Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a 1970 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Felt good going down the road. Need to get the wiper switch addressed. Junk yard one is no good. Have to transfer over the faceplate to a 69 or firebird switch.

Hopefully it will be tuned next week while I am in Florida.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sweet! I hope it gets done for when you get back.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Launching!

Car is back and in my driveway. Has 38 miles on the odometer at this time. Tuner got the fuel trims all squared away and its not dumping like a pig at an idle. He told me that he could not change the tire size from 28" to 26" because of the 3.73 gears with his program. I don't understand that, but he said it has be to a constant size. But because the speedometer is off, the shifting is way off due to the fact that the transmission shifts on mph and not rpm at WOT.

So searching for a 28" tall tire for a 17x7 rim. Pretty much only coming up with 235/60r17 which is mostly all SUV/Minivan tires that has a 9" to 9.5" tire width. My other option thanks to mercedes is 255/55r17, which is 28" tall and 10.4" wide but leaves me with only 2 choices. Either the bridgestone dueler h/l 400 for $220 each or the Pirelli Scorpion for $185. Both tires are not available locally.

Thinking I may try and get a pair of used 235/60r17 since they are plentiful. If the speedo is correct and it shifts better, then I may just suck it up and stick with 28" tall tire. If it will fit.

Also dealing with the "Sticking" throttle on my fast 90 throttle body. I attached a return spring and lubricated the internal pivoting points. It moves very freely without an issue. Have to snap the pedal to get the idle to come down when driving. If it turns into such an issue I may just scratch the whole FAST90/90 and just stick with the LS6 so it is safe to drive. Not good when the rpm will not come down from 3000 attempting to come to a stop.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

More videos!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cferrel4
Car is back and in my driveway. Has 38 miles on the odometer at this time. Tuner got the fuel trims all squared away and its not dumping like a pig at an idle. He told me that he could not change the tire size from 28" to 26" because of the 3.73 gears with his program. I don't understand that, but he said it has be to a constant size. But because the speedometer is off, the shifting is way off due to the fact that the transmission shifts on mph and not rpm at WOT.

So searching for a 28" tall tire for a 17x7 rim. Pretty much only coming up with 235/60r17 which is mostly all SUV/Minivan tires that has a 9" to 9.5" tire width. My other option thanks to mercedes is 255/55r17, which is 28" tall and 10.4" wide but leaves me with only 2 choices. Either the bridgestone dueler h/l 400 for $220 each or the Pirelli Scorpion for $185. Both tires are not available locally.

Thinking I may try and get a pair of used 235/60r17 since they are plentiful. If the speedo is correct and it shifts better, then I may just suck it up and stick with 28" tall tire. If it will fit.

Also dealing with the "Sticking" throttle on my fast 90 throttle body. I attached a return spring and lubricated the internal pivoting points. It moves very freely without an issue. Have to snap the pedal to get the idle to come down when driving. If it turns into such an issue I may just scratch the whole FAST90/90 and just stick with the LS6 so it is safe to drive. Not good when the rpm will not come down from 3000 attempting to come to a stop.
Try Berg Racing in Webster...
Old 08-29-2017, 09:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
More videos!!!!!!!
I am will try and get a video of driving it up soon. My wife finally drove it and it now has 78 miles on it.

Unfortunately I think I am a victim of the fast 90 throttle body sticking issue. I did not research it before hand when I bought it, but now I know quite a bit about it. Lesson learned: always research before purchasing. The blade sticks due to engine vacuum pulling on it because the spring is not strong enough to return it all the way. So I drilled a hole in the throttle cable bracket and ran a carb return spring from the throttle to that bracket. It is sticking much less now and cruising much better. Nice that it will actually go back into overdrive.

As far as 28" tires go, I borrowed some used ones from a local used tire dealer that the shop gives all our decent used tires too... P235/60rR17 will fit and are about 9.5 inches wide. The P255/55R17 are almost 10.5" wide. They fit in but I am concerned that with body roll on any turn they will rub. This suspension is tighter with the BMR sway bars but I do not think it is that tight. I put on the P235/60r17 for now in attempt to get the speedo straightened out.

Going to hopefully set up another time to drop off the car back at the tuners since I changed the tires to 28" tall in the rear for WOT shifting.

The tire height change made 0 difference to the speedometer output into the dakota digital cluster. The computer is set programmed to 4L80e, 28" tall tire with 3.73 gears. I just don't get how/why the dakota digital cluster then sees the speed as slower then actually going. 42mph on the Dakota cluster is really 55 mph with a GPS. Going to hook up an OBD2 scanner to it tomorrow night and take it for a spin. If that speedometer is correct and matches close to my GPS, then I can definitely point the issue to the cluster module.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

You are from Rochester, NY right? I'm about 60m east. I'd love to meet you some day and check out your ride. Hopefully con you into a quick ride. LOL. Maybe it will be the kick in the *** I need to start working on my 70 Camaro swap again.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM
Launching!

You are from Rochester, NY right? I'm about 60m east. I'd love to meet you some day and check out your ride. Hopefully con you into a quick ride. LOL. Maybe it will be the kick in the *** I need to start working on my 70 Camaro swap again.
I will take you for a ride in it. I just got it back from another attempt at the speedometer by the tuner. He can't figure it out.

Talked with Monster transmission. He said to put in 2 new GM sensors (so I did) and make sure the reluctor rings are visible. The forward one is in plain view, the rear one is there but off to the side. Both the ISS and OSS do show RPM's on the scan tool. Vehicle speed is still way off. Trans data shows 17 mph = actual 35 mph. If it shows 30mph = actual 60 mph.

Maybe its a 4wd computer in a 2wd trans? I don't know about this one. Very frustrated.

Tire size showed 28", so I put on 28" tall tires. gears show 3.73 which is what it has.

I don't know, I need to call an expert.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Ended up sending pictures into Monster transmission with the rear output speed sensor removed. The reluctor ring is not there, so it is reading off the park gear and causing the speedometer and wot shifting to be off.

Waiting to hear back what they are going to do for warranty, going on 2 days now.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM
Launching!

Update: 10 days later monster transmission called back. They are going to have me take my car to a transmission shop where they are going to disassemble the transmission and install the missing ring.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

On MONSTER's dime, right...?
Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,023 Likes on 2,354 Posts

It BETTER be!
Old 10-20-2017, 05:20 AM
Teching In

Update: 10 days later monster transmission called back. They are going to have me take my car to a transmission shop where they are going to disassemble the transmission and install the missing ring.
​​​​​​10 days is rediculous...
Old 10-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Yes, it better be all on their money. They assembled it wrong.

Still waiting on an appointment from "airport transmission" here in rochester to bring it in. I talked with the owner and told him it needs to happen before the snow flies. I was told if I don't hear back in a week to call in and "inquire".

If I knew how to do this myself, then I think I would like to just fix it myself. Sadly, I do not and am at their mercy.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Yes, it better be all on their money. They assembled it wrong.

Still waiting on an appointment from "airport transmission" here in rochester to bring it in. I talked with the owner and told him it needs to happen before the snow flies. I was told if I don't hear back in a week to call in and "inquire".

If I knew how to do this myself, then I think I would like to just fix it myself. Sadly, I do not and am at their mercy.
I believe there pressed on. May even be able to heat it in the oven and get it on, that's how I did my pinion bearing in my Dana diff...
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking ride, yours gives me hope. I am in the process of fitting sheet metal and Im about to pull out whats left of my hair.

If its not too much trouble could you do me a favor and post a picture of the inner fender wells under the hood and in the wheel well itself?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Any updates yet? Tranns fixed yet?
::::knock,knock,knock:::::
You there?
LOL
Old 11-18-2017, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Any updates yet? Tranns fixed yet?
::::knock,knock,knock:::::
You there?
LOL
The 70 Camaro is at airport transmission. Has been there now for a couple weeks. They called me and told me it is inside and on a lift. Supposedly they have it worked out with Monster but I have not heard anything back yet. Just going to have to get it flat bedded out of there anyway since there is salt and that calcium chloride stuff all the roads now.

I can post some pictures of the wheel wells when I get back. Do you just need to know where the bolts go for front or rear? There is some good pictures of when I have this thing all torn down earlier in the thread.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 70 Camaro is at airport transmission. Has been there now for a couple weeks. They called me and told me it is inside and on a lift. Supposedly they have it worked out with Monster but I have not heard anything back yet. Just going to have to get it flat bedded out of there anyway since there is salt and that calcium chloride stuff all the roads now.

I can post some pictures of the wheel wells when I get back. Do you just need to know where the bolts go for front or rear? There is some good pictures of when I have this thing all torn down earlier in the thread.

Yeah Both, Im interested in how it fits together.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Launching!

I will be receiving the Camaro back again tomorrow.

I started working on my wife's 99 medium blue metallic formula though. Getting a new 3.73 10 bolt rear end, 4l60e trans, GMMG exhaust and I got new lifters, high lift hot cam from the ws6 store, lifters, push rods and a BMR Torque arm. I can pretty much say after this winter project on her car; The baby can be driven around in style and get to those doctor appointments quickly. I can also say I will have touched every single nut and bolt and have pretty much mechanically fully resto-modded the car.

Quick Reply: LS1 into a 1970 Camaro