Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)

We've been trying to find the right car to use to mock-up our NEW conversion kit on, well today we found one. The customer dropped it off a few minutes ago, the car is in real good condition. We've been working on building a kit that will cover all fo the Chevy 2s and not require the customer to go out and source a pair of factory V8 frame brackets, so as we get it mocked-up we'll post pictures. Hedman Hedders will be building the headers as soon as we get done with the kit.
Jeff
Old 09-14-2010, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

CBR does lots of this stuff with some Bad *** headers...

http://www.churchboysracing.com/
Old 09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I e-mailed my Dad about this and he is stoked. Has plans to put a 6.0L in a '64 Nova wagon and possibly a '62 convert. Have you visited www.stevesnovasite.com?

Keep us posted?
Old 09-15-2010, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wtf.suv
they are ridiculously priced and require their rack and pinion setup for them to work... if i wanted to drop that much $$$ i would buy a front clip it would be very close in price once that's all added up. that's my opinion anyway..

If someone comes out with a set that are reasonably priced and work with the stock clip and steering box i will buy them, if not i will build my own
One can respect the thought of a cheap price for custom components. If you compare the price of a good set of Gen 1 small block headers our LS conversion headers are in the ball park. Considering that our LS headers are 100% stainless, tig welded and come with the proper engine mount adapter plate they are not all that unreasonable. Anyone can build a set of headers on their own, it has been done by a lot of Nova people with good results. Ask them if they are willing to sell them for 300$ and they will laugh at you.

Our headers not only work with the stock front end and, Yes, our rack and pinion but, with the bolt on front clips as well. Port spacing and the gear box made it very tricky to try and make a set of headers work for both applications, rack and stock steering. Believe me we attempted to accommodate both systems. We insisted on using an 1-3/4" primary tubing along with clean aesthetics. For a customer with the rack or bolt on front clip the header tubes would have looked completely out of place being snaked all over for no apparent reason.

For comparison sakes here is the price from Summit for a very good set of Gen1 small block headers that actually fit.

Hooker Headers 2243-1HKR - Hooker Super Competition Headers
View Image and Compare

* Hooker Headers 2243-1HKR - Hooker Super Competition Headers
* Compare

Headers, Super Competition, Full-Length, Steel, Ceramic Coated, Chevy, Chevy II, Nova, Small Block

Part Number: HOK-2243-1HKR More Detail …

Estimated Ship Date: Today
Transaction

* $749.95

Now when it comes to fitment, our headers fit as good as they look and are made here in the USA. BRP will make a very nice set up as they have been doing this for many other applications, just don't expect good quality products to be given away.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM
FormerVendor

When we started designing how we wanted this kit to bolt-in we looked at quite a few factors, there were already kits offered that could use the adapter plates and the V8 mounts and there are quite a few aftermarket front clips available, we decided to build this kit around the factory front clip and make it so that it will bolt-in without the factory V8 mounts. Another important part of our kit is compatibility with the factory steering, power brakes and at least one factory oil pan. We will make sure that our kit has the correct driveline angle and good fitment.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

You pay for what your get, the CBR stuff is ALL made in the USA and is supperior in quality. Ive seen the other stuff and especially headman headers are cheap china crap.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by h8tulooze
You pay for what your get, the CBR stuff is ALL made in the USA and is supperior in quality. Ive seen the other stuff and especially headman headers are cheap china crap.
Watch out bro, you're gonna start a flame war like I did, with that "superior quality" stuff.........LOL....next thing you will need is a spread sheet to back it up......

CBR provides good quality parts, hand made, one at a time. If you think the cost is too high, you probably have the wrong hobby. Quality is not cheap........

T,
Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALWAYS WANTED a nova... 67 or 70 personally but in the F body world lotta things aint cheap and quality is one of em...however..before anybody bitches abotu how much it costs..consider the hobby you are in..what you get for your money..how long it needs to last you..be thankfull that there ARE aftermarket companys out there who share your passion and make something for your particular car...and lastly if all you are going to do is bitch about it...then go ahead and make a suprior product and do it cheaper..
Old 09-15-2010, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Default Wow

Originally Posted by wtf.suv
I didn't say it wasn't nice quality stuff but $1000 for headers that require me to run their rack setup for another $2000 is a bit pricey when all i need is a set of headers... way too many church boys nut swingers on steves and i see they are migrating here as well, not everyone wants to run their setup so why does every thread about other company's making products for chevy ii need to turn into another everyone buy chucks overpriced stuff thread

sorry for your thread getting hijacked BRPhotrods. I look forward to seeing what you will be offering for chevy ii's, the more options the better IMO
Yeah doesnt make much sense to buy a set of hand made USA headers you cant use with a stock front clip.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
When we started designing how we wanted this kit to bolt-in we looked at quite a few factors, there were already kits offered that could use the adapter plates and the V8 mounts and there are quite a few aftermarket front clips available, we decided to build this kit around the factory front clip and make it so that it will bolt-in without the factory V8 mounts. Another important part of our kit is compatibility with the factory steering, power brakes and at least one factory oil pan. We will make sure that our kit has the correct driveline angle and good fitment.
So let me ask a few questions. You say you are going to use your own plates and mounts....

Is this going to keep the engine in the stock location, like current mounts do?

If I wanted to use standard mounts and adapter plates, are your headers going to fit with them?

Will your headers clear 4 speed, and\or column shift linkage, and stock steering?

What one pan...GTO front sump only, or what cause that's the only stock pan that will work with stock steering that I have seen?

What price range are we talking about?

If GTO is the one pan, can I use your headers with a CBR rack and pinion, or is this question answered in question #1?.....

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty proprietary kit, unless you can answer yes to the first three questions.

This kit has been promised for close to a year, and hasn't shown up yet, so let's see how these questions get answered, and then you can get your cheap headers, if they'll work without buying their whole kit.....right now, to get their kit to work on a 3rd gen x-body, is about 1500 bucks...cheap enough for ya?...go look at their website.....

Oh and wtf.suv, grow up, you don't have to get butt hurt and start name calling just because somebody already makes good **** that works. I don't know who's been blowing smoke up your ***, but the CBR kit is no where near 2 grand, I did mine for under a grand, if you are smart about it.....

Signed,
Loyal CBR Nuthugger.....
Old 09-15-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stangs4sale
Yeah doesnt make much sense to buy a set of hand made USA headers you cant use with a stock front clip.
Umm Chad, Chadster, Chaddington......the headers will work in a stock clip, just not with stock steering.....but then again, what is stock about an LS motor in this car anyway...LOL...

T,
Old 09-15-2010, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Just another nut swinger here, I am in the middle of a 62 nova wagon build for my wife, carbed 5.3 and 700r4, I like most car builders am looking for the best bang for the buck, but what is quality and customer service worth. I've been building cars ever sense high school and I may sound bias but I have never met anyone like the Church boy's, My hot rods are American made and I want American parts on them. Chuck listens to his customers and wants to build the best possible product for them (what the f is wrong with that) they are not cheap but like the old saying goes you get what you pay forsorry to jump in this thread, I guess I'll take my swinging ***** back over to Steve's

Last edited by voodooII; 09-15-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

im F-IN STOKED!!!! sign my *** up for a set of headers.

the mounts i have factory v8 mounts if you could find a way to make it so your gen 1 mounts bolted right to the adapter plates that would kick ***. seeing as i use solid mounts.

:to the kits
Old 09-16-2010, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

I think the difference is the kids want cheap parts just to bolt on and not know the purpose or function. The old classic car builders know the facts and like to do the job once the right way, not 2-3 times.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TomM
So let me ask a few questions. You say you are going to use your own plates and mounts....
Is this going to keep the engine in the stock location, like current mounts do?
Probably not, the design we are working is close to the same location, but not exact. When we setup our mounts we don't build them around other mounts, simply because that is not the most important factor to us. The motor will be placed where it has the correct geometry and the best clearance. sometimes we have to lower the engine or move it forward so that we can obtain the correct geometry.

If I wanted to use standard mounts and adapter plates, are your headers going to fit with them?
They might, I'll more once we finalize the location of the engine. That is the main reason we are trying to stay close the the location, but I stated before the most important factor in the placement of the engine is the correct geometry.

Will your headers clear 4 speed, and\or column shift linkage, and stock steering?
Initially we will setup the kit using a 4L60E/4L65E and a T-56, we don not build it around the factory column shift, all of our footnotes state "does not work with factory column shift without modifications" we have modified the column shift to work in some applications. It will fit with stock steering.

What one pan...GTO front sump only, or what cause that's the only stock pan that will work with stock steering that I have seen?
They GTO pan is the pan we are working with, but after we get the location settled we'll try other pans if it looks like any of them will fit.

What price range are we talking about?
The price will be determined once we finalize how many parts we have to design and build for it, how much time it takes to build the parts once we have the jigs built and how much of a market there is for it. With that said we work hard to keep the price in the $479 to $499 for the conversion kit.

If GTO is the one pan, can I use your headers with a CBR rack and pinion, or is this question answered in question #1?.....
I don't know, if they want to send us a rack to try it with we'd be glad to test-fit it and see.

Sounds like it's going to be a pretty proprietary kit, unless you can answer yes to the first three questions.
Realistically our kits do tend to be proprietary simply because we don't build them around a certain location, we build them around the correct driveline geometry.

This kit has been promised for close to a year, and hasn't shown up yet, so let's see how these questions get answered, and then you can get your cheap headers, if they'll work without buying their whole kit.....right now, to get their kit to work on a 3rd gen x-body, is about 1500 bucks...cheap enough for ya?...go look at their website.....

Oh and wtf.suv, grow up, you don't have to get butt hurt and start name calling just because somebody already makes good **** that works. I don't know who's been blowing smoke up your ***, but the CBR kit is no where near 2 grand, I did mine for under a grand, if you are smart about it.....

Signed,
Loyal CBR Nuthugger.....
Yeah, ever since I started here (about a year ago) we've been trying to get a good car to use for mock-up. I hate that we've been promising it and not being able to actually build it. We started working on it using a front clip we have from a previous project, but we couldn't finalize any of it until we had a actual car to build it on. We never said that the CBR stuff is lacking in any way, we build our kits to work with all of the stock accesories/components whenever possible.

Last edited by BRPhotrods; 09-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by voodooII
Just another nut swinger here, I am in the middle of a 62 nova wagon build for my wife, carbed 5.3 and 700r4, I like most car builders am looking for the best bang for the buck, but what is quality and customer service worth. I've been building cars ever sense high school and I may sound bias but I have never met anyone like the Church boy's, My hot rods are American made and I want American parts on them. Chuck listens to his customers and wants to build the best possible product for them (what the f is wrong with that) they are not cheap but like the old saying goes you get what you pay forsorry to jump in this thread, I guess I'll take my swinging ***** back over to Steve's
All of our parts are built in the USA using USA materials. Our headers are all built by Husler Hedders (in Alpharetta, GA), this is the race division of Hedman Hedders. All of our kit components are are made and assembled here in the USA.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Probably not, the design we are working is close to the same location, but not exact. When we setup our mounts we don't build them around other mounts, simply because that is not the most important factor to us. The motor will be placed where it has the correct geometry and the best clearance. sometimes we have to lower the engine or move it forward so that we can obtain the correct geometry.

They might, I'll more once we finalize the location of the engine. That is the main reason we are trying to stay close the the location, but I stated before the most important factor in the placement of the engine is the correct geometry.

Initially we will setup the kit using a 4L60E/4L65E and a T-56, we don not build it around the factory column shift, all of our footnotes state "does not work with factory column shift without modifications" we have modified the column shift to work in some applications. It will fit with stock steering.

They GTO pan is the pan we are working with, but after we get the location settled we'll try other pans if it looks like any of them will fit.

The price will be determined once we finalize how many parts we have to design and build for it, how much time it takes to build the parts once we have the jigs built and how much of a market there is for it. With that said we work hard to keep the price in the $479 to $499 for the conversion kit.

I don't know, if they want to send us a rack to try it with we'd be glad to test-fit it and see.

Realistically our kits do tend to be proprietary simply because we don't build them around a certain location, we build them around the correct driveline geometry.

Yeah, ever since I started here (about a year ago) we've been trying to get a good car to use for mock-up. I hate that we've been promising it and not being able to actually build it. We started working on it using a front clip we have from a previous project, but we couldn't finalize any of it until we had a actual car to build it on. We never said that the CBR stuff is lacking in any way, we build our kits to work with all of the stock accesories/components whenever possible.
Great, thanks for the answers.

Few more questions, will the 479-499 price range include the headers, as in a turn key swap package, or will they be additional?

If headers are additional, what do you anticipate the out the door price to be?

Will this kit include a crossmember, since you may be moving location?

Will the location accomodate the low mount stock A/C compressor?

Just to clarify, I never said your products were inferior, and never will, don't believe in vendor bashing...poor form and immature ......

The reference to CBR was merely stating that he has walked the path you are on now. I have spent more than a few hours with Chuck on the phone, tape measure in hand, taking notes and discussing the very things mentioned here. I think you are going to find it is very problematic to please everyone in their swap configurations which is exactly where Church was when he R&D'd the headers. He had the steering design and ran with it and worked the headers in. Yeah in crossthreaded a lot of people, still does, too expensive, proprietary system, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum....sour grapes if you ask me....but he did it his way....just like you are doing....not much difference IMO........

Give Chuck a call, he is a pretty forward thinking guy, and a super human being, he just might be interested in a BRP/Church Boys joint venture, wouldn't hurt to ask.......I think it would be a great thing, and yet another option for the forgotten Chevy II owners......

Good luck on the conversion, and please keep us posted. Put up some eye candy, everybody likes pictures of car parts....

T,

Last edited by TomM; 09-16-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM
Teching In

All of our parts are built in the USA using USA materials. Our headers are all built by Husler Hedders (in Alpharetta, GA), this is the race division of Hedman Hedders. All of our kit components are are made and assembled here in the USA.
Just to clarify, I was suggesting that your product wasn't made here, but glad to here it is
Old 09-16-2010, 11:41 AM
FormerVendor

Great, thanks for the answers.

Few more questions, will the 479-499 price range include the headers, as in a turn key swap package, or will they be additional?

If headers are additional, what do you anticipate the out the door price to be?
The $479-$499 price is for the mounts & crossmember kit, the headers will start at $499 for the mid-length and the long tubes will start at $669. All of our headers come with a silver "true" ceramic coating, we had a meeting at Husler Tuesday when we got back from the LS Fest and he said that all fo our headers will be available in the NEW black ceramic coating as a special order.

Will this kit include a crossmember, since you may be moving location?
Yes, the conversion kit will include a new crossmember and polyurethane transmission mount.

Will the location accomodate the low mount stock A/C compressor?
That is something I just don't know yet, after we finish the mock-up we test fit as many factory accesory drive systems as possible. Then we note which accessory drive systems fit in our installation guide, if something fits with a slight modification we try to note that also.

Just to clarify, I never said your products were inferior, and never will, don't believe in vendor bashing...poor form and immature ......

The reference to CBR was merely stating that he has walked the path you are on now. I have spent more than a few hours with Chuck on the phone, tape measure in hand, taking notes and discussing the very things mentioned here. I think you are going to find it is very problematic to please everyone in their swap configurations which is exactly where Church was when he R&D'd the headers. He had the steering design and ran with it and worked the headers in. Yeah in crossthreaded a lot of people, still does, too expensive, proprietary system, blah, blah, blah, ad nauseum....sour grapes if you ask me....but he did it his way....just like you are doing....not much difference IMO........

Give Chuck a call, he is a pretty forward thinking guy, and a super human being, he just might be interested in a BRP/Church Boys joint venture, wouldn't hurt to ask.......I think it would be a great thing, and yet another option for the forgotten Chevy II owners......

Good luck on the conversion, and please keep us posted. Put up some eye candy, everybody likes pictures of car parts....

T,
I'll give him a call to see if he'd be willing to let us test fit his rack system with our mounts and headers. As soon as we can ge the prototype brackets cut and in the car we'll post some pics, we're really looking forward to building this kit we've sat down and looked at a lot of different options for engine mounts and I think it'll be a great kit.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by voodooII
Just to clarify, I was suggesting that your product wasn't made here, but glad to here it is
That is something that is very important to us, we're glad to see it is important to other's as well.

Quick Reply: 62-67 Chevy 2 Kits (Starting Mock-Up)