Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

My 92 z28 (pics inside) what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then the Hooker Super Comps and the Mufflex Y-pipe will support all the power you are looking to make and then some.

Cam is another story.... a proven combo is the TPIS ZZ9 and the Miniram. You would need to verify if the Vortec heads would flow enough to support that cam and intake.

R/
Frat
Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fratsit
Well then the Hooker Super Comps and the Mufflex Y-pipe will support all the power you are looking to make and then some.

Cam is another story.... a proven combo is the TPIS ZZ9 and the Miniram. You would need to verify if the Vortec heads would flow enough to support that cam and intake.

R/
Frat
I don't know about the mini ram but I know they make a vortec head spefic stealth ram. What about the tpis base and slp runners? A lt1 non hot cam?
Old 12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by david068513
thanks but just so you know there were only 5192 z28s made in 92 and less then 1000 have the g92 rearend, with all the options it has it is one of under 800.
How do you determine if it is a g92 rearend? All this talk about 92's is going to make me want to start working on mine again. It is sitting out back at my dad's with open headers. I have the Hedman ones, they are ok but not great.

I wanted to keep under the hood looking stock so I kept the original intake on but ported it. I know that there is more power left on the table with a different intake but I didn't want to go that route.

Mine came fully loaded with power everything and a crack in the dash.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:05 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine is a busted *** RS and i dont give a crap about a badge when it comes to performance, i would leave it stock if value has anything to do with the rarity of the car. Get a RS like me and do as you wish so the value basically will go up parts wise and not worry due to being a RS. If i had a IROC or Z i would leave it alone more than likely, or just sell it because i would want to mod it.

My buddy has a 8000 mile 92 1LE car, he sold the engine and installed a 383 carbed, so the value dreopped on originality but it still looks new.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Resident

Leave the hood and spoiler alone, they make the 91-92 Zs stand out from the millions of 3rd gens. Either repaint your stock wheels or get ZR1s or C6 wheels. Have it detailed and take the chrome strip off of the doors. Since you have the vortec heads I don't think the big mouth base will work. Try putting in a cam, headers, a nice exhaust, get tha tranny rebuilt, and get a new tranny mount (that is what causes the thump when it hits second gear). And enjoy stomping the crap out almost everything you come across(watch out for LT1s and LS1s).
Old 12-17-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
Leave the hood and spoiler alone, they make the 91-92 Zs stand out from the millions of 3rd gens. Either repaint your stock wheels or get ZR1s or C6 wheels. Have it detailed and take the chrome strip off of the doors. Since you have the vortec heads I don't think the big mouth base will work. Try putting in a cam, headers, a nice exhaust, get tha tranny rebuilt, and get a new tranny mount (that is what causes the thump when it hits second gear). And enjoy stomping the crap out almost everything you come across(watch out for LT1s and LS1s).
thanks. who said it thumps lol. I just replaced the tranny mount .
Old 12-17-2007, 09:31 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I busted a brand new one so i had to opt to the poly mout. It happens.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Nice Car...I would head over to Thirdgen.org if I was you. It's a very tech specific (ie:not as social as LS1Tech) forum and you can learn ANY thing about thirdgen's there. For instance, there is pretty much a section/board for every thing thats been mentioned here: TPI, Suspension, Transmission, Appearance, Alternate EFI (Stealth Ram, Mini Ram, etc.), History and Restoration, and Exhaust... (among many other sections).

All the advice given so far has been good, but to look for more opinions and ideas I'd head over there as well.

PS: '92 Z28's are the best! \/
Old 12-18-2007, 05:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea AMack is right, search before you ask questions, there are members that like to get pissed dealing with questions they have been asked a ton, hell, i dont even look at the exhaust board due to the same questions revolving over and over. But, even if i do answer something i am not a dick about it, there is also the fact that you can only have so many possibilities for a car so the questions do eventually run out.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AMack
Nice Car...I would head over to Thirdgen.org if I was you. It's a very tech specific (ie:not as social as LS1Tech) forum and you can learn ANY thing about thirdgen's there. For instance, there is pretty much a section/board for every thing thats been mentioned here: TPI, Suspension, Transmission, Appearance, Alternate EFI (Stealth Ram, Mini Ram, etc.), History and Restoration, and Exhaust... (among many other sections).

All the advice given so far has been good, but to look for more opinions and ideas I'd head over there as well.

PS: '92 Z28's are the best! \/
I am a member there. I just figured it would be easier to ask all my questions in one tread then fill up every board over there.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

leave it stock these cars are getting harder to find everyday not ragged out
Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Teching In

I say do whatever you want to it that makes you the happiest. Here is what I would do, though:

First things first: Spend some time and elbow grease and give the car a thourough detail: clay bar, polish, etc, clean the engine bay up, and hit the interior.

Appearance: leave the stock hood and spoiler. If you want to change that I would suggest an "SS" style hood as I think they look good on the 3rd Gen Camaro, but I also think the hood bulges and tall spoiler are what make the '91-'92 and prefer them over the previous cars for that alone. Maybe tint the windows (if that is your thing - it is for me, but not everyone). And if your stock wheels are in need of a re-finish I would use that as an excuse to go with new wheels and tires and put more rubber under it. I was going to do the ZR1 style wheels in 17x9.5 front and 17x11 rear to fit 315's back there. And, yes, there is an offset available for those wheels that does not require spacers. My other choice was going to be custom Fikse's, but those are big bucks. The ones on my car below were just a cheap option at the time as the stock ones from my car needed work.

Suspension: Talk to Sam Strano (http://www.stranoparts.com/) before you do anything. Tell him what you want from the car and he will stear you in the right direction with reasons why he suggests something. I do know he is against the lowering of 3rd Gen IROCS/Z28/etc as it is not good for suspension geometry. Get his input on sway bar, control arms, Panhard bar, Torque arm, etc. I went with his suggestion and of course upgraded with Prothane bushings were I could. Only thing I still needed on mine was shocks. Would recommend Bilstein or Koni - depending on budget. I think the BMR products are good as well. And definitely get subframe connectors and a strut tower brace. Stock 3rd Gens are almost like wet noodles. I had the Kenny Brown products on my car and was VERY pleased with them. Also, their STB is a 3-point design so it ties the firewall in with the strut towers and was an easy install.

Performance: I would start with the basics: cut out the splash shields under the air filters and maybe make your own ram air from behind the fog lights, port the upper plenum to get rid of the known casting blocks, Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, headers, and full exhaust. Then get a good chip. I still think Ed Wright is one of the best for a "mail-order" tune: http://www.fastchip.com/, but not sure who else is out there these days for the 3rd Gens. Ultimately I am one that would do a LS1/T-56 swap and if you think you might do that some day hold off on headers, intake upgrades, etc. If you want to keep the stock motor then you need to decide if you want to upgrade the TPI or go aftermarket. If you go aftermarket my suggestion is Mini-Ram style, but that is my opinion and others have theirs.

Rear End: Do you have the 9-bolt or 10-bolt back there? If you have the 10-bolt, I would recommend 3.42 gears or so as they are a nice compromise with the torque of the TPI motor and don't turn too much rpm with them. Also, the SLP torsen limited slip is a good "upgrade" option for reasonable amount of money.

Brakes: You can either go all out with one of the Baer Racing setups, or do a good upgrade that retains stock wheels, etc. I did my upgrade with parts from Thunder Racing. But irregardless of who you get stuff from, I was happy with the following: New Power Slot slotted rotors front and rear, Hawk HPS pads, Earl's stainless steel braided brake lines (might have done Goodridge if they were available at the time), and ATE Super Blue brake fluid (thought it had the best Wet/Dry boil points for the money and has a slow moisture absorbtion rate: http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html)

OK, there's some ideas. You asked and I am glad to provide. I like my 3rd Gens and you have a nice car there. Good luck with whatever route you go.

Here is a picture of my '91 Z28: 305TPI, 5-speed, t-tops, 4 wheel disc, 3.42 geared, etc. Window tint is 5% on side and back and 35% on windshield (I will never go that dart again and will never tint a windshield again):

Old 12-25-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Resident

I am installing a system in it tomorrow ( two 12' subs and two amps all new speakers everywhere.) I am getting it tinted.(not the windshield lmao)
Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't know if it has been mentioned but i too am a 3rd gen owner ('87 Formula) and i believe there is a base that allows you to use Vortec style heads with the TPI system. when i do my LQ4/L92 swap into my '97 my '87 is gettin the LT1, and perhaps i will get a cheap little s-10 to put the TPI motor in with this base.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 AM
Teching In

I think Scoggin-Dickey or someone like that carries the base/head combo for the Vortec heads. Or, you could always go the Corvette L98 aluminum head route as they are normally pretty decently priced and reduce the weight some on the front end and increase compression some.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

strano susupension and a nice set of wheels!! keep that OG paint job

Quick Reply: My 92 z28 (pics inside) what to do next?