Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to start up an engine on a stand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a way to start up an engine on a stand?

I'm looking at an ls model engine to start my swap. Most engines are pulled out of vehicles and can't hear them run.
What all do I need to hookup To get it started.
It comes with an engine harness and ecu and all accessories I read vats has to be disabled.
Also are 4.8 and 5.3 ecu's compatibles ?
I really like to hear an engine run before I commit to all the work and it be a bad engine.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM aknovaman

this is his

Old 02-29-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Your best bet would be to wait till you find a running car... My friend (95ststa) finds them occasionally for around 3500-4000... Get one of those and then sell the parts you dont need.... by the time you create a stand to test an engine, you will probably have enough time/money in it to justify buying a running car anyways...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would need the "right" harness and tune on the engine for it to run

i did mine with a old battery, old fuel pump+gas can and some other odds and ends = but mine was a turnkey engine

it might be possible to bypass the pcm/stock harness/ and use some kind of gasoline squirt bottle into the throttle body (to hear it run for a few seconds) but i have no idea (someone else would have to chime in on that one)
Old 02-29-2012, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

http://s704.photobucket.com/albums/w...filter=noflash
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

bump. anyone ??
Old 04-29-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

I've been thinking of making something like that. Did you build that one?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I reworked my harness and just hooked up a couple jumper cables and tested my pcm, then decided to start it. was very easy. The link below is my you tube video and it was filmed before I removed the VATS. I later started it with a pump dropped in a bucket of gas after I removed VATS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0AR_...4&feature=plcp
Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

A work buddy built the blue engine test stand. It's sold and now I have this one. I revised several things I did not like on the original one. I changed it to lower the engine, simpler truck style engine mounts, cleaner radiator fill position, cleaner bellhousing mount, etc. Total cost including free mufflers, exhaust and fuel pump, new steel, casters is about $350 plus assembly time.

I highly discourage starting any engine on an engine asembly stand without a radiator and fuel system. No safe at all. Plus you can't test the injectors.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
A work buddy built the blue engine test stand. It's sold and now I have this one. I revised several things I did not like on the original one. I changed it to lower the engine, simpler truck style engine mounts, cleaner radiator fill position, cleaner bellhousing mount, etc. Total cost including free mufflers, exhaust and fuel pump, new steel, casters is about $350 plus assembly time.

I highly discourage starting any engine on an engine asembly stand without a radiator and fuel system. No safe at all. Plus you can't test the injectors.
What are you using for a fuel pump ? Can I run my with a factory harness and ecm without reflash?
Old 12-21-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8
What are you using for a fuel pump ? Can I run my with a factory harness and ecm without reflash?
Well I asked this question over a year ago . Without the VATS removed the engine should start and run for at least 3 seconds correct ? Please help .
Old 12-21-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

My youtube channel has several vids of engines running on my ERS (Engine Run Stand).

VATS MUST be deleted in the PCM file OR a VATS bypass module used. The bypass module is not the best way considering most swaps delete all the emissions devices so the check engine light will be ON and all the associated codes will be set in the PCM and show on a scanner. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing a clean efficient swap. But it will run for less than 3 seconds if even that long.

I use an inline Walbro pump but you can use any junk yard used in-tank or inline pump as long as you run a filter. no sense shoving stale fuel that's been sitting in the fuel rail and injectors right into the injectors. I always soak and clean them before running a used engine.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

My youtube channel has several vids of engines running on my ERS (Engine Run Stand).

VATS MUST be deleted in the PCM file OR a VATS bypass module used. The bypass module is not the best way considering most swaps delete all the emissions devices so the check engine light will be ON and all the associated codes will be set in the PCM and show on a scanner. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing a clean efficient swap. But it will run for less than 3 seconds if even that long.

I use an inline Walbro pump but you can use any junk yard used in-tank or inline pump as long as you run a filter. no sense shoving stale fuel that's been sitting in the fuel rail and injectors right into the injectors. I always soak and clean them before running a used engine.
Well here is the problem , Im helping a friend . He has his 5.3 engine on a stand , we are using the factory harness , pcm , and factory tank and fuel pump . But we cant get the engine to fire up. Any suggestions to trouble shoot this.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me your phone and I can call to discuss.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should at least crack off with some starting fluid and the proper harness. I wouldn't trust a regular engine stand to hold a running engine though. I'd at least hook a crane to it as a backup in case it tips.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't use a regular engine stand that's designed for dissembling an engine.

It is a custom purpose built engine run stand.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

PM me your phone and I can call to discuss.
Thanks for the tips we will try your suggestions and I will report back, it will probably be after Christmas. Thanks aknovaman
Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by omc8
Well here is the problem , Im helping a friend . He has his 5.3 engine on a stand , we are using the factory harness , pcm , and factory tank and fuel pump . But we cant get the engine to fire up. Any suggestions to trouble shoot this.
Question harness, the C 100 connector , this is a body harness connector correct can you just delete this all together. Does the pink wire from the C 100 need to be connected to 12v start ?
Old 12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, you can do away with all of the Cxxx cconectors... they are just that... connectors... a convent way to connect the engine to the engine bay and body harnesses. Just cut the out, and wire the wires to what is required.
By disconnecting the Cxxx. It made it easy for GM to raise the engine into place or for the dealer to drop the engine out to sercices the car/engine.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Yes, you can do away with all of the Cxxx cconectors... they are just that... connectors... a convent way to connect the engine to the engine bay and body harnesses. Just cut the out, and wire the wires to what is required.
By disconnecting the Cxxx. It made it easy for GM to raise the engine into place or for the dealer to drop the engine out to sercices the car/engine.
Just confused , LT1 swap says to connect the pink wire to 12v start . We have fuel and power to the coils , but it will not fire.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to start up an engine on a stand?