Sponsored by:

(Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...

Guys,

I've got a BG 220HR system in my Maverick, and it really SUCKS! Actually, it doesn't suck at all, I can't get it to pull from my tank. Like every other car I've seen, the pump is higher than the sump's pickup (come on, how many cars have you seen with the pump's pickup lower than the sump). This has been really aggravating on the street, every time the fuel pump loses suction, it never recovers. Are there any pumps that will work mounted above the tank without losing suction?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

above the tank by how much? how is your vent setup? Maybe it's losing suction due to a vacuum in the tank...? Pop off the gas cap to verify
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i use an A1000, tucked up under my rear bumper, its near the top part of the tank, but i have a sump in the tank, so maybe it helps, but still has to lift a little, never had a problem with it
Attached Thumbnails (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-im001163.jpg  
Old 10-17-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have any kind of leak in the plumbing between the pick up and the pump, even inside the tank, it will be like trying to drink a soda through a straw with a crack. Make sure everything is tight.

I would also check the inlet of the pump to make sure it doesn't have any debris or junk in it. Try pulling the pump and back flushing it. What type of prepump filter do you have?

Pump doesn't have to be below the tank, but as low as possible helps a lot. This is especially true when the fuel gets hot. The pump can cavitate when that happens.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a Holley Black on my TA and haven't had an issue with it yet
Old 10-17-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some pumps don't have to be gravity fed, the BG's do...
Personally, I have never had a pump higher than my sump
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re:fuel pump

I'm using a regular old delco electric pump. It is mounted at intake height, which is way above the sump on my 911.

No problems to date.

Regards,
Ken
Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im using a bosch 044 pump on my car. It didnt appreciate pulling fuel up from the tank. I tried everything to make it work. I finally sumped it and it works perfect. Also the difference between summer and winter fuel makes a difference also. One will cavitate and aerate worse than the other. Cant remember which did it worse though. Be sure your filter isnt too tight too it should be 100 microns in front and 10 or 30 after.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

I cut an access panel into my sump today, welded in a baffle, and altered the return line a bit. I'm waiting on parts, including a block of foam to get it back together.

Originally Posted by xpndbl3
above the tank by how much? how is your vent setup? Maybe it's losing suction due to a vacuum in the tank...? Pop off the gas cap to verify
Not really above the tank, the pump's center-line is about even with the 3/4" full point. I've tried leaving the cap off (I have a vented cap and a tank vent), no difference either way...

Originally Posted by forcd ind
i use an A1000, tucked up under my rear bumper, its near the top part of the tank, but i have a sump in the tank, so maybe it helps, but still has to lift a little, never had a problem with it
That's good to know, in fact, my son has a new A1000 that he's offered to lend me if I can't get this figured out.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you have any kind of leak in the plumbing between the pick up and the pump, even inside the tank, it will be like trying to drink a soda through a straw with a crack. Make sure everything is tight.

I would also check the inlet of the pump to make sure it doesn't have any debris or junk in it. Try pulling the pump and back flushing it. What type of prepump filter do you have?

Pump doesn't have to be below the tank, but as low as possible helps a lot. This is especially true when the fuel gets hot. The pump can cavitate when that happens.

Yup, tight (car sets in a closed garage and we never smell any fuel).

I've had the pump apart a dozen times, it always looks fresh. I had a BG-5000 (5 micron) ahead of the pump as per BG's recommendation, but moved it to after the pump today. Bought a 100 micon prefilter that'll be here Wed.

By moving the filter I was able to lower the pump another 2 1/2" so it's center-line is now at the 1/3 tank level.

Originally Posted by Qwiknotch
some pumps don't have to be gravity fed, the BG's do...
Personally, I have never had a pump higher than my sump
I've looked at all kinds of install manuals on line and have never seen the phrase "self-priming" mentioned anywhere. Every manual I saw said the pump must be mounted below the sump. Do you know what brands for sure? Please post pix of your setup(s)! I've NEVER seen any sumped tank with a pump hanging below it.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This pic sucks because the angle is decieving. The pump is about 2" higher than the sump fitting. For the record, I really really didnt want to sump.
Attached Thumbnails (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-smsump.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by topher455
This pic sucks because the angle is decieving. The pump is about 2" higher than the sump fitting. For the record, I really really didnt want to sump.
That's about where my pump is in relation to the pickup, except I have my hose run up, over, and down as such:
Attached Thumbnails (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-smsumpa.jpg  
Old 10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible to reroute the hose like mine? Post a pic of your setup plz.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Is it possible to reroute the hose like mine? Post a pic of your setup plz.
This was it, since superseded with the pump mounted 2.5" lower, the BG filter moved to after the pump, and a 100 micron pre-filter ahead of the pump. No pix yet as the hoses and tank are still out.
Attached Thumbnails (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_0906s.jpg  
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is that your return going into the sump? That will cause you problems if it is.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Is that your return going into the sump? That will cause you problems if it is.
Elaborate, please? Originally, the return (-08) had a foot-long piece of 1/2" tubing (bent up at a 45°) welded inside the fitting. Here are some pix of my newly modded tank sump. I added a baffle to keep my fuel from sloshing forward under braking, cut down the return tubing and surrounded both ports with foam. I'm confident this will end my "sucking air" syndrome. Now we'll see how the pump pulls...
Attached Thumbnails (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_1230s.jpg   (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_1233s.jpg   (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_1235s.jpg   (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_1238s.jpg   (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...-100_1239s.jpg  

Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The foam will probably help but the return will aerate the fuel coming into the sump. Your old return setup may have caused you issues also since the restriction on the return will change if the return is submerged or not.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I can tell you this. I've pumped out the tank (using the fuel pump) 3x's so far by dumping the return line into a drum and I never get any aerated fuel, it's always a solid stream. BTW, this pump will dump 10 gals of fuel in less than 3 minutes. Time will tell, I'm off Monday but it's a 70% chance of rain. Hopefully I can get it back together.

On another note, while removing the fuel pump to mod the bracket, I noticed a pretty good rattlling noise. Come to find out, the vanes are short enough to make the noise, which may be why it won't pick up suction. I might try making my own vanes that are long enough to seal against the housing and cover plate...
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Glad to hear its working for you. Let us know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: (Carbed) Fuel Pump Problems...