Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX in a foxbody question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX in a foxbody question?

Hi fellas, I got a couple of questions on the swap. I am picking up my fox coupe tommorrow. I might be getting ahead of myself on alot of this stuff but I'm pretty excited about doing this. Never done anything like this but I am pretty sure between me, LS1tech and my brother I can do this. I am going with a 5.3, found one complete, PCM, starter, alt. Everything except for the harness. I am going to have the heads ported and put a health cam in it. My questions is mostly wiring. What is the best way to do this? Can I get a truck harness or should I put a LS1 intake, TB, and injectors and get a camaro harness? I am totally lost on the wiring part. Also I am trying to do this on a somewhat of a budget. I just dont want to give alot of money trying to get it wired.

thanks
Josh
Old 08-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try and get the info here off the sticky's and do it your self or have a buddy help. That is what I'm going to do. I'll make you a deal if mine works and I get done before you I'll do yours for free. I wouldn't mind getting good at it. Later
Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the 5.3 wiring harness (99-02) and the fuse box. Here is a great site that tells you just about everything you need to know.
http://www.lt1swap.com/underhoodfuseblock.htm

For wiring up the Ignition switch, the yellow wire is what feeds 12v to the ign. switch. The Red/Ltgreen wire is what is hot in run/start . You will need to know that when you start to fit your wiring harness and fuse box.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys, I'm going with a carb set-up at first and cause I can't wait to get it going.LOL. Then I'm going to start getting everything together. I got the intake,TB, mass air meter already. All I will have to get is the injectors, fuel rails and wire harness. I change my mind daily. I found a good deal on a 6.0 with the intake and carb set-up already.

thanks
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

i live in mid tn and have a swapped ls1 86 mustang.i wish i stayed with the carb setup i did first ran harder than the efi up top and only a 2mpg loss.but easier to turbo efi than a carb.use the programable msd carb box much better than the base kit
Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by burlst/a
i live in mid tn and have a swapped ls1 86 mustang.i wish i stayed with the carb setup i did first ran harder than the efi up top and only a 2mpg loss.but easier to turbo efi than a carb.use the programable msd carb box much better than the base kit
yeah I think I am going with a carb set-up cause I want to drag race it more than drive it. When you talk about the msd carb box are you talking about the msd 6LS? Thats the only one I know about that will work with the LSx motors. Also what headers did you run and did you have to use aftermarket a-arms with the AJE kmember? Maybe you and some others can guide me through this.

Thanks
Josh
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM
Staging Lane

i used 351 headers with ls1 flanges welded on.headers were bbk.i used a qai 4.6 litre k frame and 4.6 motor mounts.ls2 uses a 58x relucter wheel so order your carb kit accordingly
Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

go carb intake and msd 6ls box
Old 08-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by key4
yeah I think I am going with a carb set-up cause I want to drag race it more than drive it. When you talk about the msd carb box are you talking about the msd 6LS? Thats the only one I know about that will work with the LSx motors. Also what headers did you run and did you have to use aftermarket a-arms with the AJE kmember? Maybe you and some others can guide me through this.

Thanks
Josh
The factory A Arms will work with the aje, you just need the spring perches if you aren't running coilovers
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

cantfindusername are you 100% on that, Ive been wondering about this for some time and nobody can say for sure.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterMindMotorsport
cantfindusername are you 100% on that, Ive been wondering about this for some time and nobody can say for sure.
I think is true because another member here mentioned the same thing to me. He was using it in his Fox build.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got some new questions. I plan on using my stock a-arms and I just ordered my AJE k-member. My question, how is everybody doing there steering on the foxbodys? I know alot of people are using the flamming river rack and pinion but is there another way?

thanks
Josh
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Teching In

i have a aje and stock a arms. im using a power steering factory rack and bought a steering staft off ebay and it fit perfect with a little bend to the header. i bought a fitting for the ls1 power steering pump and one from mm for the factory ford rack to make everything 6an then made my own line. have not used it yet but it should work fine
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I have the aje spring perches and lowering springs cheep if wanted ? I just switched to tubular a-arm and coil overs.
Carb and front mount distributor for the win. All i did was jet it and time it and have not touched anything in two months i love it. If your thinking of buying the Kooks headers DON`T they suck.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Man thats a nice ride. Dang I just ordered my kmember and spring perches. How much was that distrubtor setup? Also what headers are you running and did you have to change to the tubular a-arms before they fit? Thanks man all this input helps. I just bought a 6.0L motor and eager to get started.

thanks
josh
Old 08-28-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68lemans
I have the aje spring perches and lowering springs cheep if wanted ? I just switched to tubular a-arm and coil overs.
Carb and front mount distributor for the win. All i did was jet it and time it and have not touched anything in two months i love it. If your thinking of buying the Kooks headers DON`T they suck.

what kind of cc plates are those?and what kind of problems do people have with kooks headers also....thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 12:12 AM
On The Tree

There UPR cc plates. It don`t matter witch a-arms you use. I bought the front mount distributor as a kit. It came with the ati dampner, front cover, water pump, alternater mount, belt tensinor, pulleys, and belt $1,000 and i still needed the buy the Ford distributor and alternator.
Kooks phucked up when they made the jig for the headers. It don`t matter witch trans cross member you have wheather it be a stock one or a AJE cross member you can`t use it. The headers dump right at the cross member so it was impossible to use the AJE trans cross member for my th350 so i had to have one made. Also the steering shaft that came with the flaming river manual rack hit the headers. I had to cut the steering colume shorter so that the top knuckle on the steering shaft ended up closer to the fire wall. Also on the passenger side i had to take and put a real big dent in them to clear something that i should not have had to. I geuss its better then spending $1,000 on having custom headers made maybe ? I did get lucky and on the Corvette forum one of the sponsors had a sale on Kooks headers and i got mine for $562 shipped.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterMindMotorsport
Yes, I'm 100% sure. That is the way my mustang is setup right now.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by key4
I got some new questions. I plan on using my stock a-arms and I just ordered my AJE k-member. My question, how is everybody doing there steering on the foxbodys? I know alot of people are using the flamming river rack and pinion but is there another way?

thanks
Josh
I have a LQ4 with truck accessories in my GT. I used the factory GM pump, and just mated the pressure line to the factory 5.0 pressure line. I also used the factory steering shaft since I'm on a budget. I used 351 headers, which created some clearance issues with the rag joint. I actually lengthened the shaft about an inch or so to move the joint out of the way.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by can'tfindausername
I have a LQ4 with truck accessories in my GT. I used the factory GM pump, and just mated the pressure line to the factory 5.0 pressure line. I also used the factory steering shaft since I'm on a budget. I used 351 headers, which created some clearance issues with the rag joint. I actually lengthened the shaft about an inch or so to move the joint out of the way.
I thought about getting some different a-arms and using the dyna-tech headers and going with a stiffer front spring. Dyna-tech says you have to use aftermarket a-arms. I would go with the 351 headers but I dont have a welder. I could get somebody to lengthen my steering shaft for me. I am going to get the coil over kit, flamming river, and other suspension stuff but right now my focus is just getting it going down the road. Its going to be mostly drag but still streetable. Could you post some pics of your set-up? I would like to see how you got everything

Quick Reply: LSX in a foxbody question?