Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Battery died... Can't get in car now...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery died... Can't get in car now...

This problem is on my 2001 Z-28... I do have the stock, GM, anti-theft system on this car FWIW...

I let the car sit for too long without charging my battery up and now it is discharged to the point where the 'led' for the alarm will not even blink.

This is a 1yr old Optima, Red-Top battery and my connections were flawlessly clean when I installed it... I just let it sit too long and now I get to pay the price.

Normally, I could just use my key to open the door and then pop the trunk.

I have never tried using a key in the door of this car before and NONE of my keys would work. I tried the square key and the round key. The round key would go in the slot but would NOT work ANY of the cylinders (not even the trunk). It would not turn at all, anywhere... I tried both sets of keys BTW

I went to a local dealer and had a new key cut after showing them my title and such... I figured that Bill Heard had screwed up and gave the wrong door keys when I bought the car (new, I am the original owner). It would NOT be the first time Bill Heard has ripped me off guys. The key that was cut for my vin was different than the other round keys I had, so I figured that this was the problem. The new key went in the lock, but would not turn in ANY of the cylinders.

My car is stored in a Climate Cont. environment and does NOT see any rain or airbourn crap particles that could cause trash to build up in a lock cylinder... I tried ALL the different cylinders including the one for the trunk FWIW. The key would never turn, no matter how I jiggled it around. I have never HAD to use the key to get in before. I always used the remote and never had a problem. The ignition key was the only key I was concerned with before... Learned a real good lesson today for sure!

So, I went a bought a trickle charger and I was going to see if I could stab a probe/awl into the large, red battery cable that comes down from the battery. I can see it from under the car and I was thinking that if I stabbed it and then hooked up the + lead from the charger to it and hooked the neg. lead to the frame... Maybe I could trickle charge the battery enough to operate the door locks???

I bought a 2amp (12v) trickle charger.

Will this 'idea' work or can someone please give me some advice as to how to get into my car (or under the hood would be cool) a little easier?

I sure would appreciate any advice or tips to help me get into my ride friends... It sucks to be me right now!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you just have the wrong key, you could call a locksmith. They can put an aluminum blank key in the lock, turn it to make an impression, then file till it fits. I'm sure they have other methods as well. Or even AAA will come open it for free if you have or know someone that has an account.

I would start by spraying some wd40 or better yet penetrating oil in the locks first and let it sit overnight. They may just be froze up from not being used.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just call Pop a Lock or someone to get the door open. Then you can charge the battery properly and figure out what's going on with the door keys later. Doors/T-Tops/hatch should all be the same cut. Funny thing is I had a battery go south once, remote would'nt even unlock the door...but the hatch was popped.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DaveX
If you just have the wrong key, you could call a locksmith. They can put an aluminum blank key in the lock, turn it to make an impression, then file till it fits. I'm sure they have other methods as well. Or even AAA will come open it for free if you have or know someone that has an account.

I would start by spraying some wd40 or better yet penetrating oil in the locks first and let it sit overnight. They may just be froze up from not being used.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out friend...

I am sort of spooked to spray any oil into the lock cylinder as the oil would collect crap and such eventually...

I could call a locksmith but I am not real 'keen' on showing a 'stranger' exactly where I store my car and then watching him show me exactly how easy it is to pick my lock...

My battery is dead and the damn alarm that I paid EXTRA for would not even make a chirp... Neither would my Optima...

I was really hoping for some tips about charging it from 'underneath', or tips about 'popping the hood without a door key'...

I just hate to see someone screwing with the door and window of my car (likely messing stuff up along the way) while they show me just how easy it is to steal my car... and take my money...

I would rather buy a new battery cable first...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

i would figure that the trickle charge method would work to give it enough power to pop it...eventually, i'd try that
Old 04-07-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

after...get a key that fits so it will not be a problem again.....g'luck..
Old 04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Levman74
i would figure that the trickle charge method would work to give it enough power to pop it...eventually, i'd try that

i say try the trickle charger, but cant you find something bigger than 2 amps? i say use a 5 or 10 amp charger and get it from underneath, just make sure you get a GOOD ground. good luck
Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 PM
12 Second Club

HAHAHA that is kinda funny but it sucks too. i wish you the best of luck with that though.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry to bug you guys with something this stupid...

I appreciate the help here for sure.

I am on my way to go stab that wire now and will post up in the AM if it worked out or not...
Old 04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the connections from the alternator... I don't know if your going to have trouble with reprogramming your Key FOBS though without being able to put the key in the ignition.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am back and it worked...

I wormed under the car and stabbed the red power cable (near the driver side headlight) with a very small awl. I hooked up my little cheap, craftsman, 2 amp, trickle charger and I was able to unlock my door instantly.

There also happened to be a grounding bolt right there as well for the neg lead on my charger. I got lucky...

I did not have to reprogram any of the key fobs in this case, It was just the car battery that crapped on me. I tested it and it did show about 11 volts, but that was not enough to do squat. I had a bad feeling when I noticed that the alarm LED was not blinking any more.

Now I get to make a bunch of phone calls and have some entertainment at Bill Heard's expense. I am sure that they will worm out of making this right but I will have a blast reporting them and their buisiness practices to Chevy, The BBB, and anybody else that will listen...

Thanks for helping me out guys, I hope someone here can learn from my stupidity and that this won't happen to them. Check your keys if you have never used them before guys...

Battery should be charged up by tomorrow so I can knock some of the dust off my toy.

Thanks again guys!
Old 04-08-2007, 10:01 AM
On the tree

How is this the dealers fault that a optima red top went bad due to non use and or proper charging?

Optima red tops can go bad. I had mine for 2.5 years and went on a trip this January. I was gone for a week and when we got back my Fomrula would not start. Bought a chrager that had a tester and the battery had a bad cell in it. Charged it and took it down to sears which is where I bought the battery originally. They tested it and replaced it for free.

You gotta let go of those conspiracy theories at some point or else you will always be looking over your shoulders.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:30 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Optimas are getting a bad reputation. How is the stabbed power cable doing?
Old 04-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Launching!

I "used" to go thru this every winter. It depends on the extent of the drain that your car has on the battery (devices like stereo equipment, car theft devices etc), but having the car sit for an extended period w/o starting it will cause the battery to drain. My problem was that I could not have the car sit much longer than 3 weeks without starting it (on a good battery in good weather). This past winter was too much on my battery, so it took a dive. I ended up getting a battery tender for it, so as it will provide charging while the car sits. If you haven't done this yet, I highly recommend that you get a battery tender if your car is stored all the time.

As for the cylinder locks, it appears to me that either you were issued the wrong keys, or somehow someone changed your locks. I have had the same experience once where the battery was drained SO low that the keypad would not function. I used my key to open the door, however. If your dealer was responsible for the mix-up, the very least he/she should do is to straighten out the key mix-up at no cost.

Good luck.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
How is this the dealers fault that a optima red top went bad due to non use and or proper charging?

Optima red tops can go bad. I had mine for 2.5 years and went on a trip this January. I was gone for a week and when we got back my Fomrula would not start. Bought a chrager that had a tester and the battery had a bad cell in it. Charged it and took it down to sears which is where I bought the battery originally. They tested it and replaced it for free.

You gotta let go of those conspiracy theories at some point or else you will always be looking over your shoulders.
if you read it again you will see that he said the dealer gave him the wrong key. he didnt say hes going to complain about the battery dying...
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

get a friend and have him pull on the door glass and slide your hand in there to either pop the t-top out or unlock the door. i know it sounds stupid but the glass will not break. i was stuck durring rod run ontop of a mountain and got a little desperate. had no money for a locksmith and i locked my keys in the car. i got a good scrap on my arm but saved some bucks doing it.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000SLPZ28
get a friend and have him pull on the door glass and slide your hand in there to either pop the t-top out or unlock the door. i know it sounds stupid but the glass will not break. i was stuck durring rod run ontop of a mountain and got a little desperate. had no money for a locksmith and i locked my keys in the car. i got a good scrap on my arm but saved some bucks doing it.
I think he did get in already. I also had problems with Bill Heard a few years ago. I feel your pain.

Bill
Old 04-10-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6

Read the post first before you open your mouth... You will sound smarter that way friend.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by grb
Optimas are getting a bad reputation. How is the stabbed power cable doing?

The cable is doing fine friend. I sharpened the tip of the awl up really well before stabbing the wire and I only really had to poke in into the cable a few mm or so...

Barely even left a hole in the insulations afterwards...

Not crying about my Optima at all either. I own 2 of the 'Red-Top' batteries and they both work well. I hate the way this one 'looks' under my hood and need to tint the top of it some but that is a different story alltogether.

The reason that this particular Optima took a dump on me was because I had not been keeping it charged up. This car is a playtoy for me and sometimes it sits for a while under its little blankie... 20k on my clock in it.

I got bad caught up assembling and testing the new racing engine in my sons pocketbike and I didn't get around to playing with the Camaro any for a while.

The kids bike sings like a mother now though.

Bill Bowling, Sorry to hear about that friend. Learning is good and I have LEARNED about Bill Herd for sure...

Quick Reply: Battery died... Can't get in car now...