Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb'ed guys with sumped tanks and external fuel pumps...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Carb'ed guys with sumped tanks and external fuel pumps...

Hi All,

I've been "fighting the fight" for too long, it's time to junk my Barry Grant HR220 fuel pump and find one that will actually pull fuel from the tank.

I do realize that external pumps are NOT designed to pull fuel, but there are a lot of people with sumped tanks using electric fuel pumps mounted "incorrectly" and not having problems.

What is the pump of choice to use when the pump cannot be mounted below the sump outlet? I'm about tired of having to pressurize my fuel tank with air to force fuel into the pump for a prime, and I'm not about to get stranded somewhere without an air tank. I'm thinking a Holley Black, since I'll be keeping the BG return style regulator.

TIA!
Old 08-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a cell with a holley black for motor and a blue for the standalone for nitrous and i have a return style fuel regulator also. No complaints here
Old 08-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Teching In

I bought one of the magnafuel quickstar pumps and I love it. I went from a holley black that had been goin on 7 years. I went to the magnafuel since I needed more fuel for the new motor plus it's extremely quiet.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a $250 Mallory Comp 140 when I first did my swap. It was georotor pump. Chewed it up on tank debris a few weeks after gettting it running. I now have an $85 Summit pump. Bought the summit store brand cause it looks just like the Holley's and Trick Fuel pumps. My guess is they all come off the same boat from China. It is a rotary vane pump. Gets the job done just fine. At 140 gph it is way more than my car needs. It is also pretty loud the way I have it installed.

I do have the pump part level with the bottom of the tank. But the fuel inlet loops up and goes into the tank from the top. I have never had a problem with either pump priming.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a summped 69 camaro tank with an edelbrock 120gph street pump mounted at about sump level. no issues so far but i havnt beat on the car yet.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badcoup
I bought one of the magnafuel quickstar pumps and I love it. I went from a holley black that had been goin on 7 years. I went to the magnafuel since I needed more fuel for the new motor plus it's extremely quiet.
Another vote for Magnafuel. It's money well spent in the long run.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Junkie

How the h*ll are ya'll getting the pump as low or lower than than the sump? If I did that, my pump would be dragging the ground! I've talked to several locals about this and they all run Holley blue pumps mounted above the tank (where it has to suck) with no problems. I think the BG pumps don't suck well because they use steel blades in a hard anodized aluminum case (there's no ability for the blades to "wear in" and resolve small imperfections) which allows some amount of air through these imperfectly matched surfaces. Holley black ordered today!
Old 08-27-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A1000
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Whoo-hoo! Put the Holley pump in, turned the key and got instant fuel pressure with no d!cking around. Anybody want a deal on a BG-220HR pump minus regulator?

Quick Reply: Carb'ed guys with sumped tanks and external fuel pumps...