Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can A/C shops make custom hoses out of old hose ends?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can A/C shops make custom hoses out of old hose ends?

I know I should be asking a hose shop, but other than the two that were referred by other board members I don't know who to go to. Stuart Hose doesn't do any aluminum brazing, and the guy at Kims Hose was in a rush and while he said he could do it I am a little worried he didn't exactly know what I want.

I tried buying a bunch of hose and fittings from a site called docs blocks but after placing the order I got an email saying that about half what I ordered is out of stock with no eta.

So back to the drawing board. I figure since I have all of the hoses, they just don't fit length/bend wise, I could have a company cut the hose ends off my current lines, braze them to a bradlock fitting, then just have them make them the right lengths. Seems simple enough to me, but I don't know much about the process. Below you will find pictures of all the ends that I'd need cut off and made into custom lines.

Name:  0698e222.jpg
Views: 3064
Size:  98.6 KB
Name:  a6475f09.jpg
Views: 2708
Size:  87.1 KB

Also, Kims said about $40 per line, is this reasonable? Any other suggestions, preferably a place open on saturdays.

Lastly, is there anything wrong with mounting an accumulator on it's side?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

I am wondering if someone can cut the current hoses then braze a beadlock fitting to them, the make/crimp new hose to that.

Basically braze something like this to the current pipe right before the fitting then just make the hose the correct length and crimp.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is exactly what I'm having a local A/C shop do for me. Basically I brought some of the old A/c hoses to them, they will cut off the old ends and braze them onto new hoses.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

We cut the sleeves with a ziz wheel, and then just use new sleeves and hose. Been working like that for 25 yrs...
Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schitzo
This is exactly what I'm having a local A/C shop do for me. Basically I brought some of the old A/c hoses to them, they will cut off the old ends and braze them onto new hoses.
What are you paying for this? I called a few places but they all said "bring it in" and I don't want to was my time if it is not possible.

In my imagination they could just cut off the end with about 1 inch of pipe then just braze on a bead lock fitting then crimp on a hose to that.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a Tubing/Hose shop take my Chevelle hoses and the LS1 hoses.. we were able to cut and combine the two for what I needed. So... Yes...
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If you still want to get fittings, you might try these folks. I talked to them over the phone a couple months ago and they were very helpful in explaining how I could size up their hose kits and then take them to a local shop to crimp the ends in the right orientations. They have individual fittings, bulk hose, adapters, manifolds, etc.

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/ac-hose-kits-85.php
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
If you still want to get fittings, you might try these folks. I talked to them over the phone a couple months ago and they were very helpful in explaining how I could size up their hose kits and then take them to a local shop to crimp the ends in the right orientations. They have individual fittings, bulk hose, adapters, manifolds, etc.
I wouldn't buy their hose kits then take it to the local shop, I would just go to the local shop first, they will have the proper hoses and fittings.

dville, if you really want to get new hoses, you're going to have to invest a little time and effort to visit a local hose shop. Using the phone to do your shopping isn't going to work in this case, they really need to see what fittings/hoses you have to work with before they can give you an accurate price.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try NAPA most of the shops can do A/C fittings on hose.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dville_gt
What are you paying for this? I called a few places but they all said "bring it in" and I don't want to was my time if it is not possible.

In my imagination they could just cut off the end with about 1 inch of pipe then just braze on a bead lock fitting then crimp on a hose to that.
They havent given me price yet. But it will not expensive as all they have to do is cut and braze about 4 fittings. I just need to get a few things squared away before they can make the lines.

If you are up to it, brazing fittings is not that hard. See the how to videos on docsblocks.com
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Where are you located? I have a place near me that does this type of thing. If you're in the KC area I can pass on their contact information.

I've been told NAPA does them, but not all stores. I've not verified this as I already have a source.

Old Geezer's method works too.

Most hot rod shops can either build hoses or know someone who can because they do conversions all the time.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-

http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/ac-hose-kits-85.php
I concur! I sent them an LS1 compressor block with cut hose connected to TPI ends with cut hoses. I had the hoses barreled together in the exact length and orientation I needed.

Got sent back a new hose set with new ends on the TPI side and the original compressor end for the LS1 for $85 shipped a week later.

Kevin D.

Quick Reply: Can A/C shops make custom hoses out of old hose ends?