Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Camaro using 4th gen radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 67 Camaro using 4th gen radiator?

I recently did some research and received from good advice from daytonayellowz (travis) and am thinking of putting a 96 camaro radiator with 02 dual fan setup. The only issue is the look of the waterpump hose going across the front of the engine to the drivers side. I just don't really care for the look of that, but for under $300 it's hard to argue with. Does anyone have any other economical ideas?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It will work.. I have a 02 radiator and fan setup on my project Nova (which is pretty much the same in the radiator Support area.).

If you don't like the upper hose crossing, you will then need to go with a duel pass radiator, not real costly, but if your tight on a budget.. yeah. it is then. but it would put both the hose in/out lets on the passenger side.

I guess there are junk yard radiator that might find that would have both the in/out lets on the same side. But no one has posted anything that I have read.

Being cheap can be tough ! LOL.. (I would know, I try my best to keep it a budget swap, but NO !)...

and BTW.. $300 seem high for a used F-body radiator and fan setup !? IMO...

BC
Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought my engine/trans off Travis. He is a great guy to work with and has a wealth of knowledge to share. I had a similar situation where I already had very nice radiator/fan setup with the upper hose connection on the driver side. I needed a water pump so I bought one with the outlet on the driver side, https://ls1tech.com/forums/15925038-post68.html

Another thing to remember is make sure you have enough room for a cold air intake setup, here is a link to my setup. https://ls1tech.com/forums/16540385-post199.html
Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Armour

I'm with BCZEE a 4th gen rad will totally work, but the upper rad hose is going to be difficult. I dropped a 96' camaro and dual fan set up in my 73' Nova. It looks like it was meant to go there. I even found an off the shelf hose for the lower that in 1.5" on the engine side and 1.3" on the rad side, fits like a glove!

For the upper house I think I will have to buy a couple hoses with the correct bends and use a straight section in the middle to connect them. IN the future I hope to upgrade to a nice aftermarket AL rad with inlet and outlet on the pass. side for cleaner routings.

And yes, BCZEE is right $300 is nuts! I got the fan AND rad for under $100. Fan is in perfect condition, and the rad is near perfect. $300, might as well go get a summit rad and run the camaro dual fan! Good luck!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the responses guys!! For the prices, I was looking at new parts, not used. I don't have any of the parts yet, but I did find a dual pass aluminum radiator from "Northern Auto Parts" for under $200. One of the things I liked about the 96 camaro one was the steam fitting built in, this other one does not. Also, does anyone know where to get the upper outlet tube on the water pump? I have the truck pump and someone cut it off so it's just a little nub.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't think you can buy that tube (top of pump). They usually come with the pump and usually get trashed if trying to remove them. Maybe someone can weld/braze a tube on to the nub ??

If you get a Aluminum Radiator. You can always get someone to weld/braze a tube near the top of the radiator for the steam vent.

BC
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Water Neck Options

Here is a pretty cool idea to relocate the water outlet to the front of the pump: E LS1 Camino did this for his swap, pretty resourceful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-build-3.html

Removing and clocking the water neck to a more useful position has been done before, here is one thread I found:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...3-build-3.html

I bet you could do something similar.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

That is an interesting fix with the threaded nipple in the outlet tube. Thanks for the link to it!
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes...a good mod. Will have to keep the one on tap... maybe do AN fitting to the threaded Water pump !?

BC

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro using 4th gen radiator?