Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My new daily driver - IROC Camaro. What do ya think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new daily driver. What do 'ya think?

Some of you may remember my other car, a 'bright red '93 Formula Firebird. It was my first car and up untill last summer, was my every day daily driver- rain or shine. My last run on the dyno I was making just shy of 500 at the wheels on the spray. Everything was going well until last summer when I blew the motor in a race.

Plans were to move back home in order to save money and then build a high compression, solid roller 396 which I'd switch over to a carb and then spray another 300 on top of that. The goal was to have the motor complete by this spring.

Well, it's now almost June and only the short block finished. I had no idea building a motor like this would be so expensive and time consuming. Regardless, I decided that I didn't want to spend another summer walking around so I set out to find a new daily driver.

I had 3 requirments.

1. It had to be AMERICAN !!
2. It had to be REAR WHEEL DRIVE !!
3. It HAD TO HAVE A V8 !!

I came across this dealership which only sold sports cars and they had like 8 IROCS for sale !!

I've loved the 3rd gen camaro's as they were THE car to have back when I was growing up in the 80's. (That and the 'Stang of course).

The Iroc's were what that got me into the whole car thing to begin with. I remember when my family used to go up to Ocean City every summer for holidays and I remember the first time I saw one of these cars and I fell in love. Like I said, it was the 3rd gens that sparked my interest in cars so when I saw this dealership selling them, I had to check them out.

To make a long story short, I ended up purchasing an '88 IROC-Z. It's got the Aussie rear-end with 4 wheel disk breaks and the 5.7L L98. (It HAD to be a 350

It may be hard to tell from the pic's but it's a midnight-blue colour, and it's got 168k kilometers on the clock.

It's a bit dirty in the pic's as it just rained but it'll give you an idea.

I've had it just over a week and the only money I've put into it was for a new radiator, hood louvers, and a 91-92 grill I have yet to install.

Just last week I picked up a JVC head deck with MP3/CD/DVD/gigaMP3/jpg player. It's JVC's top model and has it's own screen and has image quality FAR BETTER than any of the larger 6.5" lcd's I've seen from Pioneer or Clarion. It really has to be seen to be believed.

All I have to do now is upgrade the crappy stock speakers

Anyways, here's the link to see some pic's.

Tell me what you think. Not bad for a second car huh ?

My future mods are

mac 1 5/8 headers
hooker aero-chaamber exhaust
ram-air set up through the grill (going to take out the fog lights)
Complete suspension overhaul.

Any other suggestions??

MY NEW '88 IROC-Z
Old 05-29-2005, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

very nice car! do you know what springs are on it?

not many run the mac headers but its my advice to go with long tubes and switch to some pro kit springs. its not noted much on the boards but hedman long tubes are supposed to tuck up real close to the floorpan and will allow you to lower it. i also reccomend getting a bassani 4th gen catback. i have one on my car and its REALLY nice. real quiet for everyday driving but has a real nice tone when you get on it.

BTW what is the model number on that headunit, and if you dont mind, how much was it?
Old 05-30-2005, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
very nice car! do you know what springs are on it?

not many run the mac headers but its my advice to go with long tubes and switch to some pro kit springs. its not noted much on the boards but hedman long tubes are supposed to tuck up real close to the floorpan and will allow you to lower it. i also reccomend getting a bassani 4th gen catback. i have one on my car and its REALLY nice. real quiet for everyday driving but has a real nice tone when you get on it.

BTW what is the model number on that headunit, and if you dont mind, how much was it?

Thanks for the compliment.

The origional owner lowered the car but that was the only modification he'd done to it (thank god)

I don't know the brand but after having the car up on the hoist, I do know that the front springs had aleast 1 coil cut off with a blow torch. Apparently the lowering springs were not "low enough" for this guy
I will be upgrading to a set of eiback sportlines when the funding permits.

As far as the hedders, I'm not too sure I want to go with long tubes. I'm not gonna build up this motor to like 500 horse or anything. My Firebird will be the race car and this will be my every day car so I'm not looking to make the most possible HP. Long tubes may be a bit much for what I want.

I have Jet Hots on my LT1 and they hang pretty low and that car isn't even lowered and they hang just 4 inch's off the ground. I'm also quite certain I'll be giving up quite a bit of torque on the low-end aswell.

As far as the exhaust, I don't want anything LOUD. I'll save the noise for my Firebird. I want a nice DEEP rumble at idle and something that wont drive me nuts on the highway either. I only want it to be loud when I hammer it so that's why I want to go with the Hooker Aereochamber.

I've heard of the bassani but never really looked into them. I have no idea what they sound like or what they cost. Got any sound clips or a link to their site? Does a 4th gen exhaust really fit a 3rd gen?

The head unit is JVC's KD-AVX1. Here's a link to see it's spec's and see some photo's

CLICK HERE !!

It ran me $600 out the door and installed (Canadian currency) which is about $475 total American. (though I got it at dealer cost so you'd probably pay a good bit more)

I highly reccomend it as it has more feautures than you can shake a stick at and the screen is AWESOME. As I said, it's clearer than anything I've seen from Pioneer or Clarion though admittedly, it's only half the size. Spec's wise, with 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs it's got better spec's than just about any other deck I've seen so far.

Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited by '93 LT1; 05-30-2005 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by '93 LT1
Thanks for the compliment.

The origional owner lowered the car but that was the only modification he'd done to it (thank god)

I don't know the brand but after having the car up on the hoist, I do know that the front springs had aleast 1 coil cut off with a blow torch. Apparently the lowering springs were not "low enough" for this guy
I will be upgrading to a set of eiback sportlines when the funding permits.

As far as the heads, I'm not too sure I want to go with long tubes. I'm not gonna build up this motor to like 500 horse or anything. My Firebird will be the race car and this will be my every day car so I'm not looking to make the most possible HP. Long tubes may be a bit much for what I want.

I have Jet Hots on my LT1 and they hang pretty low and that car isn't even lowered and they hang just 4 inch's off the ground. I'm also quite certain I'll be giving up quite a bit of torque on the low-end aswell.

As far as the exhaust, I don't want anything LOUD. I'll save the noise for my Firebird. I want a nice DEEP rumble at idle and something that wont drive me nuts on the highway either. I only want it to be loud when I hammer it so that's why I want to go with the Hooker Aereochamber.

I've heard of the bassani but never really looked into them. I have no idea what they sound like or what they cost. Got any sound clips or a link to their site? Does a 4th gen exhaust really fit a 3rd gen?

The head unit is JVC's KD-AVX1. Here's a link to see it's spec's and see some photo's

CLICK HERE !!

It ran me $600 out the door and installed (Canadian currency) which is about $475 total American. (though I got it at dealer cost so you'd probably pay a good bit more)

I highly reccomend it as it has more feautures than you can shake a stick at and the screen is AWESOME. As I said, it's clearer than anything I've seen from Pioneer or Clarion though admittedly, it's only half the size. Spec's wise, with 5-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs it's got better spec's than just about any other deck I've seen so far.

Hope this answers your questions.
thanks for the info on the HU. im lookin for one for my 91 L98 trans am. as far as torque goes, the L98 makes so much that it really doesnt matter if you lose some. mine made 360ftlbs at around 3k rpms with only the catback, a cutout, homemade cai, and an asp crank pulley. i would gladly give some of that up for more pull up top.

and BTW you might wanna look elsewhere for a catback if you want deep. my buddy has it along with slp headers and i think a random tech cat on his 92 rs 305 tbi car and its a little deep but not much more than my bassani. if you want deep, just gut the cat and get a cutout. mine is hella deep and loud with the cap off.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Cool car. Can't beat a nice 3rd gen for a DD.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

I'd love a 3rd gen to **** around with.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 05-30-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! Third gens are real easy to work on and very simple cars to mess with. 88 is a good year, that year they switched to serpenine belts and it was the year before they went to VATs. Which can become very problematic in those cars. I would really eventually look in to an LT1 Intake for that car, along with headers and the usual bolt ons. Well running L98s have hit 12s full bolt on.

Quick Reply: My new daily driver - IROC Camaro. What do ya think?