Sponsored by:

The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata

Greetings, all!

A few of you may know me or my current car, the Yellow Submarine.. but most of you probably have no clue who I am tho. So, to start off my swap thread, here's the brief history of me:

Bought a 96 TA convertible in January of 97.. Met Debbler & Frez from CZ28, Patman and many many others here and via the m-f-body mailing lists. Attended the first M.E.N.D., a national F-body in Nashville and Milan Mania (M2), MidMichigan Mania (M3/M4 and I think M5 - little fuzzy on that one!) and met many wonderful folks.

[The black TA convertible in the center, from the M3 event.]

My first taste of a V8 musclecar + driving topless. A4, 3.23 gears, it was nice. Best run 13.89 @ 102 the weekend I got rid of it. Owned it until I was paying a small fortune in insurance (speeding tickets, oops!), and traded it in fall of 98 for a 99 Saturn SC2. [not photo worthy!] Small and nimble (but not fast!) and drove my first HPDE road courses with that car, and even toyed with nitrous on it (unsuccessfully thanks to poor engineering by Venom, but hey, it was fun!). Drove it hard for 60k miles, and two motors (one my fault, one Saturns). Sold that car and drove to Virginia to buy a 205rwhp 97 Miata with a small turbo.

Still small, nimble *and* now quick: 13.56 @ 104. Drove it for a few years until it's untimely demise at the hands of an illegal left-turning minivan. Loved that car, modded it and played with it and generally found what I was looking for: Small, nimble, quick, cheap to maintain and a convertible.

But with it gone, I needed a replacement. Enter: Yellow Submarine.

A 92 Sunburst Yellow Miata, #331 of 1513. 4 Page spread ("Bold Yeller") SportCompactCar May of 2000.

200+ HP out of a built 1.6, and nicely done by Bill Clifford back in the days before mass-produced Miata turbo kits. Tons of Flyin' Miata parts (Dealer Alternative actually, before FM was FM). A month later, it was under 15 feet of water in an underground parking garage thanks to mother nature and Hurricane Allison in Houston, TX. The car was totaled, and purchased by Bill Cardell, owner of Flyin' Miata. Eventually it was sold to Ken Hill, FM's lead tech, who lovingly restored it to the former glory of it's SCC spread. The Yellow Submarine was born again, from the watery grave. I purchased it in July of 2003 with around 66k on the clock and a month later flew out to Grand Junction and drove it home 20 hours straight. 7 summers later I have put on 65k miles and numerous HPDEs. Rock solid reliable 225rwhp out of a built motor, just as quick as the 97 running a 13.65 @ 104. The car has been a joy to own and drive and the Miata people I have met over the years are wonderful too. I've put tons and tons of time into this car making it everything I want.. Gauges, Stereo, Interior, Lights, Gadgets. (of course that is NEVER done but it's close,.. er... a little, anyhow!) It's fun, affordable, and quick enough to have a good time with.

But it doesn't have the magic rumble of 8 pistons.

So, Summer/Fall of '08 I started collecting things to build a Monster Miata. Bought 2 more Miatas (one junker to test cut and one with a 'bad crank' that turned out to be a missing pulley key), a crashed 89 GT Stang, another 5.0 motor with the GT40 heads, 7.5" IRS center section from a T-Bird, and was days away from stripping the car in prep for cutting when I ran into a guy with a FB RX7 and a 302. After a 5 minute conversation, I radically changed plans once I saw how easy they were to build. Sold all the cars and parts (except that 7.5", never know when you might need one of those!) for a tidy profit and bought a few other things. Eventually a total of 3 FC RX7s (one witht he V8 kit and all the custom pieces for $550, ha!), a 95 Buick Roadmaster LT1, a 94 T56.. and in 28 days of actual work (in a garage with hand tools, a flux core MIG and jackstands) had a running, driving 87 Turbo II car with a stock B-Bod LT1. Motor went in exactly as removed, didn't even clean it. No major cleanup, everything required to "get it running". Not a hack tho, for the limited time involved it turned out respectable, I think.

Total build cost pre-suspension/rims/tires was around $3500, and that is everything.. car, motor, tranny, kit, radiator, all of it running and driving.

Enjoyed for a year, but one thing was missing.. or rather was NOT missing. The roof.

Kept shopping for a convertible all summer, finally found one in October. All black 91, stored inside for 5 years with no motor or tranny.. everything intact. Perfect! Winter of '09, built my first motor, a 355 LT1 (bought as a blown headgasket motor out of a an Impala SS for $80!). Did a cc467 cam, port/polish heads, MSD 6AL and Opti, 1.6RR, Manley springs, big TB, the whole ball of wax. Complete engine wire tuck.. it's sexy.

(that motor is fully wired in those photos, believe it or not!!)

Haven't dyno'd, but guess it's 350-400 rwhp based on the parts used. Put it into the 91 FC convertible, and racked up 7k miles on it this year. Lumpy and Loud, obnoxious, topless fun. HPDEd it, but no drag times yet. Hope for a sub 12sec next year but that may be optimistic.

But it was missing something too, or rather NOT missing something. Namely 700 pounds or so. Weighs in at 3150 wet without driver, compared to the 2480 of the Miata. And those pounds are noticeable when you drive the two cars back to back.

So, what to do?

I toyed with the idea of a kit Cobra but the idea of no soft top doesn't appeal to me as it does rain here in Michigan and I do drive the car daily from March to November (as long as it isn't snowing too much!). It was 38 the other day and the top was down. Yes, I am not quite right in the melon, but who is that does motor swaps? So, no Cobra for me.

Next best option? Take a perfectly wonderful sports car, and stuff a silly huge motor into it.. Sports car I have, check. Motor.. ummm... how about.. a 2006 GTO LS2/T56 combo with 13k miles on it? That should do it!

So that's the plan. My first FC build (28 days, $3500 or so budget) was well documented on V8RX7Forum which has gone belly up due to owner-panty-bunching, so I didn't do a build diary on my second build (3.5 months, probably $10k budget). This time, I hope to do another build thread because I realize that is a huge motivator when your peers get on board and encourage you, it is a source of great collaboration and help, and I am happy when something I have done ultimately benefits the next poor soul that takes on a motor swap like this one (because let's face it, we need all the help we can get some days!)

So to those of you that lasted this long, thanks! More to follow as things progress. Powerplant should be here in 2 weeks or so, and the Sub goes into drydock by December (still driving it!). Perhaps long winded but it's nice to be a 'real person' and actually toss some history out there for you guys. Some of the 'old timers' from the Michigan area back in the late 90's still lurk, and would love to catch back up with you guys. Looking forward to this build, very very excited!!!

Wallyman
Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default The Overall Plan

The car – 92 Sunburst Yellow Mazda Miata, the Yellow Submarine.

The motor - 2006 GTO LS2/T56 combo, only 13k miles. No pictures yet, but bought and paid for (ebay from a yard in Oklahoma). $5500 + $275 shipping from OK to MI. Felt good to me considering LS1 setups are going $4500+ (with 70k+ miles), and most LS2 are going $6500+ with 30-50k miles. Gets me more displacement, the shorter front dress of the LS2 (at least I think so!), plus 50 more hp to start. Plus, LS2>LS1 and 6.0>5.7 for bragging rights (and LS3 was too much money, but that woulda been sweet!!). Complete pullout, all belt driven accessories, as much gas line and clutch line as he can get, clutch master setup and DBW gas pedal. Hopefully 99% of the parts if not all of them.

Planned engine mods - CAI dumping into a wheel well (research item, have seen it done just need to sort it out), headers & dual 2.5" with cats, maybe !SMOG/!EGR (research item – did this on the LT1 and was happy with it), maybe a moderate cam while it is out (really want 400+ rwhp). Trying to avoid the slippery slope of cam->springs->pushrod->new intake->fuel rail->injectors->head work… etc etc. But I think if I do a cam, well…. Dunno. Discussion item for the thread, I guess.

The kit – V8R rearward with a Getrag diffy. After reading swaptastic and other posts regarding the various kits, I’ve opted for a rearward setup (no weird steering geometry for me, thank you), and the V8R setup looks good to me. I could reuse the Ford 7.5” I have using a Monster Miata rear cradle, but want to do a full clean install so the Getrag gets the nod. Goal is a 400-450rwhp car, daily driven, street romped and HPDEd a few times a year. Tentative plan is to send a pile of $$ to Flyin Miata to get it going:

V8R front and rear kit via FM
FM Getrag G3 setup with 3.42 or 3.73 gears
FM full exhaust (Looked at Sanderson headers and cutom but they aren't the best option I don't think, and no custom headers for me, well beyond my skills right now)
Clutch hydraulic kit (may piece this together, did that for the FC swap and it wasn't a big deal)
FM Radiator and upgraded fans (Have the FM race rad now but have heat issues on track with a turbo, so think a new setup is in order)
Oil Pan (remote filter option - have an oil cooler I am going to reuse or may use one of the monster FC stockers I have laying around)

I learned from the FC builds there are things to fab yourself, and there are things to just pay to get. I hope to learn from my former "I can save money on that $20 part/that cost me 3 weeks to get fixed" things and just do it right where I can. That said, there are still plenty of places to save money, and I am certainly open to suggestions of those that have come before me! I expect this build to clock in around $15k, but hey.. that's some serious performance for the money. I figured for that sort of investment, I won’t be finding a better alternative, and I love the car I already have with 7 years of mods and tweaks, and I know it inside and out.

So, research is heavily under way, and I have spent hours reading build logs here and over at swaptastic (Nicely done Nathan! If the price was lower, I would be writing you a check for your car instead of building one.. well worth every penny you are asking, though!). I am sure as it gets under way with the tools, questions will flow.

Wallyman
Old 11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Damn now that is a post--or two!

-Mike
Old 11-03-2010, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Great read,good luck with the project.

BTW I was at a few M events M5 M7 M8 and SLP Day at Milan in 2001.

I had a Dark Polo Green 94 TA WS6 Clone then.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Damn now that is a post--or two!

-Mike
Hey, I got lots to say, that's all. We gotta get together sometime... may be your last chance to still be faster than the Sub..

Project Update:
Payment cleared today, will give them a call tomorrow to figure out shipping.. woot!

Wallyman
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transamtom
Great read,good luck with the project.

BTW I was at a few M events M5 M7 M8 and SLP Day at Milan in 2001.

I had a Dark Polo Green 94 TA WS6 Clone then.
Thanks! It's going to be a fun one. Had a guy come today and eyeball the old RX7 shell, would be nice to see that gone (and take some of the parts in the garage with it!).

Can't say as I recall the car, but that was many miles and burnouts ago.. my memory just isn't that good!

Wallyman

Last edited by Wallyman; 11-04-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What application are those headers for? I'm looking for a set for my LT1 Volvo 240 and those look like they might work.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Awesome plans and lengthy history on your projects! lol

I was able to keep my LS1FC at 2600 lbs ('87 Sport) and I hadnt really begun to lighten it either, so there was room for improvement, I know Rx-Ben had his to 2550 even with a tripoint widebody setup. I like the FCs for how much rear tire you can fit on them and they are a great size for safety and performance I guess.

But I understand the undeniable weight redux you gain when starting with a Miata, theyre just amazingly small and light. I just never loved how short a wheel base they had for high speed LS1 schenanegans and how teeny&topless they are for safety during HPDE, etc.

Should be one hell of a crazy beast of a car when youre done, right on with finding ways to cut costs, I sure learned a lot during my FC build. I'd love a basic bare bones 5.3 LS1 T56 Miata for fun!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cadsmobile
What application are those headers for? I'm looking for a set for my LT1 Volvo 240 and those look like they might work.
I believe they are Hedman for a LT1->Jeep swap. They came in a parts car so I don't know the true origin. Well, I USED to know it, it was on V8RX7Forum but.. whatever. But check Hedman for a Jeep swap, I think they will be it. I think (don't quote me) 69640s.

http://replacementautoparts.guidesto...dr-wrang-86-95

Those look right.

{edit} fairly certain that is them. I have more photos of them on the engine stand if that would help? Went with a 95 Vette starter which helps get it away from them, plus it was cheaper than a replacement b-body one, go figure. Gear reduction, cheaper, and smaller.. no brainer!

Wallyman
Old 11-04-2010, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Money made it, now to get the motor!

Confirmed payment received today (the joy of echecks via paypaL.. not the fastest), hope to talk to the shipping person tomorrow.

Oil Pan research underway.. no other 'real' progress yet other than had a guy look at the old Rx7 shell, which would be nice to sell to make space and put a little bank into the swap-fund.

Wallyman

Last edited by Wallyman; 11-04-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Wallyman
I believe they are Hedman for a LT1->Jeep swap. They came in a parts car so I don't know the true origin. Well, I USED to know it, it was on V8RX7Forum but.. whatever. But check Hedman for a Jeep swap, I think they will be it. I think (don't quote me) 69640s.

http://replacementautoparts.guidesto...dr-wrang-86-95

Those look right.

{edit} fairly certain that is them. I have more photos of them on the engine stand if that would help? Went with a 95 Vette starter which helps get it away from them, plus it was cheaper than a replacement b-body one, go figure. Gear reduction, cheaper, and smaller.. no brainer!

Wallyman
Thanks man! Good info on the starter as well.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cadsmobile
Thanks man! Good info on the starter as well.
Part # 17124 is the starter I used .. (gotta love taking 800 photos of your build, heh)

Wallyman
Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Muuuwaaahaaaa!!!

It's here!

A-Z Autoparts did a wonderful job packaging it, a double pallet with the motor and tranny tied down and 4 boxes as well. They even included a NIB motor mount for the driver's side! Very impressed. Shipping was $275 from OK to MI, not too shabby. Had to pick it up at a depot about an hour and 15 from home, but that's ok. Saved me a few hundred bucks compared to a lift gate home delviery.

2006 GTO LS2 & T56, 13k miles, complete pullout with all belted accessories, the DBW gas pedal with pigtail and some other box (no clue what that is yet), all clutch hydraulics (Master, remote res. and lines), and the complete air box assembly, shipped, $5775. Gotta love ebay Buy It Now.

The happy couple, soon to be married!

2 small issues - last coil on driver's side, the plug connector was snapped and the passenger motor mount is missing. Called Chad at A-Z, he's working on resolving and I have faith he'll take care of it. He's been a pleasure to deal with and went out of his way to get the parts I needed for the swap. Highly recommend them.

Sold the 87 Mazda RX7 T2 shell last night too, so making so space around the yard and garage.. love it! Next up, sell the LT1 stuff and remaining RX7 parts...

Wallyman
Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

i love it man. keep up the good work
Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy Freakin small world... I still have my copy of that SCC Issue with that Miata in it! It even made me want one at the time lol.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Wow Wally coming along. Can't wait for spring!

-Mike
Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Thats going to be a blast.
Lookin forward to this build.

What are you asking for the LT1?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Go Wally go! When you get done, we'll have to meet up (at a drag strip maybe?) Good luck w/ the build. I'm sure it will be awesome when you're done.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kornerz
i love it man. keep up the good work
Thanks, it's going to be a wicked fun winter.

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
Holy Freakin small world... I still have my copy of that SCC Issue with that Miata in it! It even made me want one at the time lol.
Heh, I hope that once I am finished you still want one!

Originally Posted by jetttstream
Wow Wally coming along. Can't wait for spring!

-Mike
The current Sub can put down a stock TBSS, the Nuclear-powered version should be able to spank yours, I hope.

Originally Posted by Tig
Thats going to be a blast.
Lookin forward to this build.

What are you asking for the LT1?
Thanks, I'm excited as well!

The old stocker? On Craigs for $250 obo right now. Needs a oil pump drive gear (stole it for the 355), otherwise complete long block (no accessories or front dress). Been stored in the garage since it was pulled last winter.

Originally Posted by Leebo
Go Wally go! When you get done, we'll have to meet up (at a drag strip maybe?) Good luck w/ the build. I'm sure it will be awesome when you're done.
Thanks, Leebo! Say hi to the boys in Lex for me.. and I hope to track the snot out of the car once finished, one of my goals in my post-married life is to do more car things. So far, I'm heading that direction. [and the new GF supports such funny ideas as an LS2 Miata, which is awesome!]

Build Update (sort of):

Had to put in some OT today, so no work on the car proper but secured two truck loads of wood for garage heating this winter. I should have enough now to get me through, so that's one less thing to worry about. Researching front dress tonight, trying to figure out what I may need to do with that, and also compiling the laundry list of things that I need to order up. Hope to get the car video'd with the current driveline, and a compresison check on it tomorrow as well. Figure a little documentation on it won't hurt when I got to sell it.

Wallyman
Old 11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Cam Selection...

Build Update:
CAM - Researched Cams last night, leaning towards the Vengeance VRX5 with dual springs and hardened pushrods..

236/238 .601/.605 113 LSA. Excellent Midrange and Top end Power. Extremely choppy idle. 2100-6800 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with this camshaft. We suggest the use of Dual Gold Springs with this camshaft. ** Our #1 Camshaft in daily driven LS2 equipped Vettes/GTOs/CTSVs.**

Not sure if I can break 400rwhp with that knowing (right now at least) the headers are 1.5" primaries, but based on everything I am reading there are some decent performing LS2 cars with that setup. Not too radical for a M6 DD car, but still mildly lumpy.

ACCESSORIES - Compiled a crap load of info on the front dress options, still fuzzy tho.. I need to wade through it. It appears I have to swap out some stuff but not sure the quantity or which parts. Since I have a GTO LS2, I am assuming water pump I have is teh desirable short one. The pulley is f-ing huge, tho. I think I may be able to resue the alternator (since I have it) and the AC (same, have that too) but use F-bod or CTS-V brackets. Still trying to sort that mess out. There is all kinds of info here about accessories but it is very chaotic. Want to place the order with FM for the majority of stuff soon, but this sort of impacts it.

DOCUMENTATION - Sub's current driveline video'd.. drove it for the last time with the turbo setup. Kinda makes me all teary-eyed.. but tears turn to maniacal laughter once I think about the LS2.

WORKSHOP - Doesn't really count as 'build' but still integral. Secured 2 truck loads fo wood for heating, got it all split and stacked so should be fine there. Just need to get rid of the old LT1, and move the 355 RX7 out (being stored outside this year to make room).. then the space will be close to ready.

Wallyman

Quick Reply: The Yellow Submarine goes Nuclear - LS2/T56 Miata