Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Ideas for Improvement of F bodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch master brace, should be easy to do.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Thanks for more ideas everybody. I'll show my friend tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowredss
I honestly feel like 90% of the ideas thrown out here that people say nobody has done, have actually already been done.

How about a upper dash that doesn't crack but looks like factory.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-sale-now.html
Old 04-06-2017, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

I meant the actual replacement not the cover over it.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
How about a upper dash that doesn't crack but looks like factory.
That would be extremely nice, especially if it's under $200. The new-old-stock ones are still out there I think, but the same material will eventually crack again with time.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nickster 7
but the same material will eventually crack again with time.
I can say that it definitely will. Ive bought many
Old 04-07-2017, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't realize those are covers also, that sucks. I don't get to drive mine now and I have a dash pad on it to keep it from instantly driving me nuts, but I will want something not trash one day. Do you think a carbon fiber full replacement would be a good part and what would people think is a reasonable price on that part?
Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Launching!

It's because the factory dash pad is polycarbonate which doesn't hold up to UV and heat worth a damn and gets brittle. What's really aggravating is other interior panel pieces are made of polypropylene, like the hatch plastic as a prime example which gets just as much sun as the dash but hey look they're still nice and flexible after all these years because the right material was used... PP or ABS would make for a great replacement dash pad, never have to worry about them cracking. The problem with carbon fibre cost aside is that the epoxy used makes for a really glossy finish, windshield glare from Hell would be an understatement. Of course you could always flock it or whatever but that'd defy the point of spending the money for most, and at that rate might as well use fibreglass to cut costs. Another option would be to make them from stamped aluminum sheet metal and then paint them. Realistically fibreglass would be the cheapest and easiest to get going.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aluminum would be a huge undertaking. You would have to make a stamp or maybe 2 or 3 stamps and then the stamping. Also, aluminum doesn't just stamp like steel and that is why it isn't widely used for factory body panels.

You are right that fiber glass would be cheaper, but it might not be an okay replacement since it might not be meet the strength needed while staying thin. I have made custom caps to allow people to add HID projectors to the 2014 - 2015 Silverado without doing trash work and found out it had to be 3D printed unless I could get 5000 people to buy them because injection molding is a big undertaking. Not only that the molds have a limited life, so many have to be made. By the end of it, if we get 10 to 100 people to buy the dash it will be a lot cheaper out of carbon fiber than it would be aluminum or injection molded plastic. Fiber glass could be a good fit, but I don't know what this thing looks like to make that call. I wouldn't be as interested in it. It would certainly weigh a lot more than the stock one and I just hate working with that stuff.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:21 AM
Launching!

If anything it would weigh less since the fibreglass could be done thinner than what the polycarbonate ones are. Fibreglass is plenty strong, in fact most of the fourth gen's exterior is sheet moulded composite which was fibreglass with plastic together. They'd have to be painted or they could be wrapped in leather or vinyl or could be flocked. Sky would be the limit really and leaving that up to the consumer would help keep pricing down. What you'd want to do is use fibreglass mesh, much like how carbon fibre is done, and not shredded glass but mesh does come at a higher cost than the shredded stuff. I guess exposed carbon would be fine if you could manage a satin finish of some sort that'd look good, I'm not sure about others but I can't stand windshield glare.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree and there are many ways to deal with that after people can buy a long lasting solid base. I would probably just wrap mine with black suede.

Quick Reply: Ideas for Improvement of F bodies