Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

f body efi swap fuel tanks or inline pump???

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f body efi swap fuel tanks or inline pump???

I am trying to decide on what rute to go with the fuel system with my 69 ls1 camaro..here are my choices..input welcome please.
1 -.keep it cheap and buy a $100.00 inline pump and $100.00 regulator with return.
2- same as above but use the vette filter with buit in reg and return.
3- drop the tank, clean out the fuel fab up a reversed sump and use the c5 pump and filter/regulator I alredy have..free but more work and cuting up my new fuel tank.
4- order a tank set up for efi for around $500.00
5- rob a bank and buy a nice stainless efi tank that I will never look at.

I am leaning to #1 but can not decide on what pump is best because there are so many to chose. I will probley not use the vette filter because a firewall mounted reg and braided an hose looks great.
but I am looking for fast,easy and cheapest to get it up and running.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember ....You get what you pay for..

What is the goal or purpose of the Car.. If just a daily / Street Cruiser.. #1 will get you buy. But in the long run.. you might consider one of the other options.

If you can do the work for #3, I would vote for that. If you have the budget.. then #4...would be a good idea (if the tank is correctly baffled or sumped).

Let us know where you end up for #5.. We can forward you Cigarette and Magazines if you need them if the 1st part doesn't work out well for you..
Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

I'm going route #5 for my '69, using a tank and pump from Tanks Inc.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
Let us know where you end up for #5.. We can forward you Cigarette and Magazines if you need them if the 1st part doesn't work out well for you..
Hahahaha!!!! This made me smile today, thanks bczee.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

I will try not to drop the soap but I will feel the same after spending $1,200.+ to hold fuel!
I can adapt my c5 pump to the stock tank but probley not baffel it.
I am surpized no one makes a weld in kit, but some are selling tanks for under $500. and $200. w/o the pump/fuel sender but do not know if I can use my c5 pump and stock 69 sending unit.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

I almost just bought a spectra tank from rock auto but then checked the info on this site and they do not look so good.
I am thinking about buying this one from ricks. for $500.00 it what a fuel tank with pump and sender should cost. any opinions?

Click on above image to view full picture(s)

More Views
1969 EFI Converted Fuel Tank Camaro Gas Tank, EFI Converted, 1969
•Direct Replacement
•18 Gallon / 68 Liters
•Size 38 3/8" X 20 7/8" X 7 3/4"
•0-105 Ohm Fuel Sending Unit

Electronic fuel injection seems to be all the rage these days. Everywhere you look, Camaro's are running around with LS motors, LT1's and Ramjets. Converting over to these modern systems means more reliability, power, better gas mileage and a dressier engine bay. Converting over usually means modification to the fuel tank at great time and expense. These ready to install fuel tanks utilize a factory style stamped fuel tank and electric fuel pump that produce 85-115 PSI at 50-60 gallons per hour. All you have to do is install it in the place of your original, run 12 volts and fuel lines and your fuel system is ready. No guess work, no more headaches.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"I am thinking about buying this one from ricks. for $500.00 it what a fuel tank with pump and sender should cost. any opinions?"

I don't see baffles mentioned in the Rick's description.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Staging Lane

crap.. how abot tanks..it looks the same but has baffels. have to order the pump and sender seperate but ends up cheaper...

1969 Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebird Fuel Tank - For Fuel Injection
From Tanks, Inc.

1969 Chevy Camaro and Pontiac Firebird Fuel Tank
Fuel Injection Ready!
Uses our GPA series fuel pumps, available in 5 sizes.
Uses aftermarket 5-bolt senders. Multiple Ohm ranges available to work with factory or aftermarket gauges.
EFI Style internal baffling. Extra large 4.3 liter internal fuel tray to prevent fuel pump starvation.
Fuel pump and sender is recessed in the tank for easy installation with no modification needed to your car.
Coated galvanized steel then Powder Coated Silver.
18 Gallon Capacity
39-3/8" x 20-7/8" x 7-3/4"
For a complete setup simply choose a GPA fuel pump and fuel sending unit.

Play | Stop | Next | Previous

TM32B-T

1969 Chevy Camaro / Pontiac Firebird Fuel Tank - For Fuel Injection

Quantity:
Only $220.00

ST-56

1967-69 Camaro / Firebird Gas Tank Straps

Quantity:
Only $30.00

In-Tank Fuel Pump Module - GPA-Series

Optional Fuel Sending Unit
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

except for the cheap pump, i didnt have any problems with my Spectra EFI tank, but i didnt do any road racing with it either.

Last edited by oange ss; 01-16-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to order the spectra tank but came across alot of bad write ups on it. I do not see any real problem except no baffeling wich I guess they solved. problem seems now the old ones are still selling and mixed in so you do not know if your getting the updated one or old one..my luck a old one.
I think you could just fab up a baffel or stick some race fuel cell foam in the tank . I seen them on sale for around $300.00 but when I called to see if it was the updated tank or a build date I got no responce at all.

I think I am going to just buy the tanks tank/pump/sender and a 01 vettefilter /return tomorrow and buy the an fitting adaptors..I have been putting it off too long and need to get building.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

just orded everything from tanks. they seemed like they know their stuff and at $520 shipped they are fair too.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Default 1981 efi fuel tank

does anyone know of an efi set up for 1981 camaro, a fuel tank or weld in kit?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bczee
Remember ....You get what you pay for..

What is the goal or purpose of the Car.. If just a daily / Street Cruiser.. #1 will get you buy. But in the long run.. you might consider one of the other options.

If you can do the work for #3, I would vote for that. If you have the budget.. then #4...would be a good idea (if the tank is correctly baffled or sumped).

Well said!!!!

Quick Reply: f body efi swap fuel tanks or inline pump???