Sponsored by:

Muncie to 5.3L Pace Performance Conversion Kit Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 09:54 AM
cgo
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muncie to 5.3L Pace Performance Conversion Kit Questions

Ok, so, this is yet another old trans to modern engine thread, but more specific questions than I've been able to find on here since I'm using a supposedly bolt up kit.

Before the bashing starts, I'm using a Muncie because I have an M20 that was built by Jerry Macneish and I love it, don't want to cut up the new floor and fire wall of my 65 Chevelle, its light, and I'm only using a 375 HP all alum. 5.3L with a juicy cam. The muncie will handle the HP. I'm not drag racing it.

Anyway, I bought this kit from Pace Performance: http://paceperformance.com/i-6535763...to-500-hp.html

It supposedly allows you to bolt any old school trans to any LS based engine. However, I've read that the 5.3 never came with a stick and there are spacers and etc. that need to be used. Also read that all hardware needs to be from a 4.8 or 6.0. Not sure what this kit uses for fasteners, but they're all ARP. It also came with a spacer for the bell housing.

Will this kit work as is on the 5.3? Should I use the spacer or not (apparently the 5.3 has a shorter crank)? I also know that the pilot shaft doesn't usually fit all the way into the crank, so will eliminating this bell housing spacer solve that issue or are the parts used in this kit already configured for this application?

Any help is appreciated; however, I haven't found anybody out there that has used this kit.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Pretty expensive kit. Do you need the blowout proof bell? If not there's a link to the Pace kit with 621 bell in this thread,
And a note on the ARP bolts, there needs to be a sealant on the flywheel crank bolts to prevent oil from seeping through. The GM ones come with it alread applied..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-ls-motor.html

Last edited by garys 68; 01-21-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That spacer should be the block protector plate,its required for SFI specs.The flywheel provided should be extra .400 thick,similiar to the NFW1050,you shouldn't need any spacers or funky pieces.Have you called Pace?I would hope they can answer your questions on their own kit,if they can't I would send it back.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Watch this video it might help you out.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Launching!

was fixing to post the same video
Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM
cgo
Staging Lane

Yeah, it was pricey, but sometimes you get what you pay for... fingers crossed...

I watched that video and is one of the reasons for my post. The guy in the vid had a couple issues like the pilot shaft not fitting into the crankshaft all the way, but I'm hoping this kit has it all worked out. If not, I suppose I'll do what he did and just leave the pilot bearing out a bit, but I don't really like that too much.

I'm also looking for a good shop manual for the engine for torque specs and etc.

Thanks for the tip about the thread sealant. Any particular thread sealant?

Is Loctite required on any of the flywheel or pressure plate bolts?

Thanks for your help guys. Super happy about finally deciding to go with a modern engine, but I'm still learning.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

Good to know info. I have a 4.8 that I want to put a T-5 behind in an old truck
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

The 5.3 is no different than the 4.8.here is the torque specs http://ls1howto.com/index.php?category=1

Quick Reply: Muncie to 5.3L Pace Performance Conversion Kit Questions