Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Looks like Chevy needed a little help in designing the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006 | 11:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaMaRoZ28LS12000
I agree with toesuf94, the body lines on the Camaro are quite different from the lines of the Mustang, and the Camaro is not a rip off of an old version. It has subtle cues of a '69 Camaro like in the quarter panel and a little in the front, but it is mostly a whole new design unlike the Mustang that is like a snapshot of the '65 Mustang but rounded out.

Well said. Glad Im not the only one who can see this.
Old 01-16-2006 | 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtoformula400
I really like the new design... as far as the similarities w/ the mustang people said the same thing about the C6 and the Viper. Bottom line is that all cars of similar genres look some what alike ... Thats just the way it is.

That shouldn't be true, but unfortunately now a days, it is. Look at how similar a C5 is to 2002 vipers lines...not very. Then compare the C6's lines to the new viper... scarily similar. Come on people look at the pics, stop lying to yourselves, this is the same case with the new Camaro Concept to the new Mustang. What is going on with car designers these days, think up of something fresh for God sake, instead of reverting back to retro styling. I don't understand why Chevy didnt just build and improve upon the 02 camaros styling or something to that effect. Are they gona rehash the 2nd gens styling for the 6th gen camaro??
Just because it is new doesnt mean you have to automatically feel that it is a good design. How can any of you honestly say that you like the whole rear of the camaro concept
I absolutely LOVE the awesome motors GM makes and am an Fbody freak, but I desperately dont want to see GM blow this
Old 01-16-2006 | 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

how dare they have similar profiles!
Old 01-16-2006 | 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FireStorm

how dare they have similar profiles!

LOL

funny how poeple dont realize the similarities that alot of cars have. Look at the 1970 challenger and the 69 Camaro side view, almost identical.
Old 01-16-2006 | 07:05 PM
Teching In

honestly, i have a hard time distinguishing the new and old Mustangs. but the Camaro seems to be completely redesigned while being inspired by the 1st gen. this Camaro looks further from the Mustang than they originally did back in 67!

can you honestly say that if you were a GM designer, it would be shameful to study the Mustang re-design? hell, for all you know they couldve been studying it to make sure they dont design them to look the same. if you ask me, it would be more shameful if you saw a 69 'camaro in the background.

the rooflines and fenderlines look very close to their 1st gen counterparts. but the front end and the profile look WAY different, with only subtle 1st gen inspirations. and since the rear end is what most ppl will be seeing, it completely redesigned it to look nothing like any other Camaro. i mean, cmon, they didnt want to give Mustang owners nightmares from back in the 60's
Old 01-16-2006 | 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

If they are so similar why dont you swap parts from one car to the other and see how they match up. EVERY aspect of those cars are different. PANEL by PANEL, they are COMPLETELY different. EVERY new generation of camaro/firebird that has come out, there is always someone bitching about how they dont like this and they dont like that...I remember when the 98 camaros came out, I heard people say "that nose is ugly as hell, it looks like a chrysler nose..." dont like it? dont buy it. And for saying they should have built on the 4th gens...sometimes you need to start over. How similar are the 1st and 2nd gen cars? Do you think they built on the 1st gen's look or started fresh..
Old 01-17-2006 | 11:52 AM
Teching In

OMG! Two pony cars have the same basic lines! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
Old 01-17-2006 | 02:09 PM
Launching!

alright i dont mean to jack the thread here but the only opinion of the new camaro is i keep wondering if its going to take the value of my car way down cause my uncle isconvinced my car will be worth less then 10k when they come out with it and my car only has 9k miles on it
Old 01-17-2006 | 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LookinAtMyPlate
alright i dont mean to jack the thread here but the only opinion of the new camaro is i keep wondering if its going to take the value of my car way down cause my uncle isconvinced my car will be worth less then 10k when they come out with it and my car only has 9k miles on it
uh, doubt it will drop like that.
Old 01-17-2006 | 04:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LookinAtMyPlate

So why not drive it and enjoy the thing?
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:31 PM
Launching!

well i do love my car but i want one of the new z06's next year so im gonna need some of the money from my car to put down on that car.
Old 01-18-2006 | 12:11 PM
12 Second Club

Yes the first gen Camaros and Mustangs shared similar bodylines, but why does that make it OK for the 5th gens to do the same. 2nd 3rd and 4th gen Camaros and Mustangs looked further alike from each other with each new installation. Can't any of you see and agree that both Ford and Chevy are taking HUGE steps back in these designs. The REAL problem isn't that the new Camaro and Mustang look too similar to each other (thats a case for the Vette/Viper), but that both are retro and look too similar to their 1st gen styling, which back then looked alike. As I said in an earlier post what is in store for the looks of the 6th gen Camaro?, 2nd gen styling?? And what I ment before by saying they should base the new designs off of the 4th gens is that Chevy should make believe Camaros never had production stopped and produced whatever a 2003 f-body would have looked like, I doubt then there would be this retro nonsense mind-set.
Old 01-19-2006 | 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually, some of the 5.0 mustangs and 5.0 camaros looked similar. I think the new 'camaro has a new enough design, that it isnt forced to be retro. It just subtly says "camaro," hinting here and there of its heritage, while being a new, radically badass car. Hell, had they called it something else, im sure even the camaro purists would be all over it.
jmho..
olly
Old 01-19-2006 | 06:38 AM
On The Tree

Default Cars.com - Camaro Bashing

I saw the review of the new Camaro on Cars.com's coverage of the Detroit AutoShow... I guess the writers at Cars do not like GM very much, nor the "trailer trash" appeal of a Camaro...

Bullet points from the article:

Looks like: Anything but a Camaro
Defining characteristics: Mustang wheel arches, Mustang fastback roofline, mullet-haired driver, Rush CDs
Ridiculous features: The above, because this isn't a Mustang
Chance of being mass-produced: Not bloody likely — unless they start over

Quote from review: "Start growing those mullets, boys; the Camaro is back! Sort of. It's actually a concept car and it looks like something — maybe even a bunch of things — with the exception of a Camaro."

... and summed up... "As for the mullet, so long as it's a concept hairdo, you might be OK. Maybe it will look more like a pompadour mixed with a mohawk, with a hint of inspiration from marmot pelts. Call it a crossover. Who knows how it ultimately would come across — but it probably wouldn't look like a mullet."

Wow... thats just kinda harsh. I was just excited to see Chevy coming back into the Pony Car market. It was getting really lonely out there for the Mustang.

See the whole review here: http://cars.com/go/features/autoshow...evrolet_camaro
Old 01-19-2006 | 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GainesvilleLS1
I saw the review of the new Camaro on Cars.com's coverage of the Detroit AutoShow... I guess the writers at Cars do not like GM very much, nor the "trailer trash" appeal of a Camaro...

Bullet points from the article:

Looks like: Anything but a Camaro
Defining characteristics: Mustang wheel arches, Mustang fastback roofline, mullet-haired driver, Rush CDs
Ridiculous features: The above, because this isn't a Mustang
Chance of being mass-produced: Not bloody likely — unless they start over

Quote from review: "Start growing those mullets, boys; the Camaro is back! Sort of. It's actually a concept car and it looks like something — maybe even a bunch of things — with the exception of a Camaro."

... and summed up... "As for the mullet, so long as it's a concept hairdo, you might be OK. Maybe it will look more like a pompadour mixed with a mohawk, with a hint of inspiration from marmot pelts. Call it a crossover. Who knows how it ultimately would come across — but it probably wouldn't look like a mullet."

Wow... thats just kinda harsh. I was just excited to see Chevy coming back into the Pony Car market. It was getting really lonely out there for the Mustang.

See the whole review here: http://cars.com/go/features/autoshow...evrolet_camaro
wow, you werent kidding... everyone leave feedback on there and make sure you let them know what a douche Joe Wiesenfelder is
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Someone probably already pointed it out but...

A) The Camaro really doesn't look like the Mustang.

B) You ******* WISH the 2005 Mustang looked like the Mustang Concept. The Concept is much, much nicer looking than the production model.

(And if the Camaro ever sees production, I bet GM will **** the design right up as well... unfortunately).
Old 01-19-2006 | 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

Only similarity I see is that both cars are silver.
Old 01-20-2006 | 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

both have long hood, short deck lid. thats been the point ever since the pony cars started.
Old 02-03-2006 | 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

they made these cars 40 years ago.
thats why gm and ford are going under.
Old 02-03-2006 | 03:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000SLPZ28
both have long hood, short deck lid. thats been the point ever since the pony cars started.
CORRECT !!! give that man a cigar. That's what makes a pony car. They have to look alike.

Quick Reply: Looks like Chevy needed a little help in designing the new Camaro