Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 into a 1970 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Felt pretty stupid, had the fuel level sensor and fuel pump wires crossed. Engine starts, runs and sounds good. I Will take a video of it soon for everyone.

I feel incredibly accomplished.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Always a good feeling when they start! Hopefully putting the 12v to the fuel level sender didn't fry it though.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

congrats
Old 05-21-2017, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Here is a link to it running

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-21-2017, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds nice, looks great! Tidy the wiring and install the interior to get driving!
Old 05-22-2017, 04:33 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds great..
Old 05-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Sounds nice, looks great! Tidy the wiring and install the interior to get driving!
I wish it was just those couple things. The glass still needs to go in, windshield and back window. Also need to get things like wipers, horn and other bits up and going. But there is hope for being on the road this year!
Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

That looks and sounds great !!! Congrats.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Launching!

So it starts and runs. Working on wiring and other small things.

All the gauges work. The fuel level sender works!

Mounted a factory horn and now have a wiring issue in the column, my suspicion is the traveling ring/spring for the button is not making good contact with the aftermarket steering wheel. I will take that off at a later date.

Found an LT1 throttle cable that is longer than the stock ls1 that is allowing the Throttle body to fully close now. The stock LS1 from the Fbody was to short by 2 inches and that was causing the TB to stay partially open. Had to widen out the firewall hole a bit for it mount. It is nice that the throttle works with the pedal now.

Mounted the coolant reservoir tank to the passenger inner fender. Looks good and is functional.

Pretty sure my Griffin radiator has a leak on the lower seams without any miles on it and maybe, maybe an hour of actual run time now. The radiator is all red towards the bottom passenger side. Not flowing fast but a very slow leak.

Trying to find a spot to mount this stuff up to under the dash. I am coming to the conclusion that I will have to make up some sort of bracket or get a thin piece of sheet metal. Otherwise I will be going to the firewall or defrost heat duct.

On the hunt for a new heater control unit without a/c. Pricey pieces.

Pushing off the cruise control for now. That is going to be an all night process I can feel it.

Tuesday and Wednesday night I will be able to spend some more time on it this week. Hopefully it will not be a 90 plus degrees inside the building without a fan or a/c. If that is the case, very little will be getting down.

Still praying to get it on the road by august. Even if it is just driving it around in the city and then hopefully the 30 miles out to my home.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Quick update:

Wiring is tucked up under the dash. Made up a piece for mounting the gauge cluster receiver to the back of the ash tray. Not to happy with it by the driver's foot but it should be alright as it points upwards. Also mounted the trip switches right under the column for easy access and hopefully no knee hitting.

Mounted my mirrors.

Appointment next Monday afternoon, getting the windshield and back glass reinstalled. Something I want a professional to do.

Goal for saturday is to figure out how the glass goes into the doors with the window regulators. 8 years ago I would have remembered how it went, now I am scratching my head. If I get the glass in I can get a plates and a temporary 10 day inspection to try it out.

Forgoing cruise wiring and the horn for now. I am sure there will be other kinks that need to be worked out before/sooner once it gets moving.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cferrel4
Quick update:

Wiring is tucked up under the dash. Made up a piece for mounting the gauge cluster receiver to the back of the ash tray. Not to happy with it by the driver's foot but it should be alright as it points upwards. Also mounted the trip switches right under the column for easy access and hopefully no knee hitting.

Mounted my mirrors.

Appointment next Monday afternoon, getting the windshield and back glass reinstalled. Something I want a professional to do.

Goal for saturday is to figure out how the glass goes into the doors with the window regulators. 8 years ago I would have remembered how it went, now I am scratching my head. If I get the glass in I can get a plates and a temporary 10 day inspection to try it out.

Forgoing cruise wiring and the horn for now. I am sure there will be other kinks that need to be worked out before/sooner once it gets moving.
Awesome!
Old 06-29-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm interested in see how bad your traction is with the 3.73s
Old 06-29-2017, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Quick update:

Mounted my mirrors.

Any chance the window regulator are close to being the same as my 79? I could swing by with it and let you have a look at mine.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds great. I like the gauges.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I'm interested in see how bad your traction is with the 3.73s
I have a feeling that a pair of good sticky tires will address that.

I am more concerned that the 10 bolt won't withstand the wrath of my wife stomping on it.

Windshield didn't come in and he did not like the clips I had purchased. So ordering new trim clips.

I am having a hell of time finding a wiper switch for this car. No one does reproductions.

Actually drove the camaro on the street a bit without the windshield and back glass in it. Feels good so far, got into 3rd gear. I will have to address and fix the driver's rear tail pipe so it does not bang.

Windows are in. Passenger one does not like to go up more than halfway, I will have to figure this out.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Waiting on a $420 order from Camaro central for door panel hardware, clips, window cranks and more.

Anyone know how to connect 2 different throttle cables? Trying to do cruise control and the one I need does not fit into the throttle cable bracket, the other one i have does but the end is not correct.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:40 PM
Teching In

Waiting on a $420 order from Camaro central for door panel hardware, clips, window cranks and more.

Anyone know how to connect 2 different throttle cables? Trying to do cruise control and the one I need does not fit into the throttle cable bracket, the other one i have does but the end is not correct.

https://youtu.be/MMoThQSh4CI
Any way to modify the bracket to make the cable with the correct end fit?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Gave up on the cruise control cable issue for now. Decided to focus on getting the door panels done and getting the car on the road.

Need to get the horn working and wipers on to pass inspection.

Got the registration and plates today for it. Hopefully drive it to work tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds and looks good!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds GREAT !!!

Quick Reply: LS1 into a 1970 Camaro