Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Unusual Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Unusual Question

What is the correct undercarriage paint code for my 2002 SS ?
Exterior color is white and the undercarriage appears to be a light grey.
For all I know there were different colors depending on the exterior ?
It would be great to have an exact match as to blend in with the original as needed and not have to paint the complete undercarriage.
Rattle can would be a blessing due to limited lift.
Yes, I know my photo is my previous Red SS. That will be changed as soon as the White one is presentable for viewing !

Last edited by Redrokit8; 02-05-2018 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Forgot the color change
Old 02-05-2018, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I could be wrong but I always assumed its the same paint on the rest of the car just without the clear coat, that is what it looks like on mine at least but im not a paint/body work expert.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrokit8
What is the correct undercarriage paint code for my 2002 SS ?
Exterior color is white and the undercarriage appears to be a light grey.
For all I know there were different colors depending on the exterior ?
It would be great to have an exact match as to blend in with the original as needed and not have to paint the complete undercarriage.
Rattle can would be a blessing due to limited lift.
Yes, I know my photo is my previous Red SS. That will be changed as soon as the White one is presentable for viewing !
Lol, presentable for viewing.

I know some of the paint codes are listed on the door sticker. I'm not the one to ask as to which one it is, but I have a few friends that do bodywork for a living.

I agree that whatever the color of the car is what is on the bottom without clear coat, mine is also this way.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I think it's a primer? Which there would be no paint code for. My Onyx Black '01 Camaro is also Grey underneath.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:03 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,100 Posts

The color appears different because it was sprayed thin and without a clear coat. The primer visibly bleeds through the thin outer layer and that's why it doesn't look quite the same as the engine bay (which is also the same color code, minus the clear coat, but is applied a bit thicker.) If you look under a black example, they sometimes appear almost green, etc.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the underside of our 00 TA that is white (excuse the dirtiness please, just finished installing all the suspension and haven't cleaned yet).

Also, on my 2002 Camaro 35th LE the underside is red. So i'm leaning with what the guy above said and the primer seeps through.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do know the paint in our engine bays are believe it or not are different from the paint on the outside and any paint underneath I believe matches the engine bay paint. Reason I know that is I have a buddy who does some amazing engine bay work on 4th gens to make them look just as nice as the outside of the car. When he purchased the paint for his SOM Trans Am the guy at the paint place informed him of this and told him it was actually a different paint code and explained why it was different. So he ended up purchasing the matching engine bay paint and clear coating it. I would imagine that would be the same as the engine bay paint on the parts that are painted to the color of the car. Ill have to touch base with him and get more details. As for the grey im not sure.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,529 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
I do know the paint in our engine bays are believe it or not are different from the paint on the outside and any paint underneath I believe matches the engine bay paint. Reason I know that is I have a buddy who does some amazing engine bay work on 4th gens to make them look just as nice as the outside of the car. When he purchased the paint for his SOM Trans Am the guy at the paint place informed him of this and told him it was actually a different paint code and explained why it was different. So he ended up purchasing the matching engine bay paint and clear coating it. I would imagine that would be the same as the engine bay paint on the parts that are painted to the color of the car. Ill have to touch base with him and get more details. As for the grey im not sure.
I have used exterior color code touch-up paint on my Sebring Silver '98 engine bay for touch ups, and the color was an excellent match minus any clear coat. If it's not the same color code, you really wouldn't know it; any difference must be pretty minor. This car is a very low mileage garage queen with an engine bay that is kept well detailed.

On the other hand, my daily driver '02 Pewter car wasn't quite as perfect of a match between the engine bay and exterior paint (exterior touch-up paint appeared darker). Engine bays tend to get discolored/faded on daily drivers I think, I suppose from general engine/road grime and heat?
Old 02-07-2018, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LE35TH
This is the underside of our 00 TA that is white (excuse the dirtiness please, just finished installing all the suspension and haven't cleaned yet).

Also, on my 2002 Camaro 35th LE the underside is red. So i'm leaning with what the guy above said and the primer seeps through.
OK, but damn, that white sure looks like light Grey to me !
Now my engine bay looks real white and matches the exterior like a exact match. The underbelly paint, on my 2002, has a definite satin finish. Not primer rough but a smooth overcoat on whatever the real color is.
Maybe it's the reflection of my 73 year old blue eyes and white hair.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wasn't saying the underside was white, I meant this is the underside of our white TA. It's definitely not the same shade as the exterior or the engine bay which makes me believe it either wasn't sprayed heavily from factory or it's the primer showing through.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:00 PM
Teching In

I would agree that mine is a rendition of the Arctic White exterior sprayed on much thinner almost in a primer formula. Plus colors can be deceiving under different lighting conditions. Once I get everything all cleaned up I'll play around with some rattle can choices to see if any can closely match up. Not intended as a show piece but just neat, clean and tidy without the battle scars popping out at you. Hey, a clean car runs better !

Quick Reply: Unusual Question