Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Rod your thread on TeamCamaro is great to follow. What wiper motor did you use?

I plan to smooth from the wiper motor over and thats it. I dont want to eliminate the facotory body tag or the "X" in the drivers firewall panel.

This link from DSE is a decent panel the follows the factory seam from what I see

http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...-fll-plte.html

It doesnt eliminate the blower motor hole like the link in your thread Rod but looks decent.

Just stirring up discussion on this. Lets talk

Thanks
Thanks. I bought the wiper motor from DSE http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...ecta-sped.html I believe there is now a thread on pro-touring and/or lateral-g that allows to do the same at a fraction of the cost.

Since your this far into it you might as well remove the front and rear glass to see if you need any additional metal work. I had to replace my dash as the previous owner was pretty good with fiberglass and bondo....

As for smoothing the firewall. For starters, it is a lot of work and you will end up smoothing a lot more than you initially plan on, or at least I did. After 40 plus years of abuse these firewalls are anything but flat.

As you know I bought a plate with a raised step in it to give it the factory look and I smoothed the entire firewall. You could easily make one yourself using 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal.

The DSE plate is pretty popular, but what I found on my firewall was is I needed to smooth more of the firewall than the DSE plate would have covered (just something to consider)

Another option is to buy the bolt in heater delete plate from DSE http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...lete-plte.html Yes it is not as pretty, but there is not a lot of labor required to installing it. If I were to do another restoration I would personally consider going with this option.

Not a lot of answers, but some options to think about.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 158 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
Thanks. I bought the wiper motor from DSE http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...ecta-sped.html I believe there is now a thread on pro-touring and/or lateral-g that allows to do the same at a fraction of the cost.

Since your this far into it you might as well remove the front and rear glass to see if you need any additional metal work. I had to replace my dash as the previous owner was pretty good with fiberglass and bondo....

As for smoothing the firewall. For starters, it is a lot of work and you will end up smoothing a lot more than you initially plan on, or at least I did. After 40 plus years of abuse these firewalls are anything but flat.

As you know I bought a plate with a raised step in it to give it the factory look and I smoothed the entire firewall. You could easily make one yourself using 16 or 18 gauge sheet metal.

The DSE plate is pretty popular, but what I found on my firewall was is I needed to smooth more of the firewall than the DSE plate would have covered (just something to consider)

Another option is to buy the bolt in heater delete plate from DSE http://www.detroitspeed.com/1967-196...lete-plte.html Yes it is not as pretty, but there is not a lot of labor required to installing it. If I were to do another restoration I would personally consider going with this option.

Not a lot of answers, but some options to think about.
Thanks Rod. I know if I dont do something im gonna regret it. Like mentioned mainly to get rid of all the factory HVAC holes.

I do plan to remove the glass but wont until it gets to the shop. Im more afraid about the doors for some reason. I have this feeling so we'll see. Whatever comes about it is what it is.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Now that the car is ready for body work and paint I plan to bring the subframe and rear end back home and go through them. So I am looking at suspension/steering/brake options. At this time I dont plan to go all out "pro-touring" setup but seen a kit from Classic Performance Products that looks pretty nice and has all the components I plan on doing for sure and more. Has anyone ran CPP's stuff yet?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6874PTK-3.htm

The front end isnt worn out but was replaced with factory bushings ect. I checked out pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net for reviews on CPP. It looks to me the guys that post that say its "junk" are the hardcore autox racers. But the ones that are budget minded that just want a fun cruiser are happy with their products. I will weight my options but it looks to be the kit I will be leaning towards. I might give them a call and ask a few questions.

Last edited by 2BFAST; 02-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

And im kinda leaning towards this option. Just have to have a few other holes filled in but I think this will still be clean. It will also kinda keep the cost down a little bit.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

69 had the rectangular mirrors and not round.
Much better on the engine fitment. Those headers fit in there really nicely.
Great job man keep it up.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2BFAST
Now that the car is ready for body work and paint I plan to bring the subframe and rear end back home and go through them. So I am looking at suspension/steering/brake options. At this time I dont plan to go all out "pro-touring" setup but seen a kit from Classic Performance Products that looks pretty nice and has all the components I plan on doing for sure and more. Has anyone ran CPP's stuff yet?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/.../6874PTK-3.htm

The front end isnt worn out but was replaced with factory bushings ect. I checked out pro-touring.com and lateral-g.net for reviews on CPP. It looks to me the guys that post that say its "junk" are the hardcore autox racers. But the ones that are budget minded that just want a fun cruiser are happy with their products. I will weight my options but it looks to be the kit I will be leaning towards. I might give them a call and ask a few questions.
If the car is just going to be a weekend cruiser the kit will probably be ok, but if you later decide to do a little more with the car you will be replacing just about everything in that setup. There are better options (Ridetech, Speedtech, SPC, etc), but all of them cost more $$. I wouldn't get in a hurry to buy anything yet as you have some time. Another option is to check the classifieds on pro-touring and lateral-g as you regularly see gently used suspension pieces for sale.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sako
69 had the rectangular mirrors and not round.
Much better on the engine fitment. Those headers fit in there really nicely.
Great job man keep it up.
Thanks. And yes they did. I was extremly pleased with the fitment

I will look into the mirrors. I guess I never noticed!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

If the car is just going to be a weekend cruiser the kit will probably be ok, but if you later decide to do a little more with the car you will be replacing just about everything in that setup. There are better options (Ridetech, Speedtech, SPC, etc), but all of them cost more $$. I wouldn't get in a hurry to buy anything yet as you have some time. Another option is to check the classifieds on pro-touring and lateral-g as you regularly see gently used suspension pieces for sale.
The only thing the car will be doing other than weekend cruising will be going in a straight line in a hurry. But I plan to run cal-tracs for better traction and looks like the kit will have adjustable shocks for the rear so that will help as well. Its not gonna be cornering or autoxing at all. Which is why I think the kit should be fine.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Update

I have the RS Conversion front end kit here along with the DSE electric motor conversion for the hideaway headlights. With that order I also go the Z/28/Pace Car stripe stencil kit to get the stripes laid out when it gets painted as well as a front sheet metal fastener and bolt kit. Nothing wrong with the old bolts but they are all old and dingy looking. Im going this far no point in installing old bolts.

Also on order is the Classic Performance Parts Stage PT III kit. Upgraded it with drilled/slotted rotors and had them zinc washed. Last I had them throw in a set of Cal-Trac bars while I was at it. I know some have their pros & cons on the CPP stuff. But I will bet the farm it will be ok for what im going to do with the car and it has to be better than factory so im looking forward to it. From the guys that dont use their car for track use or push them hard they love it. So we'll see.

Hopfully this weekend I will get the subframe out and stripped down. More pics to come

Last edited by 2BFAST; 04-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

CPP stuff showed up yesterday

hopefully the car will be going to the body shop this weekend......
Old 04-20-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you really wanted it to look good you wouldn't mess with any of the pre made crap. Go get some .049 sheet and cut out a fill panel. Drill 1/8 holes and use clekos to hold it in. Have the body guy spot it in with a mig. fill/sand/fill/sand... yada yada yada.

Also ask your painter if he uses slick sand. It is by far one of the best spray fillers and doesn't shrink.

Sorry but the pre made panels look cheap and looks like you took the east way out on the firewall.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great and keep the updates coming! I bled the brakes on mine today and took it out for about a 30 mile cruise! It is going to be a fun summer!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sprayed99
If you really wanted it to look good you wouldn't mess with any of the pre made crap. Go get some .049 sheet and cut out a fill panel. Drill 1/8 holes and use clekos to hold it in. Have the body guy spot it in with a mig. fill/sand/fill/sand... yada yada yada.

Also ask your painter if he uses slick sand. It is by far one of the best spray fillers and doesn't shrink.

Sorry but the pre made panels look cheap and looks like you took the east way out on the firewall.
Thanks for the info Dan. If you were anywhere remotely closer you would be painting it hands down. Jason will do a good job though when its all said and done.

Looks great and keep the updates coming! I bled the brakes on mine today and took it out for about a 30 mile cruise! It is going to be a fun summer!
Man you are making me jelly. Im chomping at the bit to get this one rolling but its going to be awhile.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

The boys came by with the trailer and hauled it off to get prepped and painted.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

any news brother?

Mine is about to go on the roll back and head to the shop also. I keep starting a build thread and by the time I spend an hour going through photobucket I say F&*k it and go do something else LOL.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

Nah man, gonna be at the body shop for a few months. I told him I wasnt adament on getting it back quick that way I have some time to gather some extra funding. I would say by the end of summer approx I would have it back?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

While the car has been at the body shop I have been doing some major slacking. As the car has recently been almost ready for primer I decided to get off my dead *** and start on the motor and trans. I have the motor stipped down to a short block and have been deciding on what components I want to use. Also on the trans I have made a list of the things I want to do but wanted to get it torn apart just in case to make sure there isnt any suprises.

I didnt get much done on it as the pump is being stubborn as hell popping out of the case. I need to round a friends pump puller then I can start getting to the guts. I havnt had a pump be this stubborn yet but it is what it is and no need to get stupid trying to break it free.

Here is the donor

Bellhousing, tailshaft, pan, and filter removed

Wiring, valve body, 1-2 accumulator cup, pressure manifold, servos, all removed. This is where the pump just wouldnt budge without a puller. First one that I couldnt finagle loose someway without being captain ramrod but its cool. Id rather wait to get the puller then jack something up. Also a look at my mobile transmission stand. Shes seen a few trannys in her day......

More pics to come when I get the pump popped out
Old 07-22-2013, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work! I should drop off my trans at your place and let you redo my 4l70e. As you know the key with these projects is to keep moving, whether it be actually working on the car, planning, or ordering parts.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

I agree on that statement. I should of been doing this months ago when the car left for the body shop but other "hobbies" took over.

As far as transmissions go, I know enough to be dangerous .Although I would love to do it, I dont have the 100% confidence yet to build someones trans for them to beat on.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice work! I should drop off my trans at your place and let you redo my 4l70e. As you know the key with these projects is to keep moving, whether it be actually working on the car, planning, or ordering parts.
Yeah or employ others to do the planning... LMAO...

Quick Reply: 2BFAST's 69 Camaro LS1/60E swap