back lights are orininal not led.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

Okay, thank you very much. I'll try and get to that tomorrow
Old 06-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Yeah my drl are amber it doesnt turn white until i turn the headlights on.I would definatly check the wiring.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Okay, passenger side lights work, amber and white, but it just won't flash, neither front or back. I haven't checked the driver side connection yet, it still doesn't light up amber, I'm going to do that now. Could the not flashing be the flasher? I put the normal bulb in on the passenger side to see if it would work before I cut the socket off an redo the connections with out taking out the electronic flasher (wasn't thinking), but I just turned on the parking lights, not the signal because the car was off. But, I feel like if the flasher was bad the lights wouldn't work at all. Any ideas? I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with something that's plug and play, feeling pretty incompetent haha
Old 06-23-2015, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Yeah sounds like an issue with your flasher.When i installed my first bulb with the old flasher it would just go solid amber drl and blinker on.It would not flash as soon as i installed the napa flasher it worked as it should.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Alright, I'll try a new flasher. I redid all three connections on my driver side light and it still won't turn amber, I put the bulb from the passenger side that would turn amber, into the driver side socket to rule out a faulty bulb, it didn't light up amber. So other than user error I don't know what could be wrong with it. Could the socket itself be an issue? I honestly don't know at this point.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Teching In

If its an original socket it may be faulty .
I had to change mine when i got home yesterday.
After i changed it everything went back to working like normal .
Thats why i said you might save yourself some headache with a meter or test light.
Did you just change the sockets just because or were they actually faulty?
Old 06-24-2015, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

I changed them because they were all burnt up and were falling apart. I tried putting new bulbs into them and they kind of just crumbled up in my hand
Old 07-02-2015, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Okay, I was able to get the driver side signal to light up amber, so I put everything back together. Once I put everything back I couldn't get it to light up amber any more. I stopped messing with the lights for a while, I was getting annoyed with it and was running out of free time. Today I noticed that both lights were on amber for the DRLs, which is fine, both lights work, I don't care what color they are, I just want them to flash. I went to Advance Autocorrect picked up and el 12 flasher, which was noted to work earlier in this thread, and the lights still didn't flash. Looking at the box and the reference book in the store it doesn't say anything about being LED compatible, but I got it anyway just to try it since it worked for transam197. Is that not an electric flasher? I didn't see anything on the box about it. Should I try another electric flasher? Thank you
Old 07-02-2015, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Mine didnt say anything about led compatable either. Mine was from napa no i dont think there is a differance. i still think you have a wiring problem somewhere.Mine was a smoke clear and you can see the electronics inside.Did you try throwing regular bulbs in to see what it would do?
Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

I haven't tried butting the original bulbs back yet, I'll try that when I get the chance. Any ideas on what the wiring problem could be, if there is one? I know you said check the sockets, is that something I can do with a multimeter, or do I need a mood light or something? Could it be the sockets? When driving during the day they come on amber, and I think they switch to white when the headlights come on. I'm not 100% positive that they switch to white when the headlights come on automatically, but I know when the head light switch is on they turn white. Like I said, I don't care what color they are at this point, I would just at least want them to flash, I'm just pointing out they work. I think I'll have time on Tuesday to go through them again, thanks for all of the help
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 AM
Teching In

You should be able to check with a meter.
I would throw the original bulb in on one side and see if it works if not then you probable need to check wires some more if it does then there is something else going on.Mine are white when headlights on amber when drl are on.Then goes amber white with blinker.Don't feel to discuraged mine was working fine then the original sockets started taking a dive i replaced one now i need to go get another.The joys of owning an older car.Lol
Old 07-07-2015, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

If I can pull the front of the car far enough into the garage to get it out of the rain we may get tomorrow I'll try throwing one of the old bulbs in and see how that works. Thank for the time and help you have provided me with. And I know what you mean by having an older car, i'm accumulating a list of just little things here and there I want to take care of haha. Just trying to get one thing done at a time so I don't have a lot of active posts

Not to get off topic, but is there a improper way to install the headlight housings? I don't think mine are in all the way because there is moisture in my turn signal lenses, and i can tell the weather stripping isn't in the right spot. This is just a general question for anyone who is reading.

Quick Reply: Switchback LED Turn Siganl