Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Digital Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Aftermarket Digital Gauges

I bought a set of "Create a Dash" digital gauges by Intellitronix for my 04 Silverado. DID NOT DO MY HOMEWORK.

The following is an attempt to figure out exactly what each of the following sending units/sensors output - so as to properly adapt them to the new gauges. The connections for all are at the PCM and are connected to what I believe to be the primary for each. I got the pin outs from a post here.

1. Speedometer - Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems that the output from the VSS comes in two flavors - 4K pulses per mile or 129k pulses per mile. The new gauge operates in a range from 8k to 16k. Current solution is to buy a GPS speed unit that outputs 16k. Did I miss something?
2. Tach - I'm told that the new unit is looking for 5V Square something or other... What does the Engine speed sensor actually output? The new gauge is doing absolutely nothing.
3. Temp - This one came with a replacement sensor. (One wire type). I know that the factory sensor serves the gauge and the fan. Hoping to t-tap the gauge side and keep the all too important fan switch intact... same issue, what is the actual output at the sensor?
4. Oil - Issue is identical to temp. I have a new sending unit but I'm betting that the factory sensor serves more than one purpose and that the signal from the sensor may not be compatible...???
5. Fuel - The new fuel gauge has multiple setting that are based on resistance ranges. All of which were industry standards - at least until 1995. What is the output from the fuel gauge at the PCM??
Old 03-23-2017, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

What engine and ECU/PCM are you running?

Coolant temp has 2 available ports. Drivers side port is near the front of the head and the passenger is near the rear. You can use the available one for the gauge and keep the other for the ECU

The tach puts out pulses not a 5v curve. I believe its pulsed like a 4cyl 2 pulses per cycle. I can look that up for sure if i know what your donor engine is from

The oil pressure sensor can be taped into the oil filter housing. Oil is drawn from the pan, to the pump then through the filter so you will see oil pressure at the filter housing

fuel gauge - what is the donor vehicle? i can give you the range data for it.

If you need any other diagram info just let me know your donor engine's vehicle and also what the engine is in
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

FWIW I looked into their gauges as well for the Sorento when i swapped in the Ly6. I ended up with gauges from SpeedHut. Their fuel gauge made it wicked easy because it has the same ranges as Intelletronix but also a manual program/learn. Set it when its empty and set it when its full and it automatically figures out your range.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the quick responses.
No swap here. It's my 2004 Silverado with the 4.8. I only changed the gauges. Some of you may be familiar with the stepper motor fiasco. Ive been without speed, tach and temp for several years.
So, on the temp issue - there are two in use and therefore I can replace one or will I find an unused port?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

I will take a look at your diagrams and let you know. I am unfamiliar with the stepper motor issues.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Battkidd
No swap here. It's my 2004 Silverado with the 4.8. I only changed the gauges. Some of you may be familiar with the stepper motor fiasco. Ive been without speed, tach and temp for several years.
So, on the temp issue - there are two in use and therefore I can replace one or will I find an unused port?
for the temperature sender, there is one at the front of the driver side head that is connected to the PCM. Leave that one there.

At rear of the passenger head is a round plug with an internal hex for an allen wrench to fit into. It is on the same face as the exhaust manifold, just past the last exhaust port. This is a M12 threaded hole. Get an adapter if needed to screw in your sender for the gauges. The adapter would be something like this:
Amazon Amazon
Or this one:
Amazon Amazon

For the Oil Pressure, find this part: This one has been drilled a tapped for a sensor.
http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/d...1/71ff1a76.jpg

IF you cannot drill and tap yours, here is a replacement part for adding a sender:
Amazon Amazon
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1296_.jpg
Old 03-23-2017, 05:51 PM

Okay, temp and oil solved! Thank you aggie91 ! Speed will be GPS. Still need info on the fuel level sensor and after some research into an adaptor kit for LS1, it seems that the tach may need a 10K pull up resistor??

By the way, you guys are awesome. I've gotten more info today than I have in two weeks on my own.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know, you can buy the stepper motors and fix the stock gauges yourself, for about $50. Would have been much easier.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:42 AM

Default Perhaps...

Easier, yes. But not nearly as cool as a blue LED cluster. 😎
Old 03-24-2017, 04:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Easier, yes. But not nearly as cool as a blue LED cluster. 😎

Not if the gauges don't work...
Old 03-24-2017, 02:27 PM

Exactly. The replacement motors run the same risk of failure. I opted out of that option years ago.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:10 PM

UPDATE : 10K resistor is the fix for the tach. The engine speed sensor and its input to the computer is open collector and requires a 10K resister between +12v and the gauge input wire - to pull up the signal. Thanks to all who contributed to the conversation.

*********STILL NOT SURE WHAT TO DO ON THE FUEL GAUGE**************
THE FIRST TO SOLVE THIS ONE FOR ME GETS DINNER FOR TWO
(AT MCDONALDS) :-)
Old 07-13-2017, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Can someone clarify where to put the 10k resistor? I have a Summit Racing "SUM-g2981" and it reads 0000's all the time all the way across. Does the 10k resistor go inline with the signal wire from the ECM (Green 10) or does it go inline with the ignition 12v being supplied to the gauge. OR, do I run a second 12v wire spliced into the signal wire with the resistor in between?

Also, given that the ECM puts out 4cyl signal I cut the orange wire. Correct?

Gauge info below:
https://static.summitracing.com/glob...sum-g2981w.pdf

Engine, harness, and ECM are from an 03 Envoy. (5.3l LM4)

I tried talking to Summit Tech support and they are about worthless. Their advice was to try the tach on another car or I have a bad ECM....
Old 07-13-2017, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

your fuel sender is 40 ohms empty/250 ohms full. if the gauges are setup for 0-90 ohm units, you will need a converter such as this.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Digital Gauges