Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in a 65 impala

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in a 65 impala

Thinking of putting a 2004 5.3 in a 65 impala. Has anyone done this? Any obstacles?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, I put a 2002 5.3 in my '65 Impala. Turned out the motor was bad, and I replaced it with an LS2.

There were several obstacles, but none that were crazy hard. I was able to use the GM (Hummer) oil pan, but it hangs low. My exhaust hangs low too, so I raised the engine some to fix that. Because of that, I couldn't run the truck intake (not like I wanted to anyway) otherwise the hood wouldn't close.

If you're looking for headers, you can use the Dynatech LS swap headers for a 67-69 Camaro. They will clear the steering box.

I used the common ebay swap plates. I think I paid $30 for them.

I had to have the driveshaft shortened, and a different yoke added to it so that it would fit into the 4L60e.

Other than that, the hardships I had were unrelated to the LS swap. Check out my build thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-5-3-swap.html

You will also find Kwhizz's '66 Impala build thread very helpful:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...onversion.html
Old 10-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Teching In

SuperDave, thank you so much for your help. And Wow! Your creativity is awesome. Can't wait to started on my project. I plan on doing a frame off as well, replacing floor pans, etc... Did you have to change any of your accessories/brackets? My 5.3 is coming out of an avalanche and I am worried it may sit too high.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

SuperDave, thank you so much for your help. And Wow! Your creativity is awesome. Can't wait to started on my project. I plan on doing a frame off as well, replacing floor pans, etc... Did you have to change any of your accessories/brackets? My 5.3 is coming out of an avalanche and I am worried it may sit too high.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blova00
Yes the alternator will be way too high...or at least it was for me. If you use a different pan than I did, like the Holley pan, you may not need to raise the engine and you might be able to fit it in with the truck brackets. Dirty Dingo sells a bracket setup for the power steering and alt which will get the alt down lower than the height of the intake manifold. I think I paid $250 or so for that.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Great, thanks for your help! This will be a slow build but I'll post my progression as well.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blova00
Great, thanks for your help! This will be a slow build but I'll post my progression as well.
haha believe me, I know all about slow builds. Coming up on two years for me and I'm still nowhere near done. I'm excited to see your build thread though. the '65 Impala is one of my dream cars. Since I can't afford a Viper or Aventador, I had to settle on the big brick.
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by superdave84
haha believe me, I know all about slow builds. Coming up on two years for me and I'm still nowhere near done. I'm excited to see your build thread though. the '65 Impala is one of my dream cars. Since I can't afford a Viper or Aventador, I had to settle on the big brick.
Dave......Your Imagination and attention to detail are second to none.......Enjoy the build because once you're finished .......It's just a Car!!......LOL

Ken
Old 10-12-2013, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Dave......Your Imagination and attention to detail are second to none.......Enjoy the build because once you're finished .......It's just a Car!!......LOL

Ken
Thanks Ken...it's a real honor hearing that from you. And I don't know about it being just a car when I am done. I might try to adopt it as my son.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Ok guys, I ended up passing on the 5.3 and picked up an LS1 out of a 2001 camaro. Going to go ahead and mate it with the 4l60e. I am really new to this process so your patience is greatly appreciated. I am trying to figure out the best way to supply my 65' impala with fuel. I've heard that I can use a fuel tank from a 1995/96 impala/caprice. Do you have any thoughts on this? And would a Walbro 255 fuel pump work along with a c5 corvette fuel filter/regulator?? Lastly, any idea on which type of fuel lines to use. I suppose in a nutshell, i need to understand the best fuel plumbing process i should use.

Quick Reply: 5.3 in a 65 impala