Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

First Gen Front Clips

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Gen Front Clips

I was wondering if anyone has any input on aftermarket front clips for first gen F-bodys. Im trying to decide what would be best for a street car that I will take the drag strip on the weekends. It is definely not going to be a g-machine, just a fast street car that will be running 11's or faster at the track. I was looking at the 21st Century c5 front clip. Anyone have one or another companies? Strengths Weaknesses? C5 vs Standard coil over? Any input would be great.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
I was wondering if anyone has any input on aftermarket front clips for first gen F-bodys. Im trying to decide what would be best for a street car that I will take the drag strip on the weekends. It is definely not going to be a g-machine, just a fast street car that will be running 11's or faster at the track. I was looking at the 21st Century c5 front clip. Anyone have one or another companies? Strengths Weaknesses? C5 vs Standard coil over? Any input would be great.
Well, lets look at your question and the included statement first.

"Not a G-machine, but you are thinking about a C5 front end?" Uh. That is pretty much a touring car SLA suspension. If its definately not going to be a g-machine, then why use it at all. Doesnt do you much good for the 1320. Yeah the cast alloy arms drop some weight but its added back into the frame to support the UCA. You'll need to change your brakes all together and with the UCA mounts, some off the shelf headers wont fit either.... so there are other things that you'll have to weight out fitment-wize.

If I were going to do a bolt in clip for a 1320 chassis, I'd do a strut-rod coil over setup. Hey 1320 is 1320. If you are going to built it for straight line driving, set it up for straight line driving. When you compromise one thing it will always effect another. But is the money being spent doing what you need ? What is it that you really need ? Light weight ? Tube structure ? Is it a dedicated drag car ? Freeway driving ?

Martzchassis~ makes a nice strut type front clip.

Id say save the money and run the Global West's drag race suspension for the 67-69. Its listed under the Cat5 components.

Unless its going to be a duality car. And there is another can-o-worms all together.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:03 AM
7 Second Club

A bolt-on front clip is really a little overkill IMHO for a drag strip car running 11s. We have 3 Novas running out of our camp (same front suspension as 67-69 Camaro) and all of them are running stock-style suspension with stock stamped control arms and standard shock set-ups. Coil-overs are nice but in many cases not needed, and aftermarket control arms can lose you a little weight and add some strength. My Nova has gone a 1.460 60 foot with only polyurethane bushings and 90/10 drag shocks to upgrade from stock suspension specs, and it drives nice and straight down track.

Might want to post this up in the drag racing tech section as well for a few more responses.

Good luck whatever route you choose!

Derek
Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chicane

Id say save the money and run the Global West's drag race suspension for the 67-69. Its listed under the Cat5 components.

Cool thanks. I wasnt aware that Global West made suspension components made specifically for street/strip cars. I think this might be a better set up for my goals. The only problem is i still need custom headers for my 408 LS1. I was hoping with the c5 clip that i could bolt up some off the shelf 1 7/8" headers with little fitment issues and not have to worry about custom motor mounts. Either way I go its going to cost an arm and a leg... maybe more haha.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem is i still need custom headers for my 408 LS1. I was hoping with the c5 clip that i could bolt up some off the shelf 1 7/8" headers with little fitment issues and not have to worry about custom motor mounts. Either way I go its going to cost an arm and a leg... maybe more haha.
Have you seen our Lsx headers, specifically for the 67-69 ?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/386443-headers-lsx-1st-gen-f-body.html
Old 03-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Launching!

Who makes them and what size are they ?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Who makes them and what size are they ?
ATS (a sponser here). They are made to spec, so the size will vary for cid and other engine parameter requirements.

What is shown in the previos linked thread are the 7.0L displacement headers on my '67. They are a multi stepped, multi merged, try-y design.

For more information give Tyler a call.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chicane, is yours the green with the C5 chassis and bodykit?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

That would be Tyler's "5050".

My 67 is our development test bed chassis.

Quick Reply: First Gen Front Clips