Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 t56

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C5 t56

I was wondering if it is possible to use the vette t56 w/ torque tube and mate it to a 12bolt with out the vette transaxle?

Can the trans be used without the vette rear end?

I have plent of space seeing as this might be going into my 64 c10 pick up. Just want to get more weight to the back. Any ideas on this. Also all the vette t56's around here are about a 1000 vs. the fbody t56 going for 1500-2000

So in theory I would have a LS with a vette trans/torque tube hooked to a gm 12bolt.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good theory, but not going to work.

This is what the C5 trans looks like:

Your only option would be to run the entire transaxle.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the pic. I have not seen the backside of a vette trans.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

What about fitting a custom torque tube setup to an fbody t56 then just mounting that assembly to the 12 bolt in back....

Can a torque tube be made to bolt to an f-body t56 with little trouble? the "bellhousings" look a bit different between the two transmissions. Also what is that rod sticking out above the input shaft on the vette trans?

Sorry for all the Q's just trying to think outside the box a little.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Your basic problem is this:

The vette t56 is designed to be rigidly mounted in the chassis, at the rear of the vehicle. So, you've got to do IRS, there's no good way to run a 12 bolt, unless you convert it to IRS (haven't seen that done).

'JustDreamin'
Old 05-19-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no way to run the 12 bolt with the Vette T56. Mounting the F body T56 on a tourque tube to move it backwards is almost as insane and not worth the trouble just to improve the weight distrubution. What I would do it to move the engine back as far as possible and move fuel tank under the rbed, I would also put the battery in the rear somewhere. I would also replace all the front sheet metal with fiberglass. This ought to shed a few pounds and improve weight distrubution.

Re'
Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I have moved the engine back 3 inches and down 1 already and put a fuel cell in the back along with the battery. I dont want the IRS thats why I was curious about this. It would be easy to mount the fbody trans closer to the rear end and run a small driveshaft to attach it to the 12bolt. Just the torque tube is the issue.

May seem like more work then benefit to move the trans further back on this app but I think it would be pretty cool and I have no problem doing the work.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

The probelm is that custom tourque tube is gonna cost a furtune, and it's not something that can be done half ***. If it's not dead nuts perfect the missalignment is gonna destroy the transmission. The other problem is that tube is gonna be heavy, nearly as heavy as the tranny it's self. So in order to get a very slight improvement in weight distrubution, you end up increasing the weight of an already heavy truck. You would also cause issues with the shifter. IMHO your truck with a LS1/T56 would already be cool without adding something nobody will ever see.

Re'
Old 05-21-2009, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the input guys. I guess this is just something Im going to have to pass up. I had no idea the torque tube would be so heavy. Ah well I guess I can't really get much better weight distribution than I already have.

Quick Reply: C5 t56