Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans
View Poll Results: (read post before answering) 4th Gen Camaro: Muscle Car or Sports Car
Sports Car
20.08%
Muscle car
74.80%
Confused
2.56%
I really dont know
2.56%
Voters: 508. You may not vote on this poll

4th Gen Camaro: Muscle Car or Sports Car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 03:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me put it this way: can anyone name another sports car with a rear seat? How about a solid rear axle? The defense rests.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Let me put it this way: can anyone name another sports car with a rear seat? How about a solid rear axle? The defense rests.
i remember reading somewhere that by defination, sports cars do not have a rear seat
Old 06-11-2006, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My Porsche has a rear seat, weighs about 2900lbs, drives the rear wheels through a fully independent suspension with a 5 speed transaxle...not a sports car?

Rear seats could easily be put in the Corvette, they've just chosen to structure the interior differently. 2+2's have rear seats for storage, insurance reasons, and the ability to make short trips with others or children.

There is a thin/vague line that seperates a GT from a sports car, but seat do not define it.

Think(cars with rear seats) 928, 911 Carerra(?), 300ZX2+2, F-body, Ferrari 550/575, etc...GT's? Sports cars? I'd say GT's, but it could easily go the other way. The 911 is the exception, depending on the trim it is bare bones sports car(911 GT2, GT3, even a base rwd), or a GT if it's a heavily optioned 4wd model...where does the Turbo fit? I say heavy sports car that can function as a GT.

EDIT: These terms are overly limiting is my point....to some the true roots of a "sports car" means two seater, open top, rwd, that's it. To the topic, I think a Camaro is generally a muscle car with the 4th gen having GT and Sports car leanings, and other than a slightly harsh ride it can be made to be fairly decent at sports and GT, and awesome as a muscle car.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sports cars have two seats. PERIOD!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

And Muscle Cars dont need computers or fuel injection! Hehe , I dont know what else to call them besides Performance Cars.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
My Porsche has a rear seat, weighs about 2900lbs, drives the rear wheels through a fully independent suspension with a 5 speed transaxle...not a sports car?

Rear seats could easily be put in the Corvette, they've just chosen to structure the interior differently. 2+2's have rear seats for storage, insurance reasons, and the ability to make short trips with others or children.

There is a thin/vague line that seperates a GT from a sports car, but seat do not define it.

Think(cars with rear seats) 928, 911 Carerra(?), 300ZX2+2, F-body, Ferrari 550/575, etc...GT's? Sports cars? I'd say GT's, but it could easily go the other way. The 911 is the exception, depending on the trim it is bare bones sports car(911 GT2, GT3, even a base rwd), or a GT if it's a heavily optioned 4wd model...where does the Turbo fit? I say heavy sports car that can function as a GT.

EDIT: These terms are overly limiting is my point....to some the true roots of a "sports car" means two seater, open top, rwd, that's it. To the topic, I think a Camaro is generally a muscle car with the 4th gen having GT and Sports car leanings, and other than a slightly harsh ride it can be made to be fairly decent at sports and GT, and awesome as a muscle car.

you knew if someone said PORSCHE!!!!! lol i'd be here screaming it and bowing down to it.... PORSCHE!!!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by reject
you knew if someone said PORSCHE!!!!! lol i'd be here screaming it and bowing down to it.... PORSCHE!!!!!
bowing down to ugly? fine its fast and handles great, whatever, its still god awful ugly

and to whoever said its a performance car, i think thats the answer to this question
Old 06-13-2006, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh2006
.....now for the 3rd gen, it was the ugly step child (no offence to anyone that likes them but that seems to be the general consinsis (sp) ) dont really consider it either muscle or sport...

The general consensus is that 3rd gens are ugly huh? I guess that is why they sold twice as many 3rd gens as 4th gens......
Old 06-13-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hylton
The general consensus is that 3rd gens are ugly huh? I guess that is why they sold twice as many 3rd gens as 4th gens......
And if we consider the platform for 4th gens is based highly on the 3rd gen... I think a clean 3rd gen looks very nice, hell Ive even considered getting a GTA, had a deal on a 3rd gen Formula but it was based on if we could get it to fit into the last container - but nothing else would have fit at all...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Resident

Sports car to me
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by satownz28
camaro came about to lay the smack down on the mustang, which was a pony car. a muscle car is a two door midsized coupe (i.e. chevelle and gto, to include new gto). so by DEFINITION it is a pony car.............
+1. Mustang, Camaro, Firebird=Ponycar= Lighter than musclecar(smaller body with the same or bigger V8 engine). Muscle car (GTO, Charger, Chevelle, GNX, etc.)
Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
Launching!

Muscle car all the way.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bene
+1. Mustang, Camaro, Firebird=Ponycar= Lighter than musclecar(smaller body with the same or bigger V8 engine). Muscle car (GTO, Charger, Chevelle, GNX, etc.)
Ill put my vote there too
Old 06-15-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it has to be a muscle car!! come on, put a nasty *** loping cam in it and people think you have the big block 454 under the hood. its pure muscle
Old 06-15-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Ill say it again, theres a HUGE difference between my Charger and my TA, hell there was a huge difference between my dad's 2nd gen TA and my TA... Those were Muscle Cars, the TA is not.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea but which will get up and go faster? your dads charger or your ta? i know the charger is a true american muscle car, of its time. but i would still think you could consider the f-body a muscle car of its time.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Default Two ways to look at it...

Put the 4th Gen F-bodies in context. When comparing them to all muscle cars from all generations: they look like sports cars. BUT, how many cars in production from 93-02 looked as badass, as truly INTIMIDATING as a Camaro SS or a Trans Am WS6? Until the end of its run: none. that fear factor, that pure look of "Biotch i will eat you for dinner" just by looking at one of these beasts, is why my gut tells me: this car is THE muscle car of its time.

On that note: What motor sizes were there back in 98? Compared to what the competition was throwing out (Ex: Fords 4.6l/281ci V8), a 5.7L/350ci motor is mammoth. How many other cars back in 98 had 5.7L pushing them around?? Relatively few. That, to me, makes the LS1 a big engine, for its time. Manufacturers are starting to make bigger motors in the past couple years, but with todays technology/by today's standards, 5.7L is nothing to call "small".

^^^Edit: i know they didnt make the SS/WS6 during every year of production, I was just generalizing!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LastLT1
yea but which will get up and go faster? your dads charger or your ta? i know the charger is a true american muscle car, of its time. but i would still think you could consider the f-body a muscle car of its time.
Can see what your saying (Although I do believe stock for stock the Charger and TA are going to be pretty close in the 1/4)... And its my Charger btw, my dad has/had his own Muscle Cars
Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry, misread. bet just by putting a cam and full exhaust in an ls1, the power it would make wouldnt compare to what your charger would. ls1's are very responsive to just a cam and full exhaust(from what i have experienced).
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LastLT1
sorry, misread. bet just by putting a cam and full exhaust in an ls1, the power it would make wouldnt compare to what your charger would. ls1's are very responsive to just a cam and full exhaust(from what i have experienced).
But we are speaking of stock F-Bodies... Hell if I put a cam (headers are already going on), it will of course increase its power...

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Camaro: Muscle Car or Sports Car?