Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

02 Z28 going turbo - tubular crossmember & rectangle port intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 02 Z28 going turbo - tubular crossmember & rectangle port intake

Helping a buddy build a 02 Z28 6.0L (Iron) turbo, using LS9 CNC heads.
1. Crossmember/K-Member
I'm wondering if a tubular crossmember and control arms should be considered? If so are there any that are better quality to handle the job?
I'm thinking about weight savings in the front with the addition of the iron block and turbo equipment.
AC is being retained, which is why we're going single turbo, and breaking records isn't the goal -we want fast and reliable with street driving manners so the tubular crossmember would need to retain power steering (rack and pinion mounting provisions).
IIRC, he already has an 8.8" or 9" rearend, and a few chassis upgrades so that end is taken care of already.

2. Which LS3/Rectangle port intake
So going with the GMPP LS9 CNC heads, is there a single plane/elbow setup that does not require cutting the cowl? Cutting the intake is not going to happen as being the car is pretty much show car condition and not wanting to butcher any of the factory structure (we're willing to change parts that can be bolted on, but as for cutting structural parts, it's not in the equation).
Otherwise we're looking at a stock LS3 intake with a little port-work to match up better to the CNC heads.

Last edited by McCoyMotorsports; 03-06-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have read threads about BMR tubular K-members not aligning properly. One poster stated that he had that issue and switched it out for an UMI tubular k-member and had no issues. So that is where I would start if I was installing one.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cutting the cowl for what?
Old 02-13-2018, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
Cutting the cowl for what?
He is asking what single plane intake manifold and elbow options do not require cutting the cowl.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts

I think replacing the K-member is mandatory on a turbo build. I know BMR makes one.

Huron Speed makes a turbo kit that allows you to keep the A/C and other factory accessories.

I'm not sure about the other stuff.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tube k member is not mandatory for going turbo.

tube k member is mandatory for keeping ac and going turbo. make sure you buy the k member that the turbo kit you use is designed to work with. bmr alone makes several different turbo k members for 4 gen, then theres other companies.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lowest intake I know of is the GM single plain LS3 made by Wagner Motorsports for GM. It is a good intake for a single plain, if they still make it. Use that with a Wilson elbow to a LS throttle body might keep you low enough. I don't know if we have one at the shop I can measure, but I'll try and remember to look for one tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your input -looks like we are going with stock LS3 intake and for the crossmember, we are going to hold off until we are closer to dropping the built engine in (early stages of the build now).
We are looking to retain AC so it will definitely be something we come back to, when we get to that point.

Quick Reply: 02 Z28 going turbo - tubular crossmember & rectangle port intake