Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: Is Chevy Destroying The SS Name?
Yes
68.11%
No
21.40%
Who Cares?
10.49%
Voters: 715. You may not vote on this poll

Chevy Destroying The SS Name?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
Probably 99% of that crowd would be ricers so what does it matter what they think anyway.
It doesn't really matter, but I was trying to make a point
Old 05-13-2005, 06:41 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dug
The ****'s ruined the SS badge.
yeah but wasnt the SS badge AFTER the ****'s?
Old 05-13-2005, 09:34 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
yeah but wasnt the SS badge AFTER the ****'s?
Yeah but why would you want anything to do with them? Might as well put a swastica under the emblem. **** *****
Old 05-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I am upset with GM using the almighty SS badge on a lot of wimpy ****.

WTF is wrong with GM can't they build a car worthy of using an SS emblem?
Very, very sad.......

Take your **** **** and shove it up your *** child!
Old 05-14-2005, 01:57 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by dug
Yeah but why would you want anything to do with them? Might as well put a swastica under the emblem. **** *****
no its not that I would want anything to do with them, I am saying that the SS badge came out when the popular connotation of WW2 era "SS" was already there, (and much fresher in people's minds than it is now, I'd add) and that's kind of weird. But no matter. When I think SS I don't think angry Germans. I think "damn that's what I should've bought"

Brad
Old 05-14-2005, 04:28 PM
dug
Banned

lol, I have played too much Castle Wolfenstein. THe damn SS were always the hardest to kill.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:06 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is starting to deteriorate and it's getting close to getting locked. It was a valid discussion so let's get back to that point , please.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

My father has a 63 Nova SS and that didn't come with a V8. Hell look at the performance of some of these V6 cars they aren't that far off from the numbers of the cars back in the glory days.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Just too many SS's
Old 05-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Teching In

I believe that they have redefined the SS badge. It used to mean Super Sport, now it stands for Side Skirts.

It's a sad sad day for SS fans.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

We can only hope GM gets back on track, right now they have nothing to compete with the Mustang, the Corvette is too pricey and the Cobalt doesn't have enough power. They need to get a new Camaro out before they put themselves to shame. Hopefully the Camaro SS will continue the original SS tradition and remind people what a real SS performs and looks like.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:16 PM
Teching In

who ever started this thread should go over to a non-GM site and post it. post it over on SVTPERFORMANCE.COM and see what kind of answers you get from none chevy guys. thats what i did when i my chevy buddy called me a cheat for using nitrous, i did not want i biased sample, so i heard the other side or atleast someone that i know will not favor with me because we both have a cobra.
Old 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
12 Second Club

This is why my 3rd toy (which I will purchase next year) will be an 03-04 Cobra.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:53 AM
TECH Regular

I think the SS is getting a little overused. If it has an SS badge it should have considerable more power than the other models. Ex: Monte Carlo; Monte Carlo SS; Monte Carlo Supercharged. They should have just had SS on the S/C version only. The SS Silverado is a decent SS. It has power, It has good styling (Wich isn't just a "Sport Appereance" pack) And the suspension is better suited for going fast than towing heavy loads.

The SS should be more performance oriented than looks oriented. The car should be faster, lower stance than the base model, and be able to put you back in the seat with ease (and a big grin on your face). It should be in essence ready to race right from the factory.

I guess the problem i have is with the Aveo SS. The SS is supposed to strike fear in the competitors not make them laugh so much that they stall :-)

Just my .02 cents.
Chris
Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01SSDRVR
Chevy has the SS line, Ford SVT, Dodge SRT. Its all about making money. They all have 4 bangers in those groups.
Exactly, its all about about making money. They have to compete with the other companies. If you say you have a Cobalt...it doesnt sound as "cool" as when you say i have Cobalt SS! Stupid people automatically assume that its bigger, better, and "cooler" if it has the SS on it. Which in some cases is true, but not all...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

There's gonna be an Aveo SS? That's news to me.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Addict

Just as long as nobody starts pinning "WS6" on a bunch of wimpy soccer mom **** I'll be happy
Old 05-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Okay, I've been lurking here for a few months. This topic finally got me to register. I'm very much enjoying the debate so figured I'd put in my.02, for what its worth...

I voted No. Chevy is not destroying the SS name. Lots of you have pointed out history of "what" the SS is. Some of you have pointed out what the new SS "isn't". It's as simple as this. When the SS moniker was created nearly EVERY car was V8 powered when fully loaded. Also, nearly every car was RWD. It was the muscle car era. That is over. Since the early 70's when emissions hit, cars have been neutered in their power. Just in the last decade or so have we seen a real return to power. It's not about "is it deserving" its the fact that it IS deserving. We no longer have fleets of RWD cars rolling off the assembly lines. Discounting trucks, GM in all its divisions has the Corvette, the GTO (what I own as my daily driver), most Caddy's, and that is about it. Times change people. Take the Cobalt SS for example. 205hp in a little sport coupe. TWO HUNDRED FIVE horsepower out of four cylinders! That is impressive no matter how you look at it even if it takes a supercharger to get it. 15 years ago the 305 in the Camaro only made 205hp This is about progession of the market. Not "what is deserving" of the SS name. GM isn't going to listen to the enthusiasts...we don't buy enough cars. The masses are going to. When the masses see the SVT Focus or the Neon SRT-4, the RSX Type R, the Jetta GTi, etc, GM has to have something to compete. Or we won't have a GM to go to. GM can't just create a new name branding for it's performance line. As many of you have pointed out SRT and SVT for example have been out for a decade or a little more. The SS name has been out for decades. The SS name is still going to be reserved for the "performace" oriented model. It is still going to be much more limited availability. In short...it will still be an SS.

Last edited by bomber; 05-27-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
Just as long as nobody starts pinning "WS6" on a bunch of wimpy soccer mom **** I'll be happy
I think I'm gonna start calling my car a WU8. Too bad that RPO code doesn't sound as good as WS6 .
Old 05-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Its all about tradition.............something lacking today. I have owned many cars and trucks in my life. I have never, never owned a 4 door, front wheel drive, 4 or 6 cylinder or heaven forbid an import( pronounced Rice).

But then thats me........I love my SS.............My real SS............

Hmm Monte Carlo SS..........hehehe is that whats out on the NASCAR circuit?? A 6 cylinder Front Wheel Drive........??...........Dont thunk so.

Have fun............

Quick Reply: Chevy Destroying The SS Name?