Sponsored by:

Jaguars with LS1/LSx Power

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Jaguars with LS1/LSx Power

Hi all-

This is Andrew from Jaguar Specialties (www.JaguarSpecialties.com) and I thought you might find some of our latest projects interesting. Specifically that is LS1/LSx power for Jaguar 70-87 XJ6/XJ6C and all 76-92 XJS cars. Jaguars have been converted to Chevy power for years, but there are only a handful of LS powered cars running around, all very tediously (and expensively) hand built. We wanted to do the conversion so that any Jaguar owner with a reasonable budget could also do it, and not have it cost an arm and a leg. So now, after a lot of effort, we have running LS1 Jags to show the concept works and the overall cost has remained very realistic. As part of the development, 2 cars were built side by side- one is a 75 XJ6C (a 2 door coupe version of the XJ6L sedan), and the other an 89 XJS convertible. In the end, the fit of the LS1 packages in both cars is very good with adequate clearance all around. The initial test drives of the XJS surprised even me with the power and torque (and the likely power potential) of the LS1 (and this in a 3700lb car with a 2.88 rearend ratio). Keep in mind my daily driver is an 88 XJSC T-top powered by a 97 Camaro SS LT1 and 6 speed, so I know what good power feels like. Anyway, we're very happy with the conversions, and feel they were well worth the effort. All of the details and experience from these cars has been packaged into a new kit (parts and manual) to allow customers to do these conversions as well.

Here are a few pics of the two engine installs- the first one is the XJS at 95% completion, running and driving. The second photo is the XJSC at about 75%. In both you can see there is good clearance all around (and both cars use OE GM exhaust manifolds- not custom headers....). I expect the conversions to be very reliable as they use an overwhelming majority of standard GM parts, and a minimum of "custom" pieces. Have a look and see what you think...

and

Old 11-18-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to check out your site later, I just purchased an '85 XJS myself. No plans for any modifications at this point but you never know
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. A manual transmission Jaguar would be fun
Old 11-18-2008, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

post here much
Old 11-18-2008, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Default Did I miss something????

Did you have a question or ???

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 11-18-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 AM
Teching In

more pics of the XJS conversion please!
this is something I hope to do eventually
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Default LS1 XJS Pics

Thanks for checking out the post.

What you see there is really all there is to see. Aside from under the hood, the car itself looks stock . The interior remains as it was originally, all gauges work as original, as does the shifter. All of the accessory drive is stock GM- no compressor relocation or anything like that. And stock GM exhaust manifolds work as well- very simple and effective...

I've put a few miles on the car since that first post, and the conversion is great. The LS engine is so much more smooth and torquey than even the 97 LT1 I have in another XJS. Hard to believe.

The results of this project are now available in kit form for anyone in doing such a conversion. For more info, Email me.....
Old 12-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Very cool!

My mums old cruiser was a series 3 Daimler with a 6.2 Chev Diesel and T700 behind it. You can imagine how much nicer the wallet felt after not having to fuel up the v12!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Default XJS Ls1

Got a conversion going now 92 XJS Convertible 50000mi LS1 with 799 heads, ls6 intake, Pat G Spec'd cam, comp 918 springs/prods/retainers,etc. Using Andrew's kit. Anybody found any headers for this..using C5 manifolds per Andrew?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:51 AM
On The Tree

I have been looking for swap candidates and the 1968-79 xjs is something that has caught my eye.
  • What is the weight of these cars?
  • What stock manifold do you use?
  • Do you have a kit for the t56?
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Default Jaguar Swap Candidates

Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what we are talking about here- Jaguar made the XJS model (2 door coupe initially, and then coupe and convertible) from 1976 to 1996. The model they made starting in 1968 is the XJ6 (4 door sedan).

Probably the best thing to do to get familiar with the different cars is to to my website and see the Jaguar-LSx Gallery. There you can see a variety of the different models and also the LS conversions in them. Here is that link:

http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/LS-gallery.asp

Have a look and let me know what interests you.....

Thanks

Andrew
Old 05-06-2014, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the-jag-guy
Thanks for posting. I'm not sure what we are talking about here- Jaguar made the XJS model (2 door coupe initially, and then coupe and convertible) from 1976 to 1996. The model they made starting in 1968 is the XJ6 (4 door sedan).

Probably the best thing to do to get familiar with the different cars is to to my website and see the Jaguar-LSx Gallery. There you can see a variety of the different models and also the LS conversions in them. Here is that link:

http://www.jaguarspecialties.com/LS-gallery.asp

Have a look and let me know what interests you.....

Thanks

Andrew
Sorry. I mean the XJ6. I did go through your website and look through the gallery. I didn't find anything that mentioned the T56 tranny or the questions I asked. Please let me know if you can answer.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Default Jag- L1 and manual trans

Thanks for clearing that up.

We actually have worked with a few customers on T56 conversions (I actually have an LT1-T56 car here- my own). So it's pretty well understood.

For someone new to the models, there is a lot to know, so give a call any time and I can explain further- 408 839 5569

Thanks

Andrew
Old 01-13-2016, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up LSx / LS1 conversion kits for the S-Type?

Looking for information for a LSX swap kit for my 2000 3.0 S-Type. I know a lot of other S-Type owners that might be interested...
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Default S-type

Thanks for posting. We currently have no kit for the S-type and no plans really to develop one. There actually is very little call for this from Jaguar customers- I've received maybe 10 calls in 5 years on it

Just so you're clear, the challenge in doing this conversion is not mechanical- it is communication. These cars are CANBUS which means the dash cluster (and all other modules in the car) communicate with each other in software over a 2 wire network. When you remove the Jag engine and trans controller, another unit needs to replace them to translate GM engine data into Jag language. The gauges in the car are stepper motors controlled by the software in the cluster. For example, there is no coolant temp sensor directly linked to the coolant temp gauge- that info comes over the network from the engine controller. Similarly for the tach, etc.,. We developed a module and software for the XJ8 and XK8 and that took a year of working with a software consultant. But they are different than the S-type, and the Stype uses CAN code that is likely different from Ford or any other manufacturer. . There is no off-the-shelf unit to do this. It would be VERY EXPENSIVE to do on your own. Rewiring the car or going to aftermarket gauges would only partially work- all of the other systems are also tied into the CAN- AC system, body control module, etc.,. It would be a giant headache and believe me, after working on this for over 5 years I can tell you there are no easy solutions....

Trying to leave the original engine controller in place and fool it into thinking the original engine is there won't work either. We tried that and all you get is every warning message, light, and code on the cluster and a ton of other issues.

We had a fellow call a few years ago wanting to put an LS3/T56 into his Stype and had gotten pretty far- engine in, some issues solved, but could not find any one to (reasonably) solve the CAN issue. The project was dead....

If you really want a LS powered Jag sedan, go for a 98-03 XJ8 or XJR instead- they are a must better car than the S-type anyway and are very cheap. A really nice one, in broken form, is usually $1000 or less......

I hope that helps

Andrew
www.jaguarspecialties.com

Last edited by the-jag-guy; 01-14-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't you trick the computer by adding a second relict or and jag crank position sensor to the LS engine so the jag computer thinks it's engine is in place? And running?
Old 01-14-2016, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Default Not that simple....

The Jag ECM is looking for much more than just a crank signal. It is also looking for feedback from the throttle body (TPS and IAC), injectors, O2 sensors, and a host of other feedbacks. It is also looking for the correct info from the transmission controller, which also will not happen since none of the trans sensors (input and output speed sensors, among others, ) are there. And if the Jag ECM is not happy, neither is the rest of the car- nothing will work. There is no way to properly simulate all of those signals, correctly, at the same time

AS a side note, one of our early XK8 customers, who actually owns a software company, tried (before working with us) that (fool the Jag ECM) approach. After thousands of hours they gave up- there was no practical way to fool the Jag ECM. The Stype would be no different.....

Your best bet is to skip the S-type. Instead go for an XJ8 or XJR- much better car that will work properly with an LS.....

But if you think it really isn't that complicated, give it a try. I'd be interested to see if you find something different than I describe above.....

Good luck

Andrew

www.JaguarSpecialties.com
Old 01-14-2016, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, thread back from the dead! Listen to Andrew - he knows his stuff.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Going to need this...

http://www.intrepidcs.com/VehicleSpy/

Also, many aftermarket ecu like proEFI and the AEM Infinity are having to solve these CAN issues. My 996 turbo 911 has CAN gauges and proEFI handles them as does Infinity, the 997 is even worse and also handled. Check with the megasquirt guys and see what they're doing for CAN, if they're handling it that might be a path. I spent time listening to a lecture from the Vspy guys and they KNOW how to solve this problem, the figuring out of messages anyway. Finding an ecu that will produce them for you is harder and the MS guys being open source might make them most responsive. Rest assured though the issues IS being tackled on other platforms and guys doing "vehicle hacking" are also deep into it and producing tools...
Old 01-14-2016, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Resolving CAN

Absolutely check into that- we did as well. The Intrepid package to get up and looking at the CAN is about $5k. And that's just to get going- it takes 1-2 years to be proficient with it to actually deduce the messaging properly. BTW- that doesn't tell you anything except what the messages are.

Just like the gentleman above says, assuming you are able to deduce anything, you will then need some CAN interface unit (like what designed and use) to run the communication translation in the car itself. And the code itself also needs to be written

Note- there is no aftermarket company proficient on Jaguar CAN- their language is unique- there are no products to buy. I assure you of that- this is what we do all day, every day. We spent a year of time with a CAN consultant, on and off, at $150/hr solving the CAN communication for the XJ8 and XK8. Taking on the S-type would require the same sort of commitment.

I hope that helps

Andrew
www.JaguarSpecialties.com

Quick Reply: Jaguars with LS1/LSx Power