Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

What's your story?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's your story?

What made you pick a camaro for your car? Whats your story?
When I was 12 we had to work on a 1993 camaro that was cammed out and just would rumble the ground. we gave that thing so much hell. Once I rode in this car I was hooked. I had to have a camaro.
CHEVROLET CAMARO
Old 04-06-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

My brother had a third gen 88 z28. Though he was against me getting the camaro I have now, due to his camaro gave him problems. Changed his mind when he drove my camaro. The same brother who owned the camaro, actually wanted me to get a mustang aswell did my other brothers. But im camaro true, plus the camaro is faster.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was born in 1966 one year before the Camaro. As a kid , I grew around the dirt track racing scene where 2nd gens reigned supreme. This would be my 5th F-body I've owned (3 Camaros, 2 T/As) and I've had 2 Corvettes inthe past.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Went to the dealer looking for a new car drove my Z28 and I had to have it. I've always liked Camaro's and I finally got one.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

I grew up around cars. My Dad owned an auto body shop and raced dirt track cars. I hung out at the body shop and junk yards my whole childhood. He's more of a Ford guy all though he likes pretty much any kind of performance vehicles. So as a kid I like just about anything with a slight bias towards Fords. I always liked Mustangs over Camaros even though I saw F-bodies kicking the crap out of Mustangs all the time. Fast forward to when I was 14: I got my 71 Camaro for free from a friend of my Dad's. It had no paint, no wheels, etc. It was a mess. I worked my butt off to get it all fixed up until I was 15 and a half. I leaned alot about Camaro's in that time and have been hooked ever since. I still have that car BTW.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Teching In

First car 1982 Camaro 2.8, NEVER looked back!
Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

when I was little I always played with Matchbox cars. My favorite one was the teal 93 Camaro. I played with that thing forever and had about 10 of them all in all. So when I could finally afford a car after having been in College for a bit, the Camaro was my natural choice. It's the best bang for the buck you can get in my opinion, and hot lookin too. The LS1 is my favorite engine of all time.

brad
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Teching In

my father had a 68 RS, an older cousin had a II Gen, and two of my other cousins that are around my age have a 98 Z28 and 00 WS6. it was only a matter of time when i could finally afford one.
weird how things turn out though, i tried purchasing a 95 Z28 two years ago and did not qualify because i had signed for my parents Camry. no big deal i didn't NEED a vehicle so there was no need to rush into anything. few months later i see a red late model Z28 on a lot that wasn't far from where i live. knowing that i hadn't qualified for the 95 Z i didn't even stop to look at the red one.
fast forward to march of last year and the Camry had been paid off so now my search started for sure. so i cruize by the same lot that had the red Z one day after dropping off my sister at her work and what do i see?? the SAME freakin' car !!!
so i stop this time to take a look and to cut this story short i drove my baby home that night.
not only did i get a much newer Z28 but also got the 310hp rated LS1 to boot!
first time in my life i was glad to get denied!!!
Old 04-07-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was 15(now 16), and looking for a car. I went to a used car lot and in the back I saw a bright rally red SS. Once I saw the car, I was hooked. I didnt want any other car. And no other car I saw could compare. I ended up buying it, and it was the only car i ever test drove.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

I started working at the General Motors assembly plant in Norwood, Ohio in 1976, we built Camaros and Firebirds. I was actually converted from a Plymouth/Dodge man to a GM man in 1969 when I touched a new COPO Camaro on the new car lot of Joseph Chevrolet in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a mystical experience!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:23 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was young (in the 80's), I always saw these cars driving around without their tops in. I always wondered how they got their windows rolled into the roof Then later on I realized these were Camaros (some were probably Montes, but for this story, they were all Camaros ), so I thought I had to get one with t-tops. Being 16, I didn't care if it was a V6 or V8, RS or IROC-Z. Well, I did some more research and realized I needed a L98 So I found my 89 IROC L98 with t-tops. Now, 3 Camaros later, I've still got my ttops, though I find they come off less and less as time goes on.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:20 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tbojbob
I started working at the General Motors assembly plant in Norwood, Ohio in 1976, we built Camaros and Firebirds. I was actually converted from a Plymouth/Dodge man to a GM man in 1969 when I touched a new COPO Camaro on the new car lot of Joseph Chevrolet in Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a mystical experience!
Tim can tell you all sorts of interesting GM stories, just ask him!
Old 04-12-2005, 01:01 AM
11 Second Club

In the fall of 02 my friend was looking to buy a vette and i came along while he was going dealership to dealership getting prices then we walked into another dealer and there was my future car staring me in the face when i walked in and i instantly fell in love even though i had been more partial toward ws6's until that point. I was driving it a week later and couldn't be happier
Old 04-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

I was about 12 and we were visiting one of my moms friends who just happend to be the original owner of an 89 Iroc-Z Black/Gold. I sat in the car for hours at a time and knew I had to have a Camaro someday. Once I got my own business going and have the capital to buy one I did, and I will keep mine forever
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98boxer
My brother had a third gen 88 z28. Though he was against me getting the camaro I have now, due to his camaro gave him problems. Changed his mind when he drove my camaro. The same brother who owned the camaro, actually wanted me to get a mustang aswell did my other brothers. But im camaro true, plus the camaro is faster.
Depends on the Mustang you get
Old 04-13-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

I was about 15 when my uncle bought his 87 LB9. That thing sounded mean and was fast as hell (Back in that day). The car had a profile that meant business. I was hooked on camaros since that day. Then I heard they were not going to make them anymore and I was heartbroken. I started looking for an SS. Didn't want the Z28 because I thought the SS had the look for me and the double letters said it all when you are on the street. My favorite Camaro became the 69 SS, but I would still take my 01. Currently under construction. I will put pics up when it's done.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I was raised in a car family.

Grandpa raced circle-track, he and my uncle built performance engines for their cars and local people. Never had less than 3 big blocks and 5 small blocks in his garage at once.

My dad is a huge car guy. He's owned:

66 Fairlane vert(don't hate, it was pimp haha)
68 El Camino 396
69 454 Nova
71 or so Dart w/ 318
72 Demon
78 Trans Am 400/4spd.
78 El Camino built 350/TH400
79 Thunderbird
79 Trans Am

Now he has a 1970 shortbed GMC truck with a forged, pretty nicely built 396. 750 Holley, air-gap intake, etc. etc. Drivetrain is finally complete, now it's time to get the bodywork done.

My grandma gave me her 87 Camaro SC 305 for my first car, sold it and got a 79 Trans Am 10th Anniversary, now it's parked and rotting away, hopefully will be sold soon to somebody who will take care of it better than I could(no funds and being at college hurts a car that needs to be wrenched every damn day haha). Drove a 92 Lumina for the past year and a half(going from 6.6 > 3.1 = not cool).

When the opportunity arised for me to buy a 6spd. LS1...it was just natural. My family has had more performance-built V8s by far than 4 cylinder/6 cylinders. It's just natural to me.

Shoulda seen my grandma's face when I told her my 330hp+ 6 speed V8 got 34mpg on the way back from Conneticut... ;-)
Old 04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fell in love with the '69 body style when i was around 13 or 14....started looking for one and came across one that a friend had. plan on making it a pro streeter. it'll take a while because of the condition it was in when we got it. i saved its life from certain death
Old 05-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

i was looking for a ws6 for about 6 months than i came across a camaro in the auto trader for a really good price. i called the dealer out on it and they had to sell it at that price to me. i thought about it and bought it the next day. and im more than happy with it
Old 05-02-2005, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well about my junior year in high school (5 years ago) I fell in love with 1st gen. Camaros. I always kinda liked 2nd, 3rd and 4th gens. but I started learning about them and their heritage and the more I came to love ALL of them. I had several cars before my Camaro but I was never happy, I knew I would only be happy in a Camaro.....and here I am

Quick Reply: What's your story?