Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP 3rd gen conversion to 4th gen (everything!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 3rd gen conversion to 4th gen (everything!)

Okay so i have a lot of work ahead of me.. no i am not paying someone to build my car. Right now my biggest concern are brakes and suspension. The reason is because i do not want to have the 2in spacers to fit 4th gen wheels on my car like i currently have to. This is my first car that i got in high school so the car means alot and i will never get rid of it. I plan on buying an aftermarket tubular k-member so i can use the headers that came with my donar 98 z28. I am going to be swapping everything over.. hopefully. The things i want to do are listed below and i will be taking them off of the 98 z28 and putting them in my car.

4th gen parts to be put into 3rd gen!
l
\/

dash
seats/seatbelts
door panels
full drivetrain (ls1, 4l60 w/ 3600 yank converter)
wiring harness (complete whole body including dash)
brakes (lines, booster, pp valve, rotors, hubs, discs, calipers, ABS system)
fuel tank/ fuel pump/ lines
rack and pinion
i want everything swapped over.

What cam should i get? Or cheap mods that i can do? i want lots of lope and good power!

Please any info or knowledge of any of these swaps would help me out immensly!!! Again my biggest concern is whether or not i can get the brakes and suspension to work. I am planning on buying an aftermarket k-member and if the coil over kit would make it work then i will get that or using the 4th gen a arms and spindles?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance guys!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

If you use the search button you can get answers to all your questions.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Teching In

I have done a lot of research, but can not find anything about the suspension parts as well as the brakes
Old 06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

I have done this same conversion with dash, door panels A/C box everything. Best thing as far as brakes go is to use C6Z06 brakes and Kore3 brackets. I would use hawks 3rd gen headers and leave the stock K member its alot stronger and will not crack over time like the tubular ones will. Tubular K members are made for race cars and track cars not street cars all the bumps on everyday streets will eventually crack them no matter what companys say that make them. Hope this helps. Lots of work ahead of you
Old 06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 4th gen rear will bolt right into the 3rd gen, so no adapters necessary at the rear. You can adapt the front brakes to the 3rd gen spindles, but the 4th gen front suspension and steering cannot be used on the 3rd gen, no matter what you do. Also, those 4th gen headers will not work either, even with a tubular K-member. You're stuck running adapters up front.

If you need more in depth information, you're on the wrong site. PM me for details.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. This is a huge project and not buying the k-member is going to save me 1500 bucks. So do i just get the motor mount adapters then right? I already have the fourth gen rear end on my car already. 00turboT/A- can i use the fourth gen spindles on my thirdgen and use the calipers, rotors, and hubs then? Thanks again guys. Im new to all the forums so please ignore my ignorance on some things
Old 06-20-2012, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fbodyman50
can i use the fourth gen spindles on my thirdgen and use the calipers, rotors, and hubs then?
No. Again, you cannot use ANY of the front suspension of steering. You can run the 4th gen brakes, but you need to cut and drill your existing spindles, have the 3rd gen rotors machined down to just the hubs, then mount up the 4th gen rotors and calipers.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Everyone keeps telling me to use the search bar... but there are so many things that come up. I decided to do a single turbo build and not mess with any of the suspension. Now i cant find hardly any in depth builds that help. I want to put the turbo in front of my driver side inner fender. Any ideas?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
You can adapt the front brakes to the 3rd gen spindles, but the 4th gen front suspension and steering cannot be used on the 3rd gen, no matter what you do.
Not ENTIRELY true. Search for Fatal88 to see the ONLY way to make the 4th gen front suspension stuff work without building a completely custom front end. And you wont like how it has to be done... Its not exactly feasable for 98% of us building these cars haha.

I do agree that you are on the wrong site. You need to be over at thirdgen for this project. Tech is the BEST site for getting general and in depth LS engine info. The swap section is great for learning all you need to make the motor work in just about anything with half a dozen wires and a fuel pump haha. But for your specific issues, you'll be better off at TGO.

Im a little concerned that you want to push forward with a single turbo set up and are asking for help with positioning. As with a lot of swaps, you gotta figure some things out on your own. Im not 100% sure, but I dont know if anyone has done a 3rd gen front mount turbo set up yet. SO what you are looking at doing is, following a front mount set up from this site, and mounting the turbo in a location that works. I feel its easier in the 3rd gen engine bay as there is more room and less extra chassis work.

Good luck! If you can cut and weld tubing, and are ok with wiring...this will be an easy swap for you! Dont sweat the suspension stuff... The stock 3rd gen front end is surprisingly good for its age and you'll have fun finding its limits.

J.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 AM
Teching In

Default update

Its been a while since i have done an update. I ended up doing a 78mm turbo, 80# injectors, twin walbros, ran all new -8 feed and return line from my boost reference fuel regulator, head studs, custom grind turbo cam from martin at tick, had the 4l60e completely gone through and running -8 lines to the new cooler mounted behind my intercooler which is a 31x12x4. The brakes are done, center console, dash, and carpet are done. Pretty much all i have left is to figure out how i want to do my hotside and coldside and the battery relocation kit. Then tune it with the hp tuner program i bought with a 2bar. Im hoping for around 650-700 rwhp on e85 and no more than 15psi so we will see.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO the best way to mount up a moderately sized turbo is on the passenger side, not the driver. Run upside down and forward manifolds (or custom headers) with a crossover between the radiator and front of the engine. There just isn't enough room on the driver side to run an adequately sized downpipe... unless you think a dump at the fender is a good idea.

Once you get into a turbo so large that it utilizes a T6 flange it's best placed right in front of the crank pulley, and that requires core support modification.

Quick Reply: HELP 3rd gen conversion to 4th gen (everything!)