Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OBDII NY State inspection machines

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New OBDII NY State inspection machines

Some bad news for us in New York. My local inspection guy told me he got new machines from the state.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...195273441.html

Systech International, LLC ("Systech") has signed an exclusive contract with the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to sell 10,000 OBD inspection analyzers and implement a new data management system for motor vehicle safety and emissions inspections. .......

http://opusinspection.com/

Here's the bad part:

http://opusinspection.com/innovation...er-terminator/

Opus Inspection has obtained a provisional patent for the OBD Tamper Terminator™, the latest innovation for fraud detection that for the first time in the I/M industry focuses on fraud caused by motorists..........

and

.....The OBD Tamper Terminator is a system that works by interrogating the vehicle’s ECU with our patent-pending method. Based on analysis of the ECU interrogation, the system can distinguish vehicles that have been tampered from those that have not........

I guess my dreams of a post '95 hybrid have been dashed.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Fraud" ??? People are so incredibly stupid... also, please don't tell California about this.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

Fan ******* tastic.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

At some point an enterprising individual will develop an ECM/PCM emulator that tells the IM240 machine what it wants to hear in challenge/response. Very similar to what l33t warez hackers have done for years with software applications just needs hardware too.

But if they went further than verifying program/cal ID and checksum I'd be shocked.

Think of it as a 21st century version of the O2 sim
Old 01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

What "fraud" are they looking for?
Old 01-20-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Someone needs to tell big brother NY has much bigger problems to worry about. Unbelievable but not surprising. That is also why I still have cats, I don't want to deal with the b/s.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Welcome to obd3. Yes it is coming; realtime monitoring while you drive, reduced power if it sees any perceived 'issues' among other enhanced monitoring features. Just smile and grind your teeth.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got out of that libtard hell-hole 40 years ago and never looked back...
Old 01-20-2014, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

These threads always make me thankful for our lack of emissions testing in FL.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 PM
12 Second Club

Hey all, bringing this thread back to life. Any upate/experiences with this wonderful new test? I want to pop a cam in my 99 Corvette but I don't want it to be all for naught.
Old 03-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

I looked into this after reading. Apparently, this new machine was supposed to compare your inspection results with past results, to notice any large differences. It will also throw up flags if the operating system for the PCM changed (I think there are a total of 4 different kinds?). One big red flag is the VIN in the PCM. If you do a conversion on your car, make sure the tuner changes the VIN in the PCM to the vin of the vehicle you are installing it into.

This system is also supposed to sense if any of the monitors are disabled. Basically, if the car came with Cats and rear O2 sensors, you may want to make sure you swap them in.

Keep in mind, regardless if this is for an off road application only, as soon as you go to put the inspection sticker on, they could start looking at your car for discrepancies. Why else would you get an inspection unless you're going to drive it on the street?

So far, this new system is not up to what the manufacturer said it was and hasn't been able to do all this. Please keep it in mind though. When you mod your vehicle, tampering with emissions equipment (including in the PCM) of a vehicle, it is a violation of Federal Laws. I also know for a fact the NY State Vehicle and Traffic law has sections in reference to the same. VERY heavy fines everyone. I'm talking thousands of dollars per violation!
Old 03-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very depressing.
Anyone else old enough to remember Jersey Tpke. deducting arrival time from departure time on tickets (e.g., 32.15 miles in 27.80 minutes X 60 = 69 mph) as the basis for speeding summons? It was 50 years ago.
Now that they use license plate readers, that data coupled with your PCM history tells them how many hours you were parked at the mosque, and they use this to get a warrant...
Old 03-29-2016, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Lucky for me I wont build anything made after 1974, and most of my junk is all 1930s to 1960s.
What about parts installed that came with CARB exemption numbers?
NY seems to be following CAs ways so I expect this is already used in CA?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to see the NY tax dollars hard at work keeping the bad guys (car modifiers) off the streets lol. Pretty sure I remember NY having MUCH bigger issues than this.

FYI, one of my clients works on RFID and more advanced version of that technology. Unofficially I was informed of the technology which has been created and now in testing. Basically imagine EZ Pass Readers located strategically around the tri-state but this will have the capability of reading your ECU/PCM status as you drive by. Reading between the lines this would give them the capability to send you a nice envelope with a fine for "emissions issues." Hope the patents get lost somewhere lol.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Thats fucked up. All the states want is our money. More money coming in, more money they can siphon off for whatever they want. Most of the states do it. I am betting less than 70% of the BILLIONs of dollars the GOV. earmarked for road construction were ever used for road work.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Cool. I have a swapped and tuned (all sorts of **** turned off) computer in my 2000 silverado. Was just quicker and easier to buy a unit from the mail order tuner. It hasn't been inspected in a year and a half. I know, I know. But it's becuase it needs a crank relearn. Soooooooooooooo.

I bought HP Tuners so I could do the relearn and then start tuning the TA. Which has headers and off road h-pipe waiting for it in my basement.

S10xGN - I've been talking about getting out of here for years. One more reason.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn. I would hate for it to detune the Holley double pumper I have in my swap. I can see the minimum wage tech now looking for a place to plug in the machine.

OBDIII was going to require the phone home feature in all cars. Anytime the check engine light would come on it would phone in, either through a cell network or a roadside EZ pass type device, and you would get a smog check notice in the mail. The ONLY thing good about that was no regularly scheduled smog checks.

BUT OBDIII got shot down by people lobbying congress. Sometimes they actually listen.

What is to stop someone from keeping the stock ECU just for the smog check? They don't check the tail pipe anymore so who cares what it runs like.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Thats fucked up. All the states want is our money. More money coming in, more money they can siphon off for whatever they want. Most of the states do it. I am betting less than 70% of the BILLIONs of dollars the GOV. earmarked for road construction were ever used for road work.
You read my mind and I live in NYC.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Damn. I would hate for it to detune the Holley double pumper I have in my swap. I can see the minimum wage tech now looking for a place to plug in the machine.

OBDIII was going to require the phone home feature in all cars. Anytime the check engine light would come on it would phone in, either through a cell network or a roadside EZ pass type device, and you would get a smog check notice in the mail. The ONLY thing good about that was no regularly scheduled smog checks.

BUT OBDIII got shot down by people lobbying congress. Sometimes they actually listen.

What is to stop someone from keeping the stock ECU just for the smog check? They don't check the tail pipe anymore so who cares what it runs like.
Bumping this up. That's a very good point. I wonder if you could just flash the factory tune on it in the parking lot if it's a milder car.

Quick Reply: New OBDII NY State inspection machines