Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Pump and Box Interference

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump and Box Interference

I'm putting a 5.3 in my '98 Grand Cherokee and have hit a snag, the Chevy power steering pump and Jeep steering box want to occupy the same space.

I notched the passenger frame rail a bit for the A/C compressor but if I keep going that route I'll have to take a whole lot of the passenger frame rail out to get the clearance I need on the driver's side.

It looks like I need both a smaller diameter PS pulley and a remote reservoir pump unless I can come up with something else. I know I can move the A/C compressor using an S10 bracket but that's the course of last resort because I'm trying to retain that upper area for a second York A/C compressor for on board air. Are there factory remote reservoir pumps that would bolt in? Any other suggestions?
Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Launching!

As far as the P/S is concerned....you can get a different accessory bracket from Kwik Performance, it retains the truck water pump and alternator, and works with the truck crank pulley, but uses a smaller corvette style pump with a GM remote plastic resevoir I think the bracket is a couple hundred bucks, the pump and pulley are about a 100 total. Would probably work good though for you.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-pics.html
Old 07-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The stunningman
NICE thanks! Looks like I'm going to the junk yards on monday
Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 AM
Teching In

I notched the frame to make room for the A/C compressor and allow me to move the motor over a bit more.

I took off the pulley and after notching the frame I was able to get the steering box back in, but as far as I can tell there is no way to keep the power steering pump where it is. I can't throw down almost $300 for the Kwik bracket set so I found a bunch of photos of their setup and I'm going to mock them up in Solidworks tonight and use the CNC plasma at school on Monday to cut out the plates and make my own.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to get the motor back another 1/2 - 1" ??

In my 4.8 into G body swap I had to swap the ps pulley too.

Both pulleys are visible in my attached pics. Truck pulley on the left. Donor pulley is on the right, part numbers are readable. The donor pulley is off of a 3.1L v6 from a Grand Am. Them 3.1's were in about a quadzillion cars, so finding one shouldnt be too hard. The only thing is its gotta be pressed on further then the stock pulley to line up properly. When doing this be really careful, the shaft of the pump has a larger ID then my install tool so I had use a thick washer that had the correct hole size to get it to go on.

And if you are wondering, no those hole in the pulley DO NOT allow access to the pump mounting bolts in behind...that would work out too good. They did help me while sliding the pulley in place. When pressing the pulley on, the pulley and shaft have to not turn while your tool does. To keep the pulley from turning, I was able to get a ratchet extention thru the hole and wedge it somewhere.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering Pump and Box Interference-img_0327-2.jpg   Power Steering Pump and Box Interference-img_0334-2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
Is it possible to get the motor back another 1/2 - 1" ??

In my 4.8 into G body swap I had to swap the ps pulley too.

Both pulleys are visible in my attached pics. Truck pulley on the left. Donor pulley is on the right, part numbers are readable. The donor pulley is off of a 3.1L v6 from a Grand Am. Them 3.1's were in about a quadzillion cars, so finding one shouldnt be too hard. The only thing is its gotta be pressed on further then the stock pulley to line up properly. When doing this be really careful, the shaft of the pump has a larger ID then my install tool so I had use a thick washer that had the correct hole size to get it to go on.

And if you are wondering, no those hole in the pulley DO NOT allow access to the pump mounting bolts in behind...that would work out too good. They did help me while sliding the pulley in place. When pressing the pulley on, the pulley and shaft have to not turn while your tool does. To keep the pulley from turning, I was able to get a ratchet extention thru the hole and wedge it somewhere.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. That is as far back as it can go without major firewall surgery. I found a bunch of pictures of the Kwik brackets and I mocked up something similar in SolidWorks. I'm going to cut them out using my school's CNC plasma cutter tomorrow hopefully.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Mod the bracket and put a remote style pump in.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump and Box Interference