Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beading fuel hardline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Beading fuel hardline?

I need to shorten/cut one of the current fuel lines, in order to accommodate for the new Corvette fuel filter. However, that means the fresh cut lines will no longer have beads on the ends of the lines where they are cut.

Pipe beaders are expensive. Is there any sort of alternative to this, or another way of securing a fuel line hose to the hard line safely?

-Don
Old 07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Launching!

Seeif you can find a compression fitting to barbed adapter. that would take care of it!
Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either find somebody who has the tool to reflare the line or cut your piece out of the middle of the line and use a good compression fitting to put it back together. If its a short piece of line, you can send it me, I'll flare and send it back
Old 07-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe this:
Russel fitting (summit part number)
RUS-639210

Its just a compression fitting to AN adapter.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

If you were in my area, I have a tool that makes those beads. Or you can get a new piece from the parts house and flare/union it to your existing line. Or do what was mentioned above and cut a piece out of the middle and flare/union it together.

IMO, compression fittings are temp at best.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
If you were in my area, I have a tool that makes those beads. Or you can get a new piece from the parts house and flare/union it to your existing line. Or do what was mentioned above and cut a piece out of the middle and flare/union it together.

IMO, compression fittings are temp at best.

Personaly I wouldn't use compression fitting except as a last resort, but I recently bought a used corvette and all the brake lines had compression fittings on them and none of them leaked and they were on it for around 10 years
Old 07-22-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Compression fittings work as well or better than flare fittings. Once you torque them down the ring part gets embedded in the hardlne as if they are one piece. Try taking one apart sometime and see what I mean. The only way to get the flare part off is to cut the line. I have never had one leak.

You can use a standard brake flaring tool to put a bubble flair on the fuel line. That should do what you want.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

You can use a standard brake flaring tool to put a bubble flair on the fuel line. That should do what you want.

I was thinking about that, as I've read some people mentioning this, since the line is small enough. Has anyone else done this?

-Don
Old 07-22-2009, 06:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Nguyen
I was thinking about that, as I've read some people mentioning this, since the line is small enough. Has anyone else done this?

-Don
I've been doing it this way for years, it's just the first step in doing a double flare. I also use fuel injection hose clamps, the kind that are a strap with a small nut and bolt, rather than screw type hose clamps as they seem to work a little better.

Quick Reply: Beading fuel hardline?