Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Introduction and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and a few questions

Hi everyone, I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Richard. Picked up a '93 F Body a few weeks ago...it was a car someone was parting out and for the price they wanted for the whole thing it was a deal just too cheap to pass up....so now I get to build it up into one badass car haha.

Here's the basics
'93 F Body. LT1 6speed. ~117k on it. I'll get some pics as soon as I get time.

I've spent the last few weeks reading about pretty much every mod I got planned for this thing so I'll try not to ask too many questions on topics that have been beat to death here lol but if a few come up sorry ahead of time.

Here's my plan..any advice as technology and parts availability has improved a lot would be appreciated.

The car "mostly" will be a weekend car...I may take a trip or two but it wont be often. The boss says she and our son gotta be able to go to so the interior has to stay haha. It will DEFINITELY see track time a few times a month.
I've looked at about every engine option out there for this car...I'm going to go with the 5.3L.
The car is getting FI Turbo..I hear ebay is the way to go there.
My goal is 800-1k RWHP.
I know I should probably get forged rods and pistons.
I'm probably going to at least Stage 2 the T-56 (the trans came from a '95 F-body donor but was bought separate, hasn't been installed yet..I need parts first). I hear some say they run high HP on factory, I hear some say they grenade it at low power so I guess I'll meet in the middle lol.
I know the rear won't hold...I'm throwing options around there.

Budget? I wouldn't say I really have one...but I'm not interested in buying things I don't necessarily need or bragging rights..it's just for fun haha and this will take me easily a year to build so I can register it in Maryland as a Street Rod and dodge all the emissions and inspection bs.

Here's a few questions: I plan to LS Swap the car including the full harness, K member,etc. Like alot of people I hate the dash and center console of the car, so what will fit? I'd love to have the Digital Dash if I can but its not the end of the world if not.

Also, what needs to be done to the T-56 out of the '95 to mate it to the 5.3?

I am going to replace the brake and fuel lines...I don't know they're condition but it seems sensible to me to do it as they'll fail eventually. Does anyone make a full kit for either?

I need to get a front and rear bumper for it. Will the factory front allow for an intercooler..or is there a recommendation?

Appreciate all the help everyone!
Old 06-04-2017, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Your best bet, since your just getting started. Would be to call Midwest or Burkhart Chassis. They have everything you mentioned, and im sure if you bought everything at the same time, you may get a better deal. Check out both their websites.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, also, Welcome to Tech!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Your best bet, since your just getting started. Would be to call Midwest or Burkhart Chassis. They have everything you mentioned, and im sure if you bought everything at the same time, you may get a better deal. Check out both their websites.
OK thanks. I guess going in order of how I'll likely start the build. Im still looking to find out what dash options are available for someone who has a full LS wiring harness in the car. I know some modify a LT1 harness to work but I was planning just to swap the entire thing. I can't find any info on if basically the same dash swap limitations apply or if I have more flexibility.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TTur1996
Oh, also, Welcome to Tech!!!
Thanks! I love internet forums there's SO MUCH information out there, ideas, opinions etc!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93madness
OK thanks. I guess going in order of how I'll likely start the build. Im still looking to find out what dash options are available for someone who has a full LS wiring harness in the car. I know some modify a LT1 harness to work but I was planning just to swap the entire thing. I can't find any info on if basically the same dash swap limitations apply or if I have more flexibility.
Not sure about a digital dash with the stock computer and wiring. If you can't do it. The Fast xfi or The Holley Dominator controllers Have their own digital dashes. Everything is on there. All Gages, Tach, Two Step, multiple retards, trans controller, and even an AFR meter, and much more. Has outputs and inputs. Definitely the best bang for the buck if your EFI.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I believe there are some turbo options on there as well.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Teching In

does it fit in stock opening or do I have to get a different year/model dash?
Old 06-04-2017, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Nevermind lol I did the smart thing and looked it up haha. I wish they were bigger but thats cool.

Quick Reply: Introduction and a few questions