Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AArrgh! Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96. What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default AArrgh! Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96. What next?

Got all the junk off my 3k mileage junkyard 2010 L96 last nite, and pulled the oil drain plug and immediately out comes about a gallon of water or coolant. Then the oil finally starts to come. Don't know how the water got in, and not sure what to do next. Maybe it came in thru the opening on the passenger valve cover? Here are two pics w/valve covers off--drivers side looks great, but passenger side has rust on the one spring where the oil opening is. Had no cover over oil fill hole when I got it.

Plz post any response on my build thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...dayton-oh.html

What do I need to do next?
Attached Thumbnails AArrgh!  Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96.  What next?-oil-fill-tube-valve-cover.jpg   AArrgh!  Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96.  What next?-passenger-valve-cover-off.jpg   AArrgh!  Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96.  What next?-drivers-valve-cover-off.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Going back to the junkyard comes to mind....
Old 03-01-2011, 06:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How else would you clean a motor other then hosing it down inside? I would contact the junkyard.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Improper (outdoor while missing the oil cap) storage created your problem. Hopefully you are still within your warranty period.

Originally Posted by Speedy911
How else would you clean a motor other then hosing it down inside? I would contact the junkyard.
Ha, ha, ha! I'll give that a go next time.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

I say call the junk yard. I wouldn't want it
Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I may not have that option. But it is also in Gary IN 5 hours away. So really two ?s. Given that volume of water, it obviously happened post wreck or the engine would have already died. So what damage would water going thru the engine do? Especially since it all went down to the bottom of the oil pan and was sitting there? Probably some surface rust, but pistons all move freely.

In a first best world I wouldn't start this way, but if I am where I am, I need to understand the risks prior to going forward. I mean, it would be more work to add it all back together and ship back than to pull the heads an put new head gaskets. I'll be replacing the pan anyway.

Anyone w/knowledge of how the oil drain holes work that can tell me what potential damage I could have? Any theories as to whether coolant could have somehow got in w/o a blown head gasket if the engine was upside down during the wreck (which I don't know, but is possible)?

I'll probably rotate the engine and take off the pan tonite. Pictures to come.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

call junkyard first....if they won't work with you, you'll have to pop the heads off and see if the bores are full of rust or not
Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Was it coolant or water; it's not clear from your description. With that much water, I suppose it could be a "flood motor." With as much rust as I see in the photos, I would be highly suspicious of rust on the cam and lifters (actually the whole valve train like valve stems, etc); not a risk or investment in time and $$ I would personally want to deal with, and a return to the yard would be my option.

Andy1
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got off the phone w/the junkyard; yes there is a 30 day warranty. However, the guy is pretty convinced that they must not have sealed the oil hole prior to their PRESSURE WASHING it. So now we have a good idea of the source of the volume of water. He asked if I had taken the intake off, which I had, and he asked if there was any water in there (said I would hear sloshing). I replied there was none, so he doesn't think any went down the intake thru to pistons. He is pretty convinced it should be fine. I'll look at the crank and everything tonite.

If it is ok, I'd sure just like to keep it--huge hassle to ship back.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah man... thats really shitty, but i think that not taking it back is gonna be a real can of worms.

even if it was JUST some light surface rust, like andy said, its probably over parts of the valvetrain, could have effected bearings, etc. Remember that if you do keep it it MUST be fully cleaned, all the oil/coolant passages etc etc; rust is like mold, so once it starts itll spread wherever. the engine might turn now but itd suck to find out down the road that the cylinders were pitted or the cam lobes got roughened, etc.

i would have been on the phone w the yard as soon as i saw that rocker

EDIT: did you show the guy at the yard those pics? im still of the opinion that its less work to ship it now than to pull it/rebuild later
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Based on your story and my own experience with a motor from a yard I'd send that one back and just pay more for something that you know is good. Having to swap motors at the very last second blows ***.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irish350
i would have been on the phone w the yard as soon as i saw that rocker
Well, I did just find all this last nite and posted pics here this a.m. and talked to him at lunch today. Doubt they would have answered my call @ 1030 last nite! :-)
Old 03-01-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea i had my cylinders full of rust from one junkyard motor. They got me another in less than a week with 1 less mile too!
Old 03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 or the return.. else i would say your got rebuild the motor completely, new bearing, cam, rights, etc.. block and head need to be hot tanked.

just return it for a better piece of mine.... Some hassle now or a really big hassle later !
Old 03-01-2011, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goldhawg
Well, I did just find all this last nite and posted pics here this a.m. and talked to him at lunch today. Doubt they would have answered my call @ 1030 last nite! :-)
probably will help w the return that you didnt give it a shot, haha

let us know what you end up with instead
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Return Pronto or Asap

whichever is quicker, do not let them talk you into keeping it.... They fugged up....... period...

Bozz
Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

The guy admitted they pressure washed it with the cap off, then tried to get you to keep it?
Send it back.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

I had that EXACT thing happen to me, they BS'ed around for a while, too long for me and finally after I told them I would put it through their front window they refunded me, the whole time saying they never heard of an LS motor getting water in them, they are a sealed motor....yea BS! I got a better one from LKQ
Old 03-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

Get em to get you a new one and they can pay to ship them both..... Don't be concerned with the hastle shiping it back. slap it on the skid secure it good enough, so when the truck comes to drop off the new one the old one goes back on the same truck. Like stated before the valve train in that area is most likely contaminated with surface rust. So if you were not planing on rebuilding the motor it is not worth keeping.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW.. who is this vendor that you got it from ?

Quick Reply: AArrgh! Water--lots of water--in the oil pan of my 3k junkyard L96. What next?