Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

4th-Gen Camaro Future Values?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb 4th. Gen. Camaro Values?

Do you all think that the 4th. gens will ever be worth alot say like the 69's are? How many people plan on keeping their cars for 30 more years? Just wondering!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Nope.

I am planning on keeping her as long as possible.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Resident

You can buy my car when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!

I will drive my car till they stop selling gasoline... then i will make my car run on hydrogen.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

No, for a number of reasons. Primarily, the 69s were around in a musclecar era, where everyone had a musclecar. Now these people are old, have money, and will pay insanely high prices for a piece of their youth.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be driving mine until it falls apart on me, most likely. I really want an FRC C5 Corvette though, a Z06 would be nice... but I'd settle for an FRC C5.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:30 PM
12 Second Club

I'll keep mine till I die.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Banned

SOME 4th gens are going to be hot property, some won't.

LT4 Firehawk age for age will be worth more.
GMMG Blackbirds and Berger, Earnhardt Camaros YES!
Old 01-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

4th gens will never be worth as much because they will never be as rare. Honestly how many people back in the 60's/70's put cars away? Now you have people buying **** and parking it in a climate controlled bubble so it will have 10 miles on it in 30 years.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CoRNFeD Z
4th gens will never be worth as much because they will never be as rare. Honestly how many people back in the 60's/70's put cars away? Now you have people buying **** and parking it in a climate controlled bubble so it will have 10 miles on it in 30 years.
That's true but you have to consider there was 700,000 1st gens made, compare that to 235,000 ls1-style 4th gens and only 34,000 ls1 SS's. I don't think there are really that many people saving these 4th gens, cetainly not enough to have tens of thousands in pristine condition 30 years from now. I have no idea if they really will be valuable in the future, but I think that with how few were made that there is a good chance that they will be like what the 1st gens are now, and maybe even surpass them, 30 years from now.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned

Think about it. The people that pay big money are people that "had" or "wanted" that certain type of object in the past.

There will be tons of people that would've had a 4th gen 30 years from now. Some of these people will be rich in the future.
"I" for one would pay a premium for a high quality Ws6, SS, or whatever when I'm 60 years old. I'm sure there's quite a few people out there like me.

I'll still have my Firehawk, but I might want more.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by bbfirebird
Now these people are old, have money, and will pay insanely high prices for a piece of their youth.
And that is exactly why perfect or fully restored 4th gens will eventually be high dollar cars as well, even more so for the top models. It's all about trying to recapture youth; for those that can afford it, no price is too great.
Old 01-21-2006, 03:39 AM
Teching In

very true about hangin on 2 the youth... people w/ gr8 passion for them and who are rich will pay high value for them in 30 yrs... Honestly how many people will have the 4th Generation F-bodys 30 yrs from now, belive me they will be rare 2 a certain extent, but I'm with that 1 guy, wen Gas runs out, I'm switchin 2 hydrogen 2!... I will never sell my F-body, It goes down 2 my 1st son, (In which I will show him the F-body way, But that's when I will be a very old man)
99 Black A4 Z28 Mods: Pacesetter LT's w/ Y-pipe, 3600stall vigilante TQ, cold air induct, Zr1 rims w/ 315 BFG's, Pulley, 3.73 gears, Subframe connectors, q-mile 12.3 -On the way, full suspension, and Comp Cam 233/239 (magic stick 2)
Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well first gens have so much value now cuz they are in demand.... the muscle car craze hit and everyone wanted the old car so the prices skyrocketed. everyone loves the first gens and thats why they make a crate camaro body for 10-20 grand or whatever it is. they got very popular and the rarer ones gained even more value. plus that was a hell of a time period where for the first time, ppl started really caring about power and speed and muscle cars birth occured

if there is a large demand in the future for 4th gens, then yes they will be worth something.

ppl are saying that thirdgens will be more demanded as the next hot thing to mod up... i'm still waiting for that one. but i dont plan on sellin my car
Old 01-25-2006, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
And that is exactly why perfect or fully restored 4th gens will eventually be high dollar cars as well, even more so for the top models. It's all about trying to recapture youth; for those that can afford it, no price is too great.
Not necessarily. The reason there is such a market for the older musclecars is because the late 60s to very early 70s were the musclecar years. Camaros, 'Cudas, Hemis, GT500 Mustangs, Trans Ams, etc. were the cars to own. They were very popular and made a lasting impression on society and the people who were young at the time. Today, the musclecar isn't as popular as it was back in the day, which is why they stopped making Camaros and Firebirds after the 4th gen.

Now it seems to be making a comeback, seemingly due to the classic musclecar craze (since the new ones are all retro-styled). But musclecars now will never be as collectible as the original musclecars, unless there is a HUGE "new" musclecar craze as big or bigger than the one in the late 60s. Not to even mention though, if gas is $3.00 a gallon now, what will it be in 40 years when the 4th gens are as old as the classic musclecars are today? That could have a huge potential impact on the demand of 4th gens in the future.

Granted, there will be people in the future that want 4th gen f-bodies. But the demand I don't think will be as high as it is now for the older musclecars, because there aren't the number of people compared to the supply of vehicles to drive the price up.

Another factor that makes the older musclecars more valuable is how they were optioned. You had a broad choice of engine and trim options 40 years ago. Did you want a base Camaro, an RS, an SS, and RS/SS, a ZL1, a Z28, a COPO, etc etc.? Did you want a 305, a 327, a 350, a 396, a 427, a 454, etc.? It's a lot harder to find a particular classic musclecar today, say for example a restored 1969 396 RS/SS, than it would be to find a 2002 SS in the future, because in the 4th gen, optioning was much more limited. There was only one V8- and it was in both the Z28 and the SS. The 4th gen cars that have the greatest chance of being worth something are the rarer cars, like the LT4 SSs and Firehawks, Blackbirds, Mechams, GMMGs, etc.

If you want to make an investment, you can make much more money other ways than keeping a car for 30-40 years. The classic musclecar craze that exists today will eventually stop. The buyers (who now are mostly middle-aged men in their "midlife crisis" years) will grow older and want different things in life instead of spending $500k on an old car. The market will drop. It happened in the 80s with exotic cars, it'll happen again.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We can only hope that 4th Gens will be in demand 30 years from now, but I don't think they will ever reach the status of the 1st Generation.

I plan on keeping my car forever if I can, but I would like to turn it into a street/strip monster after I get back from WyoTech and get a good job a couple years down the road, by then the 5th Gen will hopefully be out, and a shiney Red Z, or SS will be sitting in the driveway and tearing up the steets. Come on GM, we want the 5th Gen :-).

Quick Reply: 4th-Gen Camaro Future Values?